Do you think iPhone "SE" would have next gen encryption?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Quicklite, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Quicklite macrumors regular

They're apparently working on more advanced encryption. Do you think they'll roll it out with SE (timing might be too confrontation with the privacy debate)? Or is it more likely for them to do it with 7? (when privacy debate is possibly more settled down)

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

If they are just working on it it's not likely it would come out with something that is essentially within weeks of being released. Hard to say that it'll be even out by the time the next iPhone revision is out at the end of the year. So far it seems that the current encryption methods are quite good given that part of the whole current issue with it all is that the government can't access what it wants.

3. Quicklite thread starter macrumors regular

You're probably right - it's difficult to get things right in a hurry.

4. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

I could be wrong, but it sounds like the enhancements they're considering, mainly locking themselves out of devices, is software based. If it happens I'd expect it in iOS X.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I think the new encryption method is mostly software and will likely work on any of the "latest" iPhones.

6. MrAverigeUser, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016

MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

Since now we know that the FBI demanded already mid 2015 to crack systematically iPhones (see the decision of a juge in NY) and Tim Cook refused already at that time to do this, and since apple bought an enterprise being specialized on security firmware in 2015, I think at least on the hardware- side the SE will be well-equipped, maybe already on the firmware/IOS side...

Maybe also that the 1-week delay of the presentation is due to the first reaction of apple about the totalitaristic demands of the FBI... ( in the New York case apple's lawyers stated that the USA demanded even more iPhones to be cracked than China did...)

I have two iP 5 and my privacy concerns are the only reason why I upgraded on IOS9 and why I will replace them either with two 5s (additional hardware- security) or two SE (+ up-to-date processor = hopefully futureproof until 2019) ...