Do you think that 17" MBPs will return like the iPod 160s did?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Oldschoolwax, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Oldschoolwax macrumors member

I WAS planning on buying a new 17" MBP next year, I really don't need/want a new one now. I know it's all speculation, but do you think a 17" model will return in the future or do you think they are just going to push the TB displays and not care about the 17" market at all.

2. Stout Jackson macrumors newbie

I, like many, was waiting for the refresh 17" MacBook Pro. I'm disappointed and will go to the Apple store and see if the 15" will do.

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I'm guessing that they're gone. I think if they were going to update them in the future, they would have given them a minor spec bump now, or at the very least left them up for sale. Since they didn't, I don't think they'll be returning.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I doubt it. The 15" Retina MBP has the ability to give you the same amount of real estate as the 17" MBP, just in a physically smaller screen size.

5. speed4tu macrumors member

I keep reading this and can't make sense of it. Everything is still smaller. In this logic I should swap a 50 inch TV for a 40 inch one with higher resolution and expect the same size. It can't happen

6. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

According to this tweet, last quarter, Apple sold about 50,000 17" MacBook Pros of a total 4 million Macs. That's 1.25%. With the Retina 15" Pro at a lower price than the old 17" Pro, it's not coming back.

7. jcpb macrumors 6502a

It's going to feel like a bad case of thread necromancy, except with real things...

8. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I was also waiting for a 17" refresh. I would buy one now in a heartbeat if it had USB 3.0. As it is I think I'm going to go with a non retina 15". I prefer everything the non retina has over the retina screen. I pray that Apple doesn't discontinue the tried and true MacBook pro.

I for one don't care about the thinness or weight of the retina MBP and I still prefer the ODD even if just to remove it and add more storage. It gives me more options. The new retina MBP gives you zero options. You buy it and live with it. For me paying close to $3000 is just unacceptable to have those kinds of limitations.

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Didn't say it was the same size. You can fit as much stuff on screen with a Retina 15" as you could the 17". Apple usually isn't one to give you a large selection of screen sizes with the same resolution/real estate.

10. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

11. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

I'll be ordering a 17 inch off the refurb store within the next few weeks, really sad to see such a beast like that discontinued. I was always impressed by my old man's 17 inch Powerbook, guess eyes for big screens are passed down.

As for them being permanently discontinued I'm going with them never coming back.