Do you think of the iPhone as a rip-off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PowerFullMac, Sep 29, 2007.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Now, before I start let me just say I think the iPhone is AMAZING, by far the best mobile phone i've ever used. The thing is though that on pay monthly it is $399 and im not sure how it works over there in the US but most, if not all, phones that are on pay monthly here in the UK are free to purchase then of course you pay your line rental each month. However, the iPhone, in the UK, is £269 to purchase and the cheapest tariff you can get is £35 a month, baring in mind Apple get 10% of all phone bills. Now, before this the most expensive pay monthly phone I ever saw was £50 to purchase and about £30 line rental a month and it was the Nokia N95, which costs £500 on PAYG, so you get the idea, Apple have made this thing pretty damn expensive.

But its not just that, they have purposely crippled the iPod Touch to sell more iPhones.

Not only that, but they are going to extreme lengths to make sure that the iPod Touch is not uncrippled, I mean they issued a take down WHILE A FILE WAS BEING UPLOADED!

And theres even more, they stopped all the unlocks from working the the iPhone AND all 3rd party apps, and im almost sure they did that because they will get more money from everyones phone bills.

Is it just me or is Apple becoming worse than Micro$oft and Sony?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No, they're kinda becoming like them... big electronics company with substantial media, distribution and content interests. Doing what they can to ensure they've got a future in 10-50 years time...

Is the iPhone a rip-off? Depends on how much of that supposedly 'unlimited daily' web allowance you use that comes with contract. I wouldn't use that much, so it wouldn't be that much of a good buy for me right now.

But I'm not to forced to buy it either, so I can't see why people should call it a ripoff. It's not cheap at the moment, but what electronics technology hasn't got cheaper, faster and better over time?

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The price is a big thing putting me off the iPhone...I'll probably get version 3, like I did with the iPod...

4. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I am definitely paying more for my cell phone service now than I was 6 months ago, but that was a crappy LG phone from Verizon with no data plan, 200 texts a month, no ipod, no web, no email, no visual voice mail.

The only thing good was MMS and the flash/zoom on the camera and that is only good in comparison to what the iPhone lacks.

I currently pay something like $70 a month versus $45 a month in the past and I could not be happier.

For some people it simply will not be worth it. No one says it has to be attractive to all people.

I personally love it and was happy to pay $599 right at launch and am quite happy to pay $30 a month more than I used to pay for far less service and far fewer features.

Depending on what your personal phone experience has been and what you needs and budget are, it may in fact be a rip off for you.

That's fine.

5. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

My view is that the iPhone itself, at £269, is a reasonable price, and that the o2 tariffs are ok if you are going to use the web browser extensively when you are out and about.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm not sure I would call it a rip-off, I just find the complete cost of ownership way too expensive for my mobile phone needs.

I'm currently on an 18 month contract with Vodafone that gives me 100 minutes and 50 texts a month for £14.99 and a free phone. These are perfectly adequate for me, I've never managed to go over my allowance yet. This costs me £270 over 18 months, the same as the iPhone purchase price.

If I wanted to go for the iPhone, I would be forced to go for an expensive contract that came with way too many minutes and texts, which would be wasted. It would also cost me an extra £630 for the 18 months. I know there are the data extras included, but these aren't worth that much to me.

I won't consider buying one until there is more flexibility on contracts. Restricting the iPhone to only one phone company is not good news for the consumer. :(

7. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

O2 are ripping us off not Iphone

I don't personally feel that the price of the Iphone £269 is a rip off, when the N95 was first released I remember it going for about £600 unlocked. What I do feel is a rip off is the Tariffs that O2 will be charging. I'm currently on a 12 month contract with 3 and received the Nokia N73 paying £30 a month for 750 mins, 150 texts, 50 MMS and £5 worth of free downloads. There is no way I would now downgrade for the O2 tariff for 200 Min's and 200 texts for £35!!!! Its just insane. I know you get unlimited data usage but I'd hardly ever use that as i get wi fi at home and the office and even if I did need data would it not be better if O2 had offered a per as you use option or give allow customers to take out their now £7.50 for so called unlimited data usage?
    I was going to buy the Iphone and unlock it next week when I'm due to be in New York, but the last couple of days with the unlock/bricking/update business has put me off. I'll settle for the ipod touch in the meantime and wait for the 3G version or some wonderful unlock to come out again for the iphone. :)

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

rip off!

Ha....not even close. Its nice to have a phone I can use for every thing

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The iPhone a ripoff??? Compared to what?

Here's what's a ripoff: $1.59 in some convenience store yesterday for half a litre of diet soda.

10. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Nope. Best phone ever. Sure it can be better. Everything can. I'm just happy that I don't have to carry around my laptop anymore. And my bill is cheaper than it was on Vz, although coverage isn't as solid.

11. mets1125 macrumors regular

I don't think the price of the phone is all that bad (now with the price break). Take a look at the razr 2 its going for $500 w/out a contract and it doesnt come close to the iphone. What I think is a ripoff is the 2 yr contract we have to sign, thats bogus cuz we are paying full price for the phone. I do not want to commit to a 2 yr deal or extend my contract when I am buying a phone outright.

12. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Have the same feelings. Struggled with poor battery life, crashes, and just other problems all while still having to carry my iPod with me to work every night. I have been VERY happy with the iPhone as I wanted a phone/iPod device I could get mail, text, and hit the web when needed. All that and the battery life has been outstanding.

I'm sure in the next models they will try to make more happy but they hit the major market first and it looks like it worked.

If you are one of these customers who has a need that isn't on the iPhone then yeah I would say it is a rip off as there are much better options out there for you.

13. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

A rip off? It's the first cell phone I've had that was worth every penny, and I paid full price.

14. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Given that this the first "smartphone" that I've actually been able to use to surf the web (even without 3g, this is far better than my Q, treo 700,etc) - no it is definitely not a ripoff. Now MS Vista Ultimate? THAT was a ripoff!

15. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Vista is a rip-off and a half! No, 2 rip-offs and three quarters!

16. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Rip-off no way!

At $400 it is comparable to other smart phones but IMHO is it much better than any other smartphone. It does everything I want in a phone, ipod, web browser, email.

The ATT calling plans are the same regardless of phone and the data plan is the best plan available thru ATT.

You can probably go prepaid on O2 as well. ATT doesn't advertise it with the iPhone but it can be done.

Sure there are things that could be added but that will always be the case, with any product.