Do you think new Mac Pro will come with SSD?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BobHail, May 27, 2010.

1. BobHail macrumors 6502a

...or at least have options to choose Solid State Drives?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Doubt it, people would anyway buy aftermarket due Apple's pricing

3. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why would Apple have to put the price that high?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Because they always do that.... All upgrades costs Apple like 1/3 what they charge for them

5. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would really like though to have the SSD options, at least for the OS drive.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I doubt it. I think SSDs in desktops are nice (I never thought I'd say that) but not as necessary as they are in laptops. The point, my point, was always the "no movable parts" idea. However, since I bought one for a laptop and didn't actually buy the laptop I stuck it in my MP and I want another.

Right now the cost of SSDs are just too high to offer substantial storage and I much prefer aftermarket SSD install over Apple's SSDs.

7. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

There are worries about SSDs in server and workstation environments and all that offering them as part of your product may entail. Mechanical drives are a safe bet and understood by the buyer at this time.

9. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

They DO offer such an option for the XServe. Also, remember, Woz went to work at FusionIO about a month before the 2009s came out (aka, too close to launch to influence them). Those might show up in the 2010s

10. gotzero macrumors 68040

The XServe SSDs do not take up a bay though. The current MP is not set up to accommodate 2.5" drives. There are sufficient aftermarket solutions.

I boot off of SSDs now, and think that it is a great way to work. To me, they are easily worth the cost.