Do you think next iPod Touch will have Adobe Flash?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cottonjenn, May 4, 2009.

1. cottonjenn macrumors member

I've been reading so many different posts and trying to remember what I've read. I don't know if this subject is in another post. Sorry if it is.
    Anyway I have an iPod 5th Gen and I have been seriously thinking about getting the iPod Touch. I've read it's a good PDA replacement plus I love my iPod. I would like internet access and getting the iPod Touch is cheaper than the iPhone because I don't use my cell phone that much. So I'm looking into what the iPod Touch has to offer. I like watching movies and my music and listening to audio books. I would like it if I can be able to watch the free TV shows on the internet but know you need Flash to watch them and the iPod Touch doesn't support Flash (may purchase Touch anyway). So I was wondering if anyone knows if Flash will be available on the next iPod Touch or if you already have one will you be able to get Flash on one that you have (should I buy one now)?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

NO. Flash is POS that are mostly used in those annoying ads.

Adobe doesn't even make their flash player to work properly in OSX, why would you think Adobe will make something usable for the iPhone / iPod touch platform?

There are apps that let you do the tv show things though.

3. cottonjenn thread starter macrumors member

Because I saw someone ask about Flash and I thought it was said that Apple is working on that with Adobe because right now I read that you cannot view the TV shows unless you purchase them. So you're saying that now you can go to say "hulu.com" and watch the free TV shows?

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

That's a software thing, so that could come to all versions should it ever happen. There was a rumor going around about it, and I'd love to see it since plenty of sites use it. But I don't think we'll see it soon since it would get in the way of iTunes sales since people could watch videos online.

6. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Like Youtube?

:apple: will probably hold off on Flash until they can get the battery to last.

7. Blue Fox macrumors 6502a

Blue Fox

Adobe has already confirmed (like a year ago) that they are working on Flash for the iPhone/iPod Touch......and said they would try to work with Apple on it as well. Whether or not they are still working on it has yet to be seen.

8. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

Very unlikely. It's too buggy and would be horrible on the iPhone/touch.

9. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

i hope not... i just hope more companies that have sites that have flash make sure they have a html version of those sites... nothing worse than trying to do something but cant access the site because its flash

10. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I've had a Touch since the first gen hit the stores and the lack of flash has never been more than a small annoyance.

I don't think it's a hindrance to not have flash.

11. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Actually, considering most sites use Flash for navigation, displaying information, etc... I feel Flash on the ipod touch/iphone is VERY important. Also, the added benefit would be for watching video on sites that require it (i.e.: YouTube, HuLu, etc...).

12. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

we will get flash, sooner or later, in a usable version, from whoever, but not yet. (if it's flash thats still the standard then)
    it's progress, it's bound to happen. just a case of when. it's inevitable. if you suspect it'll never happen then i pity your lack of forward vision and progress.

13. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I use the browser all the time and rarely run into a problem due to flash.

YouTube encodes all videos so you can watch from the iPod without a problem.

14. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

YouTube is not the same thing as Hulu or Netflix by any stretch.

15. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Hulu is a service similar to YouTube in which you can view movies. However, it is a great resource for TV shows you might have missed and even free movies. The fact the ipod touch/iphone doesn't have flash built into their safari browser, you cannot take advantages of sites with this functionality. Not a big deal, but it would definitely open up a whole new world.

16. saberahul macrumors 68040

Whatever happened to the talks between apple and adobe regarding the flash on the iPhone. Macrumors had a coverage off of it and now the whole story just disappeared.

17. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

There hasn't been any new news on this in a long time so who knows.

18. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Yeah, I'm guessing Apple is waiting for Flash to be perfected prior to adding it to their machine. From what I've read, it is still a resource hog for mobile devices. Hopefully this will change around the time iphone/ipod touch Ver 3.0 software is released.

19. thunderweb macrumors 6502

thunderweb

20. synagence macrumors 6502a

Look at the mobile browser ... go to some non-iphone optimised sites and the browser is slow .... add in another meg or two of junky badly coded flash content and the iphone will just collapse.... its not just an iphone problem ... flash can be written well but 99% of the crap on the net is poor

I can wait forever for flash ... don't want it ... if they do implement it I want the option to disable it

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I wish people would show the same outrage over propietary software as they do towards apples connections. :rolleyes:

But no! everyone loves that awful POS that is flash.