Do you think it comes with the SIM pre-installed?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by deckwalker, Mar 13, 2010.

1. deckwalker macrumors member

It seems very unlikely to me that the SIM would come pre-installed, but check out what the Apple page says about 3G "You don’t need to visit a store to get 3G service. You can sign up, check your data usage, manage your account, or cancel your service — all from your iPad."

Sounds like it's pre-installed, but that seems unusual to me.

Any thoughts?

2. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

Yes. A SIM is included. Since this is a device you can self activate, its is not all that strange. When you purchase a pre-paid phone for ATT or TMOBILE a sim is included. Since Apple is a partner with ATT, and that ATT is the only carrier in the USA that support the frequency included in the iPAD for 3G, there is no reason not to include a SIM... Which to me is not odd..

3. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

of course it will be. I expect 95+% of the iPad's users to not even know there is a "slims card" in there to begin with. Apple wants this to be simple and easy, remember how they made the 3g service control panel?

4. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

The 3G service number that is installed on the account, I wonder if that can be changed to a more local number?

5. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

doubtful. it is really just for billing purposes and likely will not accept calls.