Do you think iPad will run hot?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bodhi395, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I know no one knows yet, of course, but wondering what peoples speculation is about how hot the ipad will get. I know my original macbook burns my legs if I leave it on for any extended period of time and I have to place a pillow on my lap to use it. I also know my iphone doesn't seem to get too hot, although its much, much smaller.

So the question is what do you think about how hot the ipad will get?

I personally think it better not get very hot since the way Steve Jobs presented it was to place it right on your legs like a book.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. samcraig macrumors P6

The truth - no one knows yet.

I would imagine part of the equation is what you're doing with it. Are you doing processor intensive things while using 3G and the screen brightness turned up? Or are you just reading. Or checking email?

If the iPhone is any indication - yes - the iPad will get hot when it's doing a lot or playing a processor intensive game/app.

But since the iPad hasn't been placed in the public's hand nor has it been tested with every app - no one can say.

4. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Hot means wasted energy means long way from optimum battery life, therefore no.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Go grab the free game CHAOS for the iPhone (great and addicting game by the way) and play for 15-20 minutes. Phone heats up and battery life is ticking away. GPS/Google Maps and other such things drain the batter quickly while also running the processor on "overtime" making units warm/hot/very hot

So in theory and based on that data I disagree - but again - no one will know for sure until a) they get their own unit b) play with it using their configs/apps/usage

6. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

I'm trying not to think too much right now, I have a headache.

However. Not anymore hot than an iPhone.

7. WytRaven macrumors 6502

Bear in mind that the iPad has a much larger heat dissipation area and is aluminium bodied (read one giant heat sink). I would be very surprised if the iPad is not extremely thermally efficient.

8. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I it will depend on the design of the A4, the A4 might not get as hot as the iPhone CPU/chip and therefore the ipad could run very cold. But who knows?

9. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I think you'll be able to fry an egg on the back of the iPad. They made it curved though, so people wouldn't intentionally buy one to use as a griddle. ;)

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Probably similar to iPhone or iPod Touch. It won't be anything like our MBPs or iMacs.

11. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

First gen apple product = runs hot, screen issues and paying a price premium.

Who knows?

12. vertigo235 macrumors 6502

I just don't know if it's fair to call this a First Gen product though.

Pretty much all the technology is recycled from the iPhone, nothing is really new, except the A4 I guess, but I bet even that is an evolution above what we have in the iPhone right now.

13. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

The Ipad-system is much more powerful than the IphoneOS needs it to be.
    So it get things done faster and with more ease.

What would be hotter? A CPU running at >90% power, 90% of the time. Or a CPU which runs at like 10% of it's power 90% of the time, with some occasional crunching?

14. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

We should get to hold one personally to know the answer.

15. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

I know what your problem is, you are watching flash videos or playing flash games?

You'll be happy to know that since the iPad doesn't do flash, you won't have problems with it overheating :rolleyes:

16. robj macrumors regular

I don't think so, as Apple is removing Adult Applications from Apple Store :cool:

17. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

18. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Don't worry - - there'll be third party accessories for that!

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Lets see
    when I owned a Mac Pro it ran hot
    My MBP runs hot
    My iPhone can get rather hot when playing some games.

Will the iPad get hot, yes, I do. Will it be as bad as the MBP probably not since its been designed to be held and used on placed on a desk.

I don't think apple can design a device that runs cool so the Ipad will follow suit.

20. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Damn you laws of physics!

[​IMG]

21. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

No one can really know yet. But if I had to guess, about as hot as an iPod touch.

22. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I bet it will just like the iPhone when browsing the web for some time or playing games.

23. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Except for the fact that metal has a high specific heat capacity. So while it may disperse heat well the temperature also increases fast which translates to the ipad feeling hot.

24. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Actually, the higher the specific heat, the lower the temperature will be. Aluminum has one of the highest specific heats of all the metals. It's thermal conductivity is also relatively high which translates to dispersing heat well.

So, it will heat up faster but won't get as hot.