Do you think my MacBook has malware/spyware/virus after going on a sketchy website?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I went on a sketchy website and it said you need to download something to play the video.

The only option was to click "OK"

After I clicked OK something downloaded. Then I just moved the file to trash and emptied my trash.

I didn't open or install the file.

2. electonic macrumors member

There's actually now way that downloaded file could have done anything on it's own. You can install Malware on a Mac, but you have to launch the file manually.
    For the future try to stay away from shady sites and check in your System Preferences under Security app downloads are only allowed from Mac App Store, or at least Mac App Store and verified Developers.
    Then you'll be very safe on a Mac, since are very, very, very few known Viruses and, like I said Malware must be installed by the user. So just don't install random stuff and try to stick to App Store and Developers that are known and legit.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

In Future

just force quit safari if you get yourself in the situation..

4. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Just as a guess, you didnt get anything on your computer. My wife has gotten infected with malware on her MBP, and it was pretty obvious. Huge amounts of browser hijacks.

5. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

So by it simply downloading in safari I'm good?

I just deleted the file. I didn't open it or anything.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Should be. You could look through Safari extensions to see if there are any you don't recognise but if you didn't open or execute the file I don't see how there can have been any effect.

7. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

I should also mention that it was another account that requires an administrator password to download anything.

So while the file did download, if I had opened it, it probably would have asked me for a username and password (administrator) in order to actually execute the file and download it on to the computer...

IDK why I'm just still paranoid about it.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You need to get a better life instead of worrying about it.

9. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Speak for yourself!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For everyone else, I opened a case with Apple regarding this issue and they assured me I have nothing to worry about. They said I did the right thing and that I don't have any malware.

They also sent me a link from their website addressing this concern and things you can do.

I spoke to Max at Apple, and I highly recommend you guys request him as he is very courteous and polite.

10. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

Agree. I go to all p*** and shady sites all the time and NEVER ONCE GET A MALWARE. I even laugh at their stupid drive-by downloads that NEVER EXCECUTE since it's an EXE extension HAHAHA!!. If I do the same with Winblows, it would've blown my computer apart already.

11. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

LOL - you do know this is a global forum audience right? Not sure he will appreciate being asked for 24/7 on every Apple support line :D

12. Hieveryone, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015

Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

How does mac defender execute then huh? Is it an EXE?

----------

Um, incase you havent checked this thread has gotten several hundred views only a FEW of which will actually ask for Max.

So no he would not be asked a lot.

13. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's not an EXE, rather, it executes as a pkg in a dmg.

You really need to get a life and quit worrying and apply some common sense while using your computer.

Common sense isn't that common after all.

14. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah you would know!

15. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I was making the point that it was a 24/7 request, not volume, re-read what I said if you need.

----------

well umm, no it isn't.

exe files run on Windows, they don't run on OSX. Ever.

16. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

This is one of the reasons I LOVE MACS. I just laugh hysterically at the poorly coded browser hijack drive-by download crap that never executes because it's for Windoze HAHA. Always go for a Mac when going to shady/p*** sites and forget about getting infected.