Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do You think it's worth it to pay extra $100 for 16 gb

• Yes !!! Black

Votes: 97 49.7%
  • Yes !!! White

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • Yes, but only because you can't get white 8gb.

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • No !!! 8 gb is enough.

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • No, I keep 1st Generation

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • What is an iPhone?

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters

ZDDP1273

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
Not for me. I'm mainly going to be using my phone as a phone and not as an iPod so I don't need all that memory.

FJR

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
Oddly because I have so much music, its not worth it to me.

I have around 60 gigs of music alone (just music, not including videos, etc). If they made an 80 gig iPhone, I'd almost definitely buy it, but to me there isn't a real difference between 16gb and 8gb, since I am already having to manage it with playlists. I usually just do a random sampling of 4 and 5 star rated songs, and there is no way I'd listen to them all before the next time I synced over night (which is when I rotate my playlists).

Sometimes I just pick artists and/or albums I want to listen to, and with that method I don't even usually fill up more than 2 or 3 gb.

While youtbue is fine for me on the iPhone, I don't particularly enjoy watching tv shows and definitely not movies on the iPhone, which could possibly move me into the 16bg camp.

If this one breaks, (I have an 8gb 2G) I'll probably just see if I can get a really really cheap 4gb, since almost nobody buys those things.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Definitely worth it!

With all the stuff you can put on it, the more space the better.

Before I bought mine I was debating between the two as well. I decided to
spring the extra $100 and feel safe that I will have enough space rather than be forced to always delete something when i wanted to put something new on it.

It really depends on if you use the ipod and if you will go app crazy!

FJR

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
Definitely worth it!

With all the stuff you can put on it, the more space the better.

Before I bought mine I was debating between the two as well. I decided to
spring the extra $100 and feel safe that I will have enough space rather than be forced to always delete something when i wanted to put something new on it.

It really depends on if you use the ipod and if you will go app crazy!

right now, you could download every single app in the app store on an 8gb iPhone and not run into a problem with hard disk memory and even have room left for plenty of songs.

The only real reason to get 16gb is if you want all of your music or you have significant video on your phone.

mac'inmama

macrumors regular
May 6, 2005
Southeast USA
I think since I am known to never delete anything and I want to use lots of the apps out there, 16 gigs is the way to go. My 8 gig is already over half full, and that was making me nervous, so this should be a nice upgrade.

FJR

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
How big are the more expensive apps?

actually when I thought about it, my figuring was based on the "at launch" figures of slightly over 500 apps at an average of slightly over 9MB.

Also, I that was jsut for loading the apps, apps that also use signficant user generated memory (for instance saved songs on Band) could push it further.

But still, a LARGE app is 30MB. The largest I've seen was 50MB.

Just as a point of reference, for monkey ball (a very LARGE app), you could fit 240 copies of it on your 8gb iphone easily.

Aiphanes

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
South Texas
There are supposely over 900 apps in the app store right now...

There are people holding off buying the 16 GB iphone wanting a 32 GB iphone. You can never have enough space.

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
Just makes sense to get double the storage for free, plus I have a 32gb ipod touch, never have too much space.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I sold my 1st generation iPhone for too little and too hastily I think. I sold it via craigslist - not a posting but a buyer advert for $200 when I think I could have gotten $300-350 via craigslist without even going to eBay to sell. My phone was perfect with a BestSkinsEver skin that kept it flawless and a Crystal Film Set screen protector. It had no blemishes or marks and worked great. Battery was still awesome and I even restored the phone back to 1.1.4 for the guy even though I had gone to 2.0. I included the sync cable and dock but not power block or headphones and the original box as well as the iPhone cloth which too was mint.

I didn't want to be out more than the tax, new skin, and activation fee, so I went with a new 8GB. The $100 probably would have been worth it for the 16GB b/c of the App Store and to hold more music. I never had my 8GB full and so out of pocket it wasn't worth it, but had I sold my phone for another $100 then I would have for sure.
:(

jakeacc

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Rule of thumb, always buy the largest capacity iPod or iPhone that you can afford.

If you plan on having the phone for the next two years minimum, thats a lot of time for new Apps, games, higher-quality iTunes music/movies to be released.

And most of us here have way more than 16 GBs worth of music so the more of our collection that we can get on our iPhones, the better.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Rule of thumb, always buy the largest capacity iPod or iPhone that you can afford.

A rule I try to live by. One thing I hate about the ipod and the iphone is that the storage capacity cannot be increased without dropping another $300-$600 for another ipod or iphone. I'd rather get the biggest I can get and just pray that it will be enough. :D

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Space is arguably the biggest reason I am upgrading to 3G soon so absolutely I would pay more for it

Hell, I would be willing to pay another $100 for a 32 gig

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I'm keeping my first generation iPhone. However, if I was going to get the 3G version, I would most definitely spring for the 16GB one.

Alloye

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2007
Rocklin, CA
It's worth it to me as I no longer carry an iPod in addition to a phone. The extra storage allows me to keep more of my favorite music in my pocket. :)

txr0ckabilly

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Southwest Louisiana
i had every intention of buying a 16g but the night before launch day i found out my wife was eligible for upgrade so i went with 2 8g instead. i carry my old ipod nano for music only because in my line of work when i want to listen to music i'm in a hot paint booth and sweat is not something i want my iphone to experience. i can't take calls in the booth anyway so i just leave it in my desk drawer and carry the nano.

i still have my 80g classic (with about 77g of music- it's full) in my wife's tahoe, which pretty much always stays there. the nano comes and goes out my jeep with me and it's so small and old that i don't mind if it gets scratches or eventually breaks because of abuse.

the wife has her 3rd gen nano 8g for music that she uses for working out, i can't see her using her iphone at the gym. plus your not aloud to have cell phones in the weight room or aerobic classes.

with all the apps i have on my phone now- no games other than solitaire and aurora feint, there's still like 7g free space.

so no it really wasn't worth it to me. i'm not looking at selling later either because i've got kids chomping at the bit waiting for another iphone to come out knowing they will get mine when it arrives.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I ordered a 16gb iphone and think it is worth it. I already have more than that in music. I think a good reason to go with the 16gb is if they ever do come out with a turn by turn direction software, that will definitely be a very large app, probably much more than any app currently offered at the store. Other types of apps could also be on the large side in the future, and best to have that extra space. I would ideally have liked for apple to have released at 32gb iphone, but I'm guessing they are waiting to bring that out sometime in the next 6 months probably.

cjandnw

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
South Jersey
Definitely get the most storage you can afford. You will add music, pictures, podcasts, videos and apps.
Also if there are 3rd party GPS apps, you may need to store large amounts of maps and related data.

umop apisdn

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
Essex, UK
The number one reason I upgraded to iPhone 3G (16gb black) from my original iphone (8gb) was the jump in storage capacity.

Especially now we have the app store, makes a huge difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.