Do you think it's smart to backup your computer via cloud service?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by palmerc2, Oct 10, 2013.

1. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Just curious. Right now I back up to an external drive via time machine. I've never really considered cloud service until recently. It's so cheap, and it sorta makes sense, because I've been thinking - what if my external drive crashes? What if there's a fire while I'm gone?

Do you think cloud storage is safe? As in, do you think your data is safe? Is there a particular service you recommend?

2. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

I use Mozy as a cloud backup in addition to a local Time Machine backup to an external usb drive. I do it because if there was a fire or a theft I would very likely use both my MacBook Air and the external drive and all of my pictures and data. http://mozy.com/products

3. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Like foxfith, i do both, because with a lot of data it would be a complete PITA to restore from the cloud so i use TM for "normal" backup/restore and cloud is for a dire emergency like a fire or theft.

4. snarfquest macrumors regular

I use Backblaze and have been very happy with them.

5. MeUnix macrumors 6502

I do both external backups and a cloud backup. I decided to have a cloud backup because of the same reasons; what if there is a robbery or a fire? I want to be able to have all my important information and files safe.

I also use Mozy as some other members have mentioned.

- Kyle

6. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

As a primary backup, no.

As a guard against theft, fire or other issues that might impact your everyday backup, it makes eminent sense.

Hence, in addition to duplicative Time Machine backups across several disks for all the family computers, I back up my mission-critical machine to Backblaze.com.

----------

Also, back in my windows days, I had a backup drive fail. Hence the duplicative local backups.

7. benwiggy macrumors 68020

In case of fire, theft, or other Acts of God: use Cloud Backup.
    In case your cloud company goes bust, randomly deletes your data, or either of you lacks the internet, etc: have a local one.

8. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I use both TM and CrashPlan (cloud) for my backups. I don't back up EVERYTHING to CrashPlan, only the stuff I absolutely can't get back (mainly photos). Bank statements, credit card statements, anything I can download again from the original source gets left out of the cloud backup. I even left my VM out of the cloud backup (and the TM backup I believe), I don't store data in it, it's JUST the Windows install and one application. Any data I use in the VM is hosted in OS X in a TrueCrypt volume that IS backed up.

CrashPlan lets you use their app for free, if you use a friend or family member as a destination for your backup. If you want to use their servers you need to pay.

9. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

What do you mean by safe?

In general it is safer to have a backup than not.

From the security perspective any sensitive data should be encrypted on your side rather than the cloud so you are in control of the security.