Do you think that the touch capacitive home button will be in the new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ethan028, Sep 30, 2011.

1. ethan028 macrumors 6502a

ethan028

That would be awesome because then we can make use of the Multitasking Gestures with iPhone! I would love that!

What do you guys think?

2. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

As of right now I don't see a use for it, but I'm sure if they included it there would be a new feature and new apps that would use it.

I have a love/hate with capacitive buttons but I'm willing to give it a shot.

3. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Yes I think there will be a capacitive touch home button. I think it will be dual functional and serve as a mechanical button as well tho

4. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I am not sure. I hope it's in there, but I definitely see the value in having that one mechanical button to help iOS noobs feel in control. Some people find it comforting to have tactile button.

Regardless, I think being able to swipe left/right between open apps via a touch-sensitive home button would be awesome. I have used the multitasking gestures on my iPad for almost a year now and can't imagine it without them. The iPhone is too small for a 4 finger swipe, so an area for a couple small one-finger gestures would be welcomed.

5. eaglesteve, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011

eaglesteve macrumors 6502

I don't wish to see any capacitive button because they're probe to accidental activation. As for gesture, they should do it the jailbreak way on existing hardware. There is no need for capacitive button to do things like brining up the multitasking dock, switch to next or previous applications. They can also swipe on the task bar left and right to switch application if necessary. Alternatively, swipe up from the home button to activate the multitasking dock, swipe up from bottom left of screen to go to previous app, swipe up from bottom right to go to next app. These are some of the gestures some of us have been using on JB phones. There are other ways too, such as long pressing the volume buttons to go to previous and next application. Activator is a wonderful tool to incorporate into the stock firmware. With so many JB gurus hired by Apple, I hope Apple listen to these guys' ideas.

6. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Oh come now. Surely you must agree that the current method of multitask/app switching isn't adequate. The home button doesn't seem like it was made to handle this much usage/abuse. Many of my family members and friends with iPhone 4's and 3GS's report the same degradation of their home buttons that I have.

I have ideas of my own that I have "suggested" to Apple for use in the new capacitative home button. The first one, swiping left and right = swiping between apps just like in Lion and iPad. Swiping up = Microphone for Assistant. Swiping down = ??