Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pepperfection

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
I meant 2019!!! Sorry!!!

Or will it be the third year for the X design(same with 6, 6S, 7... all the way to 8)?

Last edited:

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
If you think about it, the design really has not changed since the intro of 6. Sure the materials have changed, but the overall design is pretty darn similar from the 6 all the way to the XS line. So in that sense, I hope they do something a little different next year. That is even more true when you consider they seem to be running out of compelling features to add to the phone. I think even with a redesign, we are probably around peak iPhone as far as sales are concerned.

Reactions: subjonas

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
There are rumours on USB-C, but I don't quite believe that for 2019.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
I meant 2019!!! Sorry!!!

Or will it be the third year for the X design(same with 6, 6S, 7... all the way to 8)?

No 2019 will be the same design.
2020 we should see a new chassis
Apple like intel are now employing a Tick Tock tock cycle.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
The real question is WHY DO PEOPLE CARE about a new design? If the phone is remains functional, who cares? I don't know why people expect such radical design changes...

Oh... and if you say, "I get bored...", you have more problems than just a phone.

Reactions: Table Top Joe

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I agree with the majority of posts here that it will have the same chassis for 3 or 4 years. X came out in 2017 so that means 2020 or 2021 for the X looking frames. Then I think it will be fold up phones as the next form factor along with watches that can work without the iPhone nearby.
[doublepost=1537151986][/doublepost]
I won't buy a phone with a notch so I hope so.

Any phone manufacturer can built the sensors and cameras into the screen but it requires lots of sophisticated assembly. I think they will have it assembled in a module and then place it into the back of the screen that has to be translucent. It will not happen in the near future but might be doable in 5 years or so. But by then it foldable phones!

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
I agree with the majority of posts here that it will have the same chassis for 3 or 4 years. X came out in 2017 so that means 2020 or 2021 for the X looking frames. Then I think it will be fold up phones as the next form factor along with watches that can work without the iPhone nearby.
That’s how the cellular watches work now.

Hands-free, like glasses, along with the watch will probably catch on more eventually.

Falcon9

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Eastern Canada
My guess is that the 2019 iPhones will retain a similar design, with a smaller (but still present) notch. Maybe USB-C but I’d be kinda surprised honestly (IMO I’d rather Apple stick with the lightning connector anyway as it seems like a more durable design and it’s pretty ubiquitous these days). I think the main features will be pro-motion and a triple lens camera. 2020 might see the disappearance of the notch but I wouldn’t be surprised if that only finally happens in 2021 or 22 since 2020 will likely by an “S” year and see no significant physical design change.

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
There are rumours on USB-C, but I don't quite believe that for 2019.

I think Apple will try selling $25 USB C to Lightning cables for the foreseeable future since many people have to pay a premium to get fast charging. I think it's really greedy on their part, but who knows about 2019? I just want to get my hands on the XR.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I would guess that the face I’d hardware might shrink in the next generation or so.
At some point the tech will exist and be cheap enough to hide the cameras/sensors under the display, at that point I imagine Apple nixes the notch. Until then, I would assume we see Apple go thinner and less bezel with new versions, maybe back to straight sides at some point.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No, I don’t think the design will be new. I do expect the triple lens camera to make a debut next year for the “11 Max”, which would be a significant change to the components for the camera, but the form factor the same.

Pepperfection

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
The real question is WHY DO PEOPLE CARE about a new design? If the phone is remains functional, who cares? I don't know why people expect such radical design changes...

Oh... and if you say, "I get bored...", you have more problems than just a phone.

Seems like some of your posts here, you complain why other people want other things than you. “Why are people this or that...”. Stop being passive aggressive dude. Why does it bother you so much when other people want/expect other things?

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I think that Jony Ive’s end-game with a ridgid iphone is to get to a slab of featureless glass on the front.

I think the current design of the X is near the end game for this, with just a few year on year iterations:

So like many others on this thread, I expect Apple to first shrink the Face ID component so the notch is shallower and then to move it all under the display (if that’s even possible).

Then I expect the side buttons to be fully haptic - for greater reliability and even better waterproofing. And the lightening port made fully waterproof.

(Next year, I suspect that Apple’s promo videos will feature lots of people snorkelling whilst taking videos with their phones).

I wouldn’t be surprised if in near-future (high end) phones, the lightening port is removed entirely.

The QI charging will have to be made faster (10w) for that to happen and some sort of independent (of the main system) secure way to connect to the phone wirelessly.

I suspect that this might even be a next year thing. Apple is relentlessly pushing wireless headphones for a reason, I think.

Under the hood, I think we’ll see even more efficient low power cores as Apple really improves battery life, with YoY performance gains slowing down as Apple focus on battery efficiency. Oh and GPU gains (for AVR).

And of course the usual camera gains.

So no, I don’t think we’ll see a huge redesign. Just meaningful feature improvements.

And then of course there’s a foldable iPhone, which no doubt Apple is working on... And I’m not even going to hazard a guess as to what that’ll be like, except SE users will likely be able to rejoice!

EDIT: oh and 5g...

Last edited:
Reactions: balaplus

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Let's ask for an iPhone 4 retro design... Image the 11 Max, with flat sides and SS frame, color matching glass back.
They can make the flat edge style phone look much better then this generation of curved glass and screen. It would be more durable as they can lay the glass inside the entire frame.
My favorite design was the 4’s it was ahead of its time. Only bad part is the glass was sandwiched between the frame with the glass exposed all around.
The five almost fixed this but the glass still wasn’t flush and actually sitting inside the frame.
Apple can do it now and make it look amazing. I like the curved style of the 6 and on but at the same time I don’t and think the boxier edges made the phone easier to hold and just looked better.
Bring back iPhone 4 style Apple!!!

Reactions: Moonjumper
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.