Do YOU think it is worth upgrading to iOS5 from iOS4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Myiphone7, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

Right now I have an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3.3.

I am jailbroken, over-clocked so it's blazing fast, & have some good apps not available in the app store like text notifier, and most notably Grooveshark.

While I know 5.1.1 can be untethered jailbroken, my iPhone is running really smooth, and is simply working flawlessly - fast, reliable, efficient, and useful.

The only feature I would get if I did upgrade to iOS 5.1.1 is Siri0us from Cydia, which will let me voice to text.

Thoughts?

2. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    The only thing that really matters is if YOU think it's worth it

The features of iOS 5 are well documented.

3. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

It's not a huge difference. I updated to 5.0.1 because my iPhone would never let me restore to 4.3.3 for some reason (some stupid iTunes error kept on showing). Since there was an untethered jailbreak i had no problem.

OS wise it is minor differences. You have notification center but i rarely notice it. It is not really very flexible even after tweaking it and i have pretty much abandoned it.

4.3.3 is fine IMO unless you really need siri0us and use one of those Apple apps like pages etc which need you to upgrade.

4. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I'm still on 4.1 because of certain features not compatible for 5.0+ and have no regrets. My iPhone only chugs after a reboot/restart for about 10-15 seconds and after that its smooth, so its not big deal.

5. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking along these lines. I've used iOS 5 and I think I might like iOS 4 more because of it's simplicity. It is simpler than iOS 5.

Initially notification seemed like something that could be very useful, but I can see it's use & importance fading quickly.

6. noiceT macrumors 6502a

For me, a lot of the push comes from apps that don't support anything below ios5. I dunno, I think it's a waste if you stay down in 4. At least try out 5 before you pass on it.

Or I guess you could just wait until 6. Or are you going to pass on that too?

7. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't use to many apps to be honest. Plus I just got speech to text an hour ago from Cydia, the only feature of the iPhone 4 S I wanted.

My iPhone being as fast as it is definitely is a deterrent for upgrading for now.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Yes, update to it.

and

LMAO that you overclocked it; it's not possible and you are just seeing a placebo effect.

9. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Wouldn't that make the battery drain faster, and create more heat, since you're making the processor run faster?

11. The New iPad macrumors regular

He didn't really overclock it. He just installed a tweak that changes the duration of UI animations. Pretty sad he believed he actually overclocked it and walks around thinking he's a tech genius.

12. taedouni macrumors 65816

1) I am pretty sure that it is impossible to OC an iPhone.
    2) Yes you should upgrade. Why in God's name would you try to justify using an old OS. There are plenty of new features in iOS 5 that you are missing out on.

13. iCallum macrumors newbie

Did you use fakeclockup? If so like other people have said it just speeds up UI animations. You can still use fakeclockup on ios5.......I think it is worth it :)

14. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Yep - it's definitely worth it. I upgraded to iOS 5 and ran a tethered JB (have yet to restore and run the untethered, but I will). Mostly small things, but it gets frustrating not being able to install/update certain App Store apps, etc.

If you're happy on 4.X, then leave it. If you see a feature app that you want that's only on 5.X - time to upgrade...

15. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

I would say do NOT go to 5.0. It made my iPhone 4 feel like a 3gs.
    This is a similar situation to the iphone 3gs on IOS 4. It can run the os version, but it runs much faster on the previous IOS release. I am actually contemplating whether to buy a new iphone 4s or download an older version of IOS and rollback to the older, faster IOS.
    Besides most of the time the notifications are annoying.
    Oh yeah, and iphone 4 cant do siri anyway.

16. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Were you jailbroken? Did you "set up as new iPhone" when restoring? Sounds like something is wrong with your phone/firmware. Either that or it's placebo... Have you checked your RAM w/ SBSettings, etc.?

17. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

What do you mean "it gets frustrating not being able to install/update certain App Store apps"?

18. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i didnt know you knew this guy on a personal level..

----------

what features? just curious

19. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Sorry - could have worded that a little better... If he's on 4.X, he's not able to update or install certain App Store apps that are only compatible with iOS 5 - that was one of the major reasons I updated...

20. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got the speech to text it's all I needEd. Plus my iPhone is way faster than the iPhone 4 S so I'm afraid if I buy the new iPhone I'll get bored at the speed and have to JB & over clock again ugh

21. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

How did you overclock your iPhone? What exactly was the process? Is there a write up for it? Would you make one if there's not? And what prevents you from doing it on the 4S if you can do it on the 4?

The 4S has an A5 processor, which is generally faster than the A4 found in the iP4. Is there something that prevents a clock up of the A5? If so, what is it?

After all of this rambling on about how you've over-clocked your phone, I'm sure there are others here that would like more details.

22. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah yeah, but I'm saying if he really DID overclock it he would face battery & heat issues.

23. Kayan macrumors 6502

Upgrade, reinstall fakeclockup (not an overclock) and you'll be happy. I don't see why you wouldn't update while it is still JB'en...all the frills and fancy features that you claim to dislike can either be disabled or ignored in iOS5.

24. The New iPad macrumors regular

Stop mentioning this like it's a chore. All you're doing is installing FakeClockUp in Cydia which takes 10 seconds.

25. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not easy. It requires a lot of dedication, work, and know how. But you must access the fstab file, edit in notepad, add a few lines, and files; Once you reboot, assuming it has worked and you do not need to start the whole process over again, you will have a brand new fully over clocked iPhone 4 running faster than you can imagine.

I can post the instructions on here when I have time.

Also, to the posters who think fakeclockup is a real OC, I hate to burst your bubble. While some programs similar to this claim to be a real OC and might SEEM to be faster, the truth is this:

It is simply speeding up the animation. The actual CPU is no faster. My apologies if I have disappointed anyone.