Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactinkerlover

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2020
I really think so. As we get closer to WWDC, I think about this more.

With Apple making a big push into AI this year, I think that more advanced AI features in macOS could require the faster neural engines and bfloat16 support of the M2 series and up. Thus, the M1 series of chips could miss out on the more advanced features.

What do you think? Also, in iOS A14 is the minimum that supports most functions, so I imagine next year that's going to move to the A15. Maybe it will be the same for the mac?

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
With Apple making a big push into AI this year, I think that more advanced AI features in macOS could require the faster neural engines and bfloat16 support of the M2 series and up. Thus, the M1 series of chips could miss out on the more advanced features.

The only AI feature on macOS I want is the one where I can type (or say):

"Disable all UI animations and convulsions - and I mean ALL of them, including the ones that cannot be disabled even via obscure command line commands"

and this would do just that.

Will the new super-ultra-fast AI neural engines and bloat16 support allow this task?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.