Do you think not numbering devices anymore will confuse people? iPad, iPad 2, iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bobby Corwen, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I know it happened like that with iPods but they were never drastically more than the same music player with a redesign.

The iPhone and iPad are always huge paradigm shifts in features and differences.

Its like they started with iPad (1), then iPad 2, and then just ditched numbering after 2.

Maybe they have so much momentum that they don't have to number things anymore to get people extra excited about "newness" and status.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It's about time they dropped the number ... there is really nothing revolutionary about new iPhones or iPads - they are incremental upgrades.

3. DigitalFirefly macrumors newbie

They don't number iPods, MacBooks or iMacs. I like this method better. I hope the next iPhone is just called "The iPhone".

4. laurenr macrumors 6502a

I'm not confused at all.....I CLEARLY want the iPad 3 right now!:D

5. Viper3773 macrumors regular

Viper3773

so then what is the next ipad going to be called? The new new ipad? Stupid; this is just going to confuse people.

6. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

It's just. iPad. Smart choice.

If they had called it iPad 3. You would have been more disappointed.

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think it will be casually called the iPad 3 or "Third-gen iPad".

Maybe this is in preparation for an expanded product line. If they're planning to add an iPad Pro or iPad Mini/Reader then having a number in the name makes less sense.

People do just fine with the Mac line using launch year and generation number.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I think its a bad idea. How will you choose a case for your iPhone if you don't know if you're buying one for the 4S or 5?

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It's not called "The New iPad"; it's the new "iPad".

10. RevolvingSheep macrumors regular

Good point.

11. EvoWake macrumors newbie

the same way millions of people have purchased cases for ipod touches over the past years...

" have a third gen ipod touch"
    "..............second gen......"
    "fourth gen........."

12. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Macbook Pro12 or Imac6 would sound lame right??

Bout time they drop the number in the name.

13. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

This. It's just "iPad" and it's new. In a year it'll be the old iPad. :p

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

And regular people who'se lives don't revolve around their gadgets :D will be confused. Not everyone knows which gen their iPad/iPhone is which is why the Phones have numbers.

15. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Good point, maybe this is because they are gonna have that rumored 7 inch iPad and it will be like MBA and MBP.

Maybe that is also why they gave us the "more coming in 2012 stay tuned" teaser... It might be more iPad related things happening in 2012 since they tacked on the teaser at the end of specifically the iPad presentation.

I imagine those iPod accessory boxes that just say compatible with 3rd gen, 4th gen, 5th gen. Most people don't know which gen they have maybe. Then it takes up the whole box.

Compatible with iPad, iPad 2, iPad (3rd gen), iPad (4th gen), iPad Mini... etc...

Why not make it official..

Could go either way. Maybe they just want to have elegance across the board for all of the product lines.

16. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'm guessing retailers will say something like 2012 model or 2013 model.

17. x13gamer macrumors regular

x13gamer

Look at the box

The last iPad 2 I saw that came in a box wasn't labeled iPad 2. I don't know if all of them were that way at least the one we got in December doesn't have it.

18. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

This. If there's only one model released a year, what do you have to worry about?

The latest iPad is the 2012 iPad. Move along now :D

19. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Nobody knows which # MBP they have, either. This will help consumers greatly. The 4/4S fiasco had to be the impetus. Just praying they call it "iPhone" this fall, not 5/6/HD.

20. Nightprowler macrumors regular

It won't confuse the people that know what they are doing. Everyone else will just be happy they have one of them fandangled "i" machines in their hands.

21. matthewskyle macrumors member

Mid-2010 MBP.

22. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

After this I am pretty sure they will.

23. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Exactly, year, not #. I believe yours would be about #8 by the other standard.

24. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

All of their products from now will be numberless and retailers will just go by years or gens.

They probably did it with the iPad first before the phone to reduce confusion or shock.

If there is any confusion of change to be had, it will smooth out any mainstream weirdness when the iPhone 5/6 comes out this year and is just called "iPhone," by setting the precedent now with the iPad.