Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think you should have the choice between a dedicated and integrated solution

• Hell, yes

Votes: 69 71.1%
  • No!

Votes: 28 28.9%

• Total voters

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I like the choice. If I want to buy a lot of cheapo machines for the office I'll go with integrated. If I want something a home user can toss some family games on I'll pick dedicated. Intel's X3000 comes close to giving a good integrated solution. Just have lots of system RAM.

How many current Mini and MacBook users still have 512 MB anyways?

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
gnasher729 said:
I thought people would know by now what is going on with the graphics card clock speed on MacBook Pro: The clockspeed is reduced when the graphics card doesn't do much, to save power. When you start actually using it, the clockspeed is increased. (That was found by taking the clockspeed before and after running a benchmark program - after the benchmark it had magically increased by more than 30 percent).

I read something like that too but what I read was when the power cord is not plugged in the MBP can use very little of its graphic power and may not be the best for games when the cord is not plugged in. However if you look up what I said you will see it is accurate.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
I vote no.

But if if AAPL didn't make up a fair chunk of my stock portfolio, then I'd probably vote yes. =P I mean, ceteris peteribus, who wouldn't want dedicated graphics over integrated graphics? If the macbook had a dedicated graphics card, I'd probably go get one right about... now.

Apple is out to make profit though. They're going to string you up to a MBP, where you're going to pay for a product with (what is probably) a fatter profit margin. There are people paying that premium, and the business model seems to be working for Apple.

Remember, Apple is a business, not a charity.

Paimon

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2006
Apple it seems is completely beyond criticism to Mac fanatics. I finally got tired of being taken advantage of by Apple so I switched back the the PC world.

OSX is really nice, and I was contemplating switching back to a MacBook come september but alas the company still does not have their crap together. Nothing but hardware problems and excuses. Yet amazingly they are still managing to beef up their sales by letting crappy graphics cards render their non-upgradable machines obsolete 6 months after they are bought.

I've decided to give up and go with an $1800 CDN LG laptop. Thin, glossey wide-screen, magnetic latch, flashey black/white colour, remote control, better antenna system, more memory, faster processor, better graphics, free 17" LCD, etc, etc, and I can always upgrade it... oh and best of all no whine, moo, or heat problems.

In case anyone else gets sick of Apple I definetly recommend LG electronics, they make very innovate/stylish products, even producing a model laptop that is thinner than the MacBooks (T1 Express).

I hope apple will have their crap together next time I need a laptop but I seriously doubt it is going to happen.

jaduffy108 said:
### *I* want more choices...and do not agree with what i perceive to be Apple apologists' zealotry. I also don't think it serves Apple as a company...NOW with Intel processors...competing with Dell, HP, etc. I want a Macbook Pro with a GeForce Go 7900 GTX. Why the *bleep* can't I have it? Since that isn't an option, as i understand it.... I may buy a pc laptop. *I* am tired of paying more money for products that are inferior in terms of hardware. Yes...OS X is awesome. Is it worth $500???...cuz that's what we're *really* paying for it. I think not. And...don't even get me started about Apple's graphics drivers performance compared to Windows. It's a joke. Why my rant?...cuz I love so much about Apple products!....but I'm finally starting to feel stupid for doing so. Apple is becoming a cult where the case of the computer is more important than what's inside it. Just read these forums for proof...where the length of a company's configuration page is stated as a "put down" on a company and its products!!!!! That's what comes to mind when we research a computer purchase???????~! Sad..at least to me, that it appears elegance in design and cutting edge performance are mutually exclusive. Ok...i'm done now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.