Do you think Retina Display Means No More Backlight Bleed?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by powerbook911, Mar 7, 2012.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

What do you guys think? The iPhone began to have really nice displays with no bleed, negative black, etc. once it went to retina.

Do you think with "the new iPad," that the Retina display will finally rid of us of the awful backlight bleed from the iPad 2?

I never kept an iPad 2 as everyone I got had backlight bleed. Saved me a lot of money at least. ha-ha.

I hope this is cured on "the new iPad." What do you think?

2. ihatephish macrumors regular

3. mac jones macrumors 68040

4. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yeah, if the backlight bleed is any worse than my Original iPad, I will return it.

I had to return Samsung LED LCD TV because of backlight bleed too. Plasma solved that.

I really hate backlight bleed.

5. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

It's possible but the resolution increase in itself won't change anything.

6. thelead macrumors 6502

no... I'm hoping that dead/stuck pixels will be nearly impossible to spot though.

7. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

The iPad HD may or may not have backlight bleed.

On thing is for certain though - it is so sharp that your eyeballs

WILL BLEED :eek: :eek:

8. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Very true. Just hoping that since it's such a high end display, obviously a more more money to produce per display than iPad 2's, it will just be better quality.

It is what happened with the iPhone. Who knows though I guess. We will have to wait and see. Fingers crossed.

9. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

The change in resolution will have no direct impact on the presence of light bleed. Possible factors would be a change in how the LCD unit is constructed to accomodate so many pixels, as well as a physical change in the casing and internal layout of the iPad.

I, along with several others, believed that the severe light bleed of last years models was caused by the intense amount of pressure being placed on the screen (and under the glass) during construction, to fit the tight form factor, that caused a bit of flexing, allowing light to leak through.

It's entirely possible Apple has corrected this in the manufacturing process, but the "Retina" resolution would not have an effect on this itself (all things being equal)

10. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

My original iPad 2 had bleed. I waited a month or two and made a genius bar appointment. They went through the whole "This is normal but you can do a one time trade, no I won't go through every box to check for a perfect one blah blah glue because it's so thin" speech.

He then gave me a replacement that was perfect and had no bleed. I expect that Apple has corrected the issue on this model.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Backlight bleeding is related to side mounted LED's to reduce thickness. The iPad still uses the same side mounted LED's (resolution has nothing to do with it) so there will be SOME bleeding since it is inherent in the technology. Hopefully the reflectors will do a better job of channeling the light towards the middle of the screen to lower side bleeding.

12. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Thanks.

Does the iPhone 4 & 4S use side mounted LEDs? I have no issue with those displays.

13. Nightprowler macrumors regular

Seriously.

Do NOT look at any pictures of razor blades or other sharp objects.

14. bobright macrumors 601

I went through hell last year with the iPad 2 constantly returning until I got a decent one. Sorry guys but if the new ones have it (as Im not getting one) I will laugh my ass off.

Good luck !

15. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

That is kind of a sick comment - does not say much positive about you as a person.

16. madKIR macrumors 6502

Can totally relate to it! I went through 4 exchanges until I got a good one, no bleed at all!
    Nevertheless, I preordered a new one this time around.
    Fingers crossed and maybe this extra mm in its thickness has something to do with the issue.

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You and some of the others should probably understand a few things about displays. Backlight bleed is an issue for most displays. If they're fitted well enough to ensure that it is minor, custom panel blocking can be used to fix some of the unevenness. Basically the rest of the display is made slightly lighter to compensate for these areas, meaning that the lightest black seen from backlight bleed must still be within spec. This kind of goes contrary to consumer logic, but more contrast doesn't automatically make it look better, especially if it results in crushed shadows or highlights. To the best of my knowledge, Apple doesn't use this. It's is used in many displays in the $1k-10k range. It's not just a cheap out technique. Anyway such a thing would alleviate concerns but it might be too much of an impact on manufacturing cost and speed given the volume of this device.

18. mrt209 macrumors 6502

I went through 5 iPad 2s last year. I remember that shortly before I got my final one (nearly perfect with minimal bleeding) there was a story about Apple acknowledging the problem and switching from Samsung to LG (I think) as the manufacturer for the displays. So, hopefully that won't be as big of an issue as with the iPad 2. Or at least I hope so... last year my local Apple employees became extremely rude after the 2nd exchange.