Do you think my MacBook has malware/spyware/virus after going on a sketchy website?

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I went on a sketchy website and it said you need to download something to play the video.

The only option was to click "OK"

After I clicked OK something downloaded. Then I just moved the file to trash and emptied my trash.

I didn't open or install the file.

electonic

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2014
There's actually now way that downloaded file could have done anything on it's own. You can install Malware on a Mac, but you have to launch the file manually.
For the future try to stay away from shady sites and check in your System Preferences under Security app downloads are only allowed from Mac App Store, or at least Mac App Store and verified Developers.
Then you'll be very safe on a Mac, since are very, very, very few known Viruses and, like I said Malware must be installed by the user. So just don't install random stuff and try to stick to App Store and Developers that are known and legit.

Comment

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Just as a guess, you didnt get anything on your computer. My wife has gotten infected with malware on her MBP, and it was pretty obvious. Huge amounts of browser hijacks.

Comment

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
There's actually now way that downloaded file could have done anything on it's own. You can install Malware on a Mac, but you have to launch the file manually.
For the future try to stay away from shady sites and check in your System Preferences under Security app downloads are only allowed from Mac App Store, or at least Mac App Store and verified Developers.
Then you'll be very safe on a Mac, since are very, very, very few known Viruses and, like I said Malware must be installed by the user. So just don't install random stuff and try to stick to App Store and Developers that are known and legit.
So by it simply downloading in safari I'm good?

I just deleted the file. I didn't open it or anything.

Comment

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
So by it simply downloading in safari I'm good?
Should be. You could look through Safari extensions to see if there are any you don't recognise but if you didn't open or execute the file I don't see how there can have been any effect.

Comment

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Should be. You could look through Safari extensions to see if there are any you don't recognise but if you didn't open or execute the file I don't see how there can have been any effect.
I should also mention that it was another account that requires an administrator password to download anything.

So while the file did download, if I had opened it, it probably would have asked me for a username and password (administrator) in order to actually execute the file and download it on to the computer...

IDK why I'm just still paranoid about it.

Comment

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I should also mention that it was another account that requires an administrator password to download anything.

So while the file did download, if I had opened it, it probably would have asked me for a username and password (administrator) in order to actually execute the file and download it on to the computer...

IDK why I'm just still paranoid about it.
You need to get a better life instead of worrying about it.

Comment

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Speak for yourself!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For everyone else, I opened a case with Apple regarding this issue and they assured me I have nothing to worry about. They said I did the right thing and that I don't have any malware.

They also sent me a link from their website addressing this concern and things you can do.

I spoke to Max at Apple, and I highly recommend you guys request him as he is very courteous and polite.

Comment

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
Agree. I go to all p*** and shady sites all the time and NEVER ONCE GET A MALWARE. I even laugh at their stupid drive-by downloads that NEVER EXCECUTE since it's an EXE extension HAHAHA!!. If I do the same with Winblows, it would've blown my computer apart already.

Comment

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I spoke to Max at Apple, and I highly recommend you guys request him as he is very courteous and polite.
LOL - you do know this is a global forum audience right? Not sure he will appreciate being asked for 24/7 on every Apple support line :D

Comment

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Agree. I go to all p*** and shady sites all the time and NEVER ONCE GET A MALWARE. I even laugh at their stupid drive-by downloads that NEVER EXCECUTE since it's an EXE extension HAHAHA!!. If I do the same with Winblows, it would've blown my computer apart already.
How does mac defender execute then huh? Is it an EXE?

----------

LOL - you do know this is a global forum audience right? Not sure he will appreciate being asked for 24/7 on every Apple support line :D
Um, incase you havent checked this thread has gotten several hundred views only a FEW of which will actually ask for Max.

So no he would not be asked a lot.

Last edited:
Comment

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

----------

Um, incase you havent checked this thread has gotten several hundred views only a FEW of which will actually ask for Max.

It's not an EXE, rather, it executes as a pkg in a dmg.

You really need to get a life and quit worrying and apply some common sense while using your computer.

Common sense isn't that common after all.

Comment

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
It's not an EXE, rather, it executes as a pkg in a dmg.

You really need to get a life and quit worrying and apply some common sense while using your computer.

Common sense isn't that common after all.
Yeah you would know!

Comment

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

I was making the point that it was a 24/7 request, not volume, re-read what I said if you need.

----------

well umm, no it isn't.

exe files run on Windows, they don't run on OSX. Ever.

Comment

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
I was making the point that it was a 24/7 request, not volume, re-read what I said if you need.

----------

well umm, no it isn't.

exe files run on Windows, they don't run on OSX. Ever.
This is one of the reasons I LOVE MACS. I just laugh hysterically at the poorly coded browser hijack drive-by download crap that never executes because it's for Windoze HAHA. Always go for a Mac when going to shady/p*** sites and forget about getting infected.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.