Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonnyApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
As a college student I purchased an iPad as I thought it would be useful with school doing things such as taking notes and carrying all my textbooks on it as ebooks/PDFs. Ive quickly learned that getting textbooks on the iPad
Is just not really feasible as the selection is awful - and most apps only let you rent textbooks (for a ridiculously high price) so that U can access them on only on the Internet over a limited period of time. I've even tried finding PDF torrents of text books and using good reader but I'm having no luck (and the books I needare widely used textbooks).

Its nice having something so light and convenient to access the Internet with especially at a huge campus like mine- but I do find that I prefer surfing the Internet on my MacBook better anyway, where I can multitask, (or at least chat while surfing web) and use gestures (seriously the lack of gestures on the iPad is disturbing).

Do tout ink it would be in my best interest to just get my money back for this thing? Thanks.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
If you don't think you are getting the use out of it you thought you were going to then you should sell it. No point of keeping it just to have an iPad if it isn't getting used.

I haven't had a problem getting any of the textbooks which I needed for my course. I have found PDF's of every book I have needed and either kept them on my iPad as PDF (To add annotations etc with GoodReader) or used Calibre to convert them to ePub format and open them with iBooks.

JonnyApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
If you don't think you are getting the use out of it you thought you were going to then you should sell it. No point of keeping it just to have an iPad if it isn't getting used.

I haven't had a problem getting any of the textbooks which I needed for my course. I have found PDF's of every book I have needed and either kept them on my iPad as PDF (To add annotations etc with GoodReader) or used Calibre to convert them to ePub format and open them with iBooks.

If you don't mind me asking - where did u find your textbooks

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Just through Google. Name of the textbook then .pdf of the end.

How are you annotating with Goodreader? Most of the PDFs I have appear to be image scans so you can't highlight. Is there an app that allows freeform highlighting?

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

What do you mean by very high price for texts? You object to paying standard retail price because you believe you're entitled to them for free? (Im sure I would have added a couple of thousand to my student loan when I was a student on text books)

For generation students have paid exorbitant prices for txt books. It's the way it is.

That aside amazon has quite a good range of texts avaliabe for down load. I have several texts on my iPad. Goodreader app can manage txts in PDF form. There are various apps for your desktop that can convert PDF to ePub and viceversa.

My main issue is I don'nt personally find the iPad good for reading large volumes of text at a time. Also if you are going to be writing essays etc the iPad is not a great tool.

I'd buy your self a laptop if I were you.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I think iOS 5 is supposed to have more gestures for the iPad but can't recall. You can easily chat and surf on the iPad, I do it all the time with IM+ Pro, it runs in the background and alerts you when you get a new message.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
How are you annotating with Goodreader? Most of the PDFs I have appear to be image scans so you can't highlight. Is there an app that allows freeform highlighting?

I just use the option in GoodReader what looks kind of like a speech bubble and write what I want and then place it to the side next to the line which I am talking about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.