Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think it would work?

• Yes

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Get a Job You Lazy Bum.

Votes: 27 79.4%

• Total voters

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
I created a site to raise money for a car in return for advertisement on the car once I get it. It's almost like the milliondollarhomepage, but with a car and way less than a million dollars.

I made this site as a project to succeed my first project INeedaniPod.com about 2 years ago which raised $41.50. Do you think it'll work. Do you think I should offer more in return for a donation. One ad on the car costs 20 bucks. If I don't raise enough by September 1st I'll refund the donations or buy a car that I can afford if close enough.

I did not post the site because it would be advertising, if you want to see you can PM me.

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
I actually think you have a chance. Advertising is a good idea, but I don't know how much you could actually get. I think it's largely dependent upon your time frame and your personal advertising ability.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
IOne ad on the car costs 20 bucks.

How many $20 ads will fit on one car?

Assume the car is 15 feet long and has sides 3 feet tall on both sides. That's 90 square feet. Add in a hood that is just under 4 feet square and you have about 100 square feet of space. Likely you have less.

How big is a $20 ad? no one will pay for a 1 inch square ad on a car. Let's say the ads are one foot square. If so you can sell 100 ads.

What car sells for $2,000? Nothing new or even close to new. Nothing that I would want to place an ad on. You will have to raise the price to about $200 per ad or $1,000 for a five square foot ad.

Not many peope will buy $200 ads that are a foot square and no one would pay anything for an ad on a peice of junk $2,000 used Honda.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
How many $20 ads will fit on one car?

Assume the car is 15 feet long and has sides 3 feet tall on both sides. That's 90 square feet. Add in a hood that is just under 4 feet square and you have about 100 square feet of space. Likely you have less.

How big is a $20 ad? no one will pay for a 1 inch square ad on a car. Let's say the ads are one foot square. If so you can sell 100 ads.

What car sells for $2,000? Nothing new or even close to new. Nothing that I would want to place an ad on. You will have to raise the price to about $200 per ad or $1,000 for a five square foot ad.

Not many peope will buy $200 ads that are a foot square and no one would pay anything for an ad on a peice of junk $2,000 used Honda.

The ads will be 3x3 inches. I used post-its as a model. I'm assuming 1,000 can fit. The car is a mustang. I tried to do the math but I couldn't get the surface area considering I only had measurements from a dealership. I know the car is pretty big and I have all of the car to use minus the headlights, mirrors, and windows.

Delicious-Apple

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2006
I think you could make it work. Anything can be done!! It's a case of... how much do you want it to work; nothings ever easy. Not in real life. :p You gotta spread the word and get yourself noticed.

Good luck, I hope you get there :)

Coolnat2004

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
I don't know about that.. no one is going to read a 3 inch ad, and if they do, they surely aren't going to read many of them.. or care about them other than wondering why there are ads on a car.

Delicious-Apple

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2006
I don't know about that.. no one is going to read a 3 inch ad, and if they do, they surely aren't going to read many of them.. or care about them other than wondering why there are ads on a car.

Tis true. You could probably do with adapting your strategy a yikkle bit. There is a lot of competition for innovative marketing and the ROI. You gotta forget about the prize to begin with and focus on giving advertisers value for money and getting the project seen. Then it will work, fa shoa.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Have you thought about how much it will cost for the extremely time consuming, custom job to have all of these ads on the car, whether they be painted, applied, or whatever? Seems like that might cost as much as the car itself, depending on how it's done.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
hahaha aren't you the guy who said this was your math problem?? that's hilarious.

I mentioned it was for a personal project. Skimming through threads I see? :p

Have you thought about how much it will cost for the extremely time consuming, custom job to have all of these ads on the car, whether they be painted, applied, or whatever? Seems like that might cost as much as the car itself, depending on how it's done.

I'll do it myself. I haven't decided whether I'd do it via decal, giant sticker or stencil and spray paint. Each method costs about 2 grand. Decal is the most time consuming.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
I was trying to find this site that advertised on the college campus I attended.

you either let them plaster your car with ads and get paid, or, they give you a brand new ad-plastered car to drive. you just pay gas.

dont know if it was legit, but i didnt see it on that site.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
I saw someone pay for a MBP this way but a car's in a different league.

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
I think you will really struggle. Milliondollarhomepage has a few key advantages over a car

1. It is viewable by anyone in the world, not just the people who live near you
2.you can click on the adverts to get to the advertisers site straight away (so you don't forget).
3. Milliondollarhomepage won't be travelling at 70mph while I try and read it
etc etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.