Do you think I would get an upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Joben David, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Joben David macrumors newbie

I bought my MBP online and received it in December last year. I found that the graphics card was not working and hence took it to an apple store where they confirmed my problem. I then called applecare who said they would replace the laptop. But I have not been able to send in my mac since I needed it for school work. Do you think if I waited to send it in until the updates I could benefit from it?

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

It's extremely unlikely. In my past experience with Apple Care replacements, I received the same old model, even after it was discontinued. Keep in mind the replacements are refurbs, so even if they stop manufacturing the old models and sell out of them, it's very unlikely you'll end up with a new model. That being said, I've heard rumors (never actually known someone it happened to) that with iPod replacements sometimes people have received an upgraded model. But even if that's happened I think it's blind luck and the kind of thing where one person at one store might get it while another at a store down the street gets the old model.

3. Joben David thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think I should wait just for the heck of it anyway?

4. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

How are you able to use it if the graphics card doesn't work? If it's working ok for you for now and you don't mind waiting indefinitely for the new releases (which hopefully will be within the next couple weeks) I guess you can wait. But it seems silly to have a broken computer longer than you have to holding out hope for a very unlikely benefit.

5. MacHipster macrumors 6502

When my iBook G3 went bad, it was replaced by Apple with an iBook G4.;)