Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will iOS development advance more rapidly now that Steve Jobs is gone?

• Yes, iOS6 will be the start of big changes happening to iOS.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • iOS6 will be a small change as usual, but iOS7 will be a big change.

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • No. Apple will continue to keep iOS development slow and keep it looking the same.

Votes: 32 68.1%

• Total voters

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
In the past, iOS has only been improved bit by bit. Now with Android making a big play with ICS and snatching up marketshare as well as other competitors set to see the light of day by the end of this year (Tizen, BB10, Windows Phone 8) do you think that Apple, now without Steve Jobs, will make the decision to speed up iOS development to make it more powerful AKA not needing to be jailbroken as much to get more out of it?

After all, Steve was always the source of the philosophy that the user shouldn't have that much to do with their OS to ensure the OS remains problem-free. However, with his passing, the company might decide that perhaps things shouldn't be that dumbed down any longer and provide more advanced configuration so as not to look like they aren't lagging behind the competition.

Or, will it be business as usual?

Last edited:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
In the past, iOS has only been improved bit by bit. Now with Android making a big play with ICS and snatching up marketshare as well as other competitors set to see the light of day by the end of this year (Tizen, BB10, Windows Phone 8) do you think that Apple, now without Steve Jobs will make the decision to speed up iOS development to make it more powerful AKA not needing to be jailbroken as much to get more out of it?

Less. I think we're in for some coasting.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
In the past, iOS has only been improved bit by bit. Now with Android making a big play with ICS and snatching up marketshare as well as other competitors set to see the light of day by the end of this year (Tizen, BB10, Windows Phone 8) do you think that Apple, now without Steve Jobs, will make the decision to speed up iOS development to make it more powerful AKA not needing to be jailbroken as much to get more out of it?

After all, Steve was always the source of the philosophy that the user shouldn't have that much to do with their OS to ensure the OS remains problem-free. However, with his passing, the company might decide that perhaps things shouldn't be that dumbed down any longer and provide more advanced configuration.

Read everything that Tim Cook says carefully.

No.

iOS is not going to try to compete with gee whiz stuff, only with features that really make their devices more useful.

It's not working for anyone else, why would Apple stoop to it?

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London

It will be business as usual; iOS will continue to be developed at its own pace just as it has been done in the last few years. iOS is one of the jewels in Apple's crown and those guys like Scott Forstall and Phil Schiller know what they are doing with it.

RTP.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
iOS is not going to try to compete with gee whiz stuff, only with features that really make their devices more useful.
A lot of the things competitors do with their OS do actually make devices more useful. Windows Phone has consolidated messaging. Android 4.0 has that fullscreen app switcher and killer which makes the iOS task killer look dated.

iOS has a LOT of room to be made more useful while still being simple to use.

gregrose

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
If the big Updates are "maps & photos Sharing" then I could care less... I use a gps app & who the f cares about better way to share photos?

I hope they wow me in some way

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
My guess would be that Apple will follow the 5+ or so year plan that I am sure they have laid out. I don't expect them to deviate much from it.

Steve Jobs has passed, I am sure that the company had a plan for the company as well as his contribution as to how he would like to see things go. I am sure Tim Cook will stick to the plan with some breathing room for tech changes as they come about. Steady pace forward with some flexibility incorporated in.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
These poll choices are ridiculous! Steve Jobs hasn't even been gone a year yet. Believe me, he played a large part in iOS 6 development. It will be the same without him, as it would be with him. iOS 6 might be incremental, but it's already a mature OS, nothing is beta here like some other mobile OS's.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
This is an absurd question.

Large companies like Apple have this thing called Strategic and Long-Term Planning. Steve was most likely an integral part of that. Unless something happens with the market, you can expect iOS 6 to grow at the rate Apple believes is best. The CEO dying (as unfortunate as that is) shouldn't make the company abandon their plans and start from scratch.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
A lot of the things competitors do with their OS do actually make devices more useful. Windows Phone has consolidated messaging. Android 4.0 has that fullscreen app switcher and killer which makes the iOS task killer look dated.

iOS has a LOT of room to be made more useful while still being simple to use.

Most of what people on these forums scream about are bells and whistles, not features that are even remotely required to be useful.

Apple is not going to chase all the "features" in Androidville, however rest assured they are paying attention to anything really interesting.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
These poll choices are ridiculous! Steve Jobs hasn't even been gone a year yet. Believe me, he played a large part in iOS 6 development. It will be the same without him, as it would be with him. iOS 6 might be incremental, but it's already a mature OS, nothing is beta here like some other mobile OS's.
Yeah I'm thinking he laid out how iOS is going to be upgraded for the next 5 years or something. Sad really. However, when the CEO is gone things can change.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Nothing that has been mentioned in rumours of what is purported to be in iOS6 have made me excited about the update. They are playing catch up with Android with turn by turn, and I don't have an iPad or iPhone 4S for Siri.

Sdreed91

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Yeah I'm thinking he laid out how iOS is going to be upgraded for the next 5 years or something. Sad really. However, when the CEO is gone things can change.

On a good day I might argue that the CEO is not gone. I say this because Jobs hand picked Cook. Cook, I am almost certain went through some sort of Jobs grooming.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas

How is that sad? Steve Jobs is the reason(not the only reason) why iOS, and the iPhone is so awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.