Do you think i should get an iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lukefinch, Aug 5, 2009.

?

Should i get an 8gb Black iPhone 3G on PAYG?

1. Yes, it will be well worth the money for you!

66.7%
  2. No, even though the nokia 5800 is slow, it is still a great phone

33.3%
  3. No, Look at other phones around the same price that are better than the iPhone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lukefinch macrumors 6502

lukefinch

Hi Everyone

My second question on this great, informative forum.

At the moment i have an 8gb iPod Touch 1st Generation and, dare i say it, a Nokia 5800 Phone.

I use my iPod touch all the time. I think everything about it is great. I love everything about it but mainly how easy it is to use.

As for the nokia 5800 though, i am on my second one now because my first one broke in the first 3 months! and my new replacement is still brand new in the box. Now this phone is great when you use it in the shop for a few minutes before you buy it, but using it everyday like i was is a real pain. It is quite slow and laggy and the UI is awful.

So now i need your opinion. Do you guys, and girls, think that i should buy a PAYG iPhone 3G for £342.50, which is a heck of a lot of money to me?

I know how much i use my ipod so the iPhone should be worth the money but i'll have to sell my nokia to get enough money for it. But if i do get the iPhone, i can then give my iPod touch to my brother so...

What do you think i should do?

Any opinions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

2. alFR macrumors 68020

It's up to you in the end, but I'd ask yourself the following:

How does the PAYG iPhone plan compare cost-wise to what you have now?
    How much will you get for the 5800 and can you really afford the iPhone?
    Does carrying 2 devices around annoy you (i.e. touch and another phone), or can you cope with that?
    Will you miss either the front-facing camera or the FM radio (and video recording if you go for a 3G not a 3GS) from the 5800?

Answer those and you'll hopefully be a bit further towards a decision.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

^^^2+ to advice.

To OP. The above post are the factors YOU need to weigh. ANy decision in life has pros/cons. You weigh the two and make a decision. We on MacRumors cannot make for you what is ultimately YOUR decision. Man up and decide on your own.

4. cap'njack macrumors member

If you could afford another £100 you could get a 16GB iPhone 3GS for £440.40. I personally would go for that one instead of the 8GB iPhone 3G :D

Only you can make the decision as to weather it makes financial sence to you though.

5. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

I say no... Don't get it... because if you are really asking US what YOU should do then you shouldn't own one.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

since I have no idea what payg is, I'm going to say get the iPhone - its great :)

7. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

As a rule of thumb, buy what you need.

What would you like to use the iPhone for? If it's just primarily for music and not for the phone usage or the applications, then I would suggest sticking with the iPod Touch.

Not only that, are you comfortable with the keyboard of the iPhone? The multitouch keyboard is not for everyone, some really don't like it and some just can't seem to get the hang of it.

Do you need a brand new phone now, or will the Nokia 5800 suffice? You could always wait a while until your contract allows for an upgrade/ends, and the u could always sign up for a new iPhone.

Also, what carrier are you on? If you're on T-Mobile, you could always consider getting a 2G iPhone compared to a 3G iPhone.

The original iPhone uses EDGE (2.75G), has a battery life rated at 8 hours, has an aluminum back, gets location on Google Maps through WiFi hotspots or cell phone triangulation.

The iPhone 3G uses both EDGE and UMTS/HSDPA (3G), battery life rated at 10 hours using only EDGE and 5 hours using only 3G, has a plastic back, gets location on Google Maps using assisted GPS, the speaker has been improved, and the headphone jack is no longer recessed.

So basically, you'd be paying about however extra money for the iPhone itself, for 3G service, a 2 hour extended battery life, improved speaker, recessed headphone jack, and a plastic back which is more prone to damage.

If you're not able to access the 3G network, personally, I think the 3G iPhone is much less appealing, and I'd recommend a solid 2G iPhone.

Just my two cents.

8. lukefinch thread starter macrumors 6502

lukefinch

Good points...

Firstly, i'm putting the contract sim card from my nokia 5800 into the iphone so the cost will be the same.

Secondly, i can get around £200 for my 5800 and have around £150 in the bank

Thirdly, yes carrying two devices is a bit of a pain, especially when im going somewhere like ice hockey training or the gym.

And lastly no, i will not miss either the front-facing camera or the FM radio from the 5800 because i have never really used them. Plus there are third party apps that allow video recording on the 3G.

By the way, PAYG means pay as you go, as in not on a contract :D

9. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

A great life skill is decision making. Ultimately it boils down to you, so don't listen to what a bunch of people who don't even know you personally say and instead decide for yourself if it makes sense.

10. akutad macrumors regular

akutad

How is it to slow? Before I bought the iphone I used a palm pilot and a nokia phone. Unless your using the nokia other then a phone perhaps then it's slow. But that's why you have the iPod Touch.

My iphone 3G is slow now so maybe the 3Gs is what you should be getting. No matter what you choose the decision will be pricey.

What I would do if I were in your shoes is use your current setup till next summer then get the iPhone 3Gs for the same price as the 3G. Only reason for this is the iPhone 3G' battery really blows and is getting kinda slow!