Do you think i should upgrade to OS X 10.5?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hunter6690, Jul 13, 2012.

1. hunter6690 macrumors newbie

I have a iBook G4 with PPC running OS X 10.4.11. I was wondering if i should upgrade to 10.5? Please post back with an answer.

:D hunter6690 :D

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Up to you. If Tiger is working for you then there's no reason to upgrade to Leopard.

/obvious

3. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

4. hunter6690 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If Leopard has features you want, sure.

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Before upgrading to a newer OS, check that your computer meets the system requirements, and be proactive in upgrading the memory if need be. You have not posted the specs of your iBook, but I seem to recall needing a processor with 867 MHz or greater, a combo or SuperDrive, 512 MB RAM, ~9 GB of hard drive space.

Even if you meet these minimum requirements, you also need to consider what you'll be using the computer for. If you're planning on syncing with an iPad, iPod touch or iPhone, you'll probably want iTunes 10.6.3 which will only run on Mac OS X 10.5 and later. Most newer software, in addition to needing 10.5 or later, may also require an Intel processor which you can't upgrade to without purchasing a newer system.

Ultimately the decision comes down to weighing being able to use the system for another year or so before it becomes completely unsupported by Apple, or biting the bullet and upgrading to a newer system that will last longer into the future and will likely be easier to maintain and still get help on.

7. Eddyala macrumors newbie

I live in the greatest city in the world-N.Y.C.
    I think if your Mac can take the upgrade then by all means do so. It should not be hard to find an upgrade if you don't have it. I did the same thing on my Powerbook laptop and it works just fine for all the things I'm using it for. It's nice to upgrade to the latest version if you can afford to do it, but not all of us the bucks to get a new system. So if your gonna do what you can with what you have then YES,by all means upgrade to OS X 10.5 and enjoy.