Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I know it happened like that with iPods but they were never drastically more than the same music player with a redesign.

The iPhone and iPad are always huge paradigm shifts in features and differences.

Its like they started with iPad (1), then iPad 2, and then just ditched numbering after 2.

Maybe they have so much momentum that they don't have to number things anymore to get people extra excited about "newness" and status.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
It's about time they dropped the number ... there is really nothing revolutionary about new iPhones or iPads - they are incremental upgrades.

DigitalFirefly

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2008
They don't number iPods, MacBooks or iMacs. I like this method better. I hope the next iPhone is just called "The iPhone".

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
It's just. iPad. Smart choice.

If they had called it iPad 3. You would have been more disappointed.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I think it will be casually called the iPad 3 or "Third-gen iPad".

Maybe this is in preparation for an expanded product line. If they're planning to add an iPad Pro or iPad Mini/Reader then having a number in the name makes less sense.

People do just fine with the Mac line using launch year and generation number.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
the same way millions of people have purchased cases for ipod touches over the past years...

" have a third gen ipod touch"
"..............second gen......"
"fourth gen........."

And regular people who'se lives don't revolve around their gadgets :D will be confused. Not everyone knows which gen their iPad/iPhone is which is why the Phones have numbers.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I think it will be casually called the iPad 3 or "Third-gen iPad".

Maybe this is in preparation for an expanded product line. If they're planning to add an iPad Pro or iPad Mini/Reader then having a number in the name makes less sense.

People do just fine with the Mac line using launch year and generation number.

Good point, maybe this is because they are gonna have that rumored 7 inch iPad and it will be like MBA and MBP.

Maybe that is also why they gave us the "more coming in 2012 stay tuned" teaser... It might be more iPad related things happening in 2012 since they tacked on the teaser at the end of specifically the iPad presentation.

I think its a bad idea. How will you choose a case for your iPhone if you don't know if you're buying one for the 4S or 5?

I imagine those iPod accessory boxes that just say compatible with 3rd gen, 4th gen, 5th gen. Most people don't know which gen they have maybe. Then it takes up the whole box.

Compatible with iPad, iPad 2, iPad (3rd gen), iPad (4th gen), iPad Mini... etc...

Why not make it official..

Could go either way. Maybe they just want to have elegance across the board for all of the product lines.

x13gamer

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Pure Michigan
Look at the box

The last iPad 2 I saw that came in a box wasn't labeled iPad 2. I don't know if all of them were that way at least the one we got in December doesn't have it.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I'm guessing retailers will say something like 2012 model or 2013 model.
This. If there's only one model released a year, what do you have to worry about?

The latest iPad is the 2012 iPad. Move along now :D

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
And regular people who'se lives don't revolve around their gadgets :D will be confused. Not everyone knows which gen their iPad/iPhone is which is why the Phones have numbers.

Nobody knows which # MBP they have, either. This will help consumers greatly. The 4/4S fiasco had to be the impetus. Just praying they call it "iPhone" this fall, not 5/6/HD.

Nightprowler

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
It won't confuse the people that know what they are doing. Everyone else will just be happy they have one of them fandangled "i" machines in their hands.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Nobody knows which # MBP they have, either. This will help consumers greatly. The 4/4S fiasco had to be the impetus. Just praying they call it "iPhone" this fall, not 5/6/HD.

After this I am pretty sure they will.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
All of their products from now will be numberless and retailers will just go by years or gens.

They probably did it with the iPad first before the phone to reduce confusion or shock.

If there is any confusion of change to be had, it will smooth out any mainstream weirdness when the iPhone 5/6 comes out this year and is just called "iPhone," by setting the precedent now with the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.