Do you think it's worth upgrading from a 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MarcBook, Oct 18, 2011.

?

Do you think it's worth upgrading from a 4?

1. Yes, I think the 4S is a worthy successor to the 4 and it's worth upgrading.

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No, it's a relatively minor upgrade and it's probably worth waiting for the 5.

11 vote(s)
    68.8%
  1. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I'd like to know your opinions to help me decide. I currently have a 16GB iPhone 4 (black), which is a superb phone. I love iPhones to bits, however, and the thought of a better iPhone is one that's very appealing to me.

In your honest opinion, do you think that it's worth paying for an out-of-contract upgrade to get the 4S? I'm in the UK and it would cost me £234 to get a 4S (if I were to sell my current iPhone to Envirophone, one of those companies that buys old phones). If I do get the 4S, it'll be in white, in order to make it significantly different to my 4 and because I think it looks great.

Things to take into account:
    • I'm a photography enthusiast, but not a fan of point-and-shoot cameras (I have a DSLR). The concept of having a P&S built-into my phone is appealing, however, since it wouldn't mean another device I have to carry around.
    • Realistically, it's between the 4S and an iPad 3. I can't allow myself to get both, since I already have an iPad 2 that was bought recently.
    • I'm planning on getting the iPhone 5 (or whichever future iPhone is a redesign), again out-of-contract.
    • I play a lot of iOS games on my iPad to benefit from the larger multi-touch area, but I don't always have it with me. For games that don't really require the larger screen, it's great to have them always with me.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks. :)

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Based on those points, it's not worth it. Especially for the photography bit. If you have a DSLR, 8 MP on an iPhone is not going to change your habits much.

Save your money and contract for the 5 and iPad 3. The 4S is a much better upgrade for those with a 3GS, not a 4.

But if money is no object...

3. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

Honestly..I don't think it is worth an out of contract upgrade unless you can sell your 4 for a decent amount. The processor and camera bumps are nice, but the 4 is no slouch in either department already. Siri is also not worth the out of contract price. If you have already decided you are going to get the 5 when it comes out, you might as well wait. From a 3GS, it is a no-brainer upgrade, but from a 4 unless I could get the contract price I would pass.

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I have the option to get the 4S to replace my iPhone 4 however I passed. Yeah, the 4S has a snappy new camera, dual core processor and Siri however I'm waiting, ever so patiently, for the iPhone 5 and the iPad 3.

I think it's quite certain that the iPhone 5 will be redesigned in some way along with, possibly, more hardware upgrades as well. Seeing as the 4S was, for the most part, a spec bump, it didn't impress me enough to want to go out and get one whether off contract or not.

I'd say just wait for the iPad 3 in your situation. The iPhone 4 is still a good phone however with the addition of the iPad 3, you should be covered on all bases.

5. MarcBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Thanks for your replies so far. They've been very helpful. I'm hoping that the iPad 3 will get the 'Retina' treatment that the iPhone 4 got. If it does, it's a no-brainer for me.

Looks like it would be best to save my money for the iPhone 5! :cool: