Do you think it's insane to do this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrew086, Aug 17, 2010.

1. andrew086 macrumors regular

Do you think it's insane to sell and upgrade your MacBook Pro every refresh (unless it's a terrible update)? Because a lot of previous generation MacBook Pros go for a fairly high price ($1200+ usually), and I always like to have the latest and greatest :). It's also nice to have a shiny new MacBook Pro. I do a lot of gaming (mainly source games), programming, and video rendering on my computer. Is this a bad idea? Because based on the buyer's guide averages, the next refresh could be as soon as November 7th.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. ceshimm macrumors member

not insane at all. It is all about money and how much you love apple products. i've heard some members here do upgrade their toys after every refresh.:) well i can't afford that game, so i won't do that. But i think they are not insane.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'd ask why but in the end it's your money. Over time don't you think the money you save by not upgrading each refresh could be put to better use? Even if you resell you lose $100-$500 on each product for what? Bragging rights?

5. Yimbie macrumors member

I actually decided to purchase the 2009 MBP 17" because the 2010 version was almost $550 more for essentially a very small improvement for my needs.

Biggest reason other than price is the Intel HD card causing so many issues with lag. Also... 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo to 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5 (with more heating issues) and better nVidia graphics card wasn't worth the jump at all since the most intensive thing I was going to really do was watch movies and do some small video editing.

I got essentially a cooler, better integrated graphics card, and equivalent speed (for me) notebook for $550 less... purchased new.

I'll wait for a significant improvement (not a minor refresh) to sell this one and use the money to purchase another one.

6. Yimbie macrumors member

It's actually about having the latest and greatest and bragging rights. I've never heard anyone doing a minor upgrade just because they love Apple products... even though the design is exactly the same other than some ports.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Are you for real about the bragging rights? Who are you gonna brag to that cares? The Barista's at the local cafe? Your college classmates that are probably more interested in marijuana and the opposite sex rather than some geeks new laptop? What are you gonna say, "hey look I have the new Apple i7 Macbook Pro"? Nobody will really notice the difference because most of Apple's computers continue to look the same year after year.
    Bragging rights only work for you when you buy something new and unusual and barely anyone else has one. :p

8. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

not insane just to time consuming for me, i do like the latest greatest =D haha and my old mac cost me about $500 a year to own, so if you lose $500 to own it for a year? and you got what you wanted and the buyer got what they wanted?