Do you think phones will be super backordered this time around?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emmaf, Sep 10, 2014.

1. emmaf macrumors newbie

I know the phones always seem to ship in batches, but the 5S release was crazy. I remember checking the availability website a month after release and still not seeing what I needed. (gold 16gb verizon)

Now that there's a lot more variety between the option of 6/6+, colors, and storage, do you think the phones will be a little easier to get?

I know no one knows for sure..this is just speculation.

2. rockitdog macrumors 68020

No, I think Apple understands the value of supply and demand. The longer they keep them hard to get the more people will be clamoring for them and the higher the demand. If anything I think they will produce less of them initially since there are more options to choose from.

3. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Yes. Even worse than last time.

4. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

5. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Depends on where you order the phone. Seems people who order from carriers vs directly from Apple have the most problems/shortages.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    For 2-3 months there will be shortages everywhere.

7. emmaf thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, here's another question.

I'm currently on my parent's plan and my contract expires Oct 12. I am going to switch to my own single line plan with Verizon. Can I sign up for my plan with VZW and then order the phone from apple instead?

8. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

I don't think it will be anything like last year. Remember, there were shortage rumors about the 5s and no pre-orders. This year, pre-orders for both models.

Just a hunch, but I bet you will be able to get a phone on launch day if you want one.

9. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Everything I've been seeing say they have been working hard on production anticipating huge demand. Of course there will not be enough at launch for everyone but I don't see it being any worse than last year in general. I do agree the 5.5 is going to be the tough one to get. 128GB plus in gold is going to be like a unicorn.

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I don't think there was any problem getting a 5S last year, unless you wanted Gold. That was the only color that was in short supply even 2-3 months down the line. Black was available all the time.