Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is the white iphone feminine?

• Dude approved!

Votes: 362 65.6%
  • Wow that phone's for chicks

Votes: 190 34.4%

• Total voters

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
women superior anyway

The white phone is most definitely feminine. The white colour cannot be compared with the white of a Macbook. When you present a white Macbook, people can see that it is a computer. If you whip out a white iPhone, people will think it's your compact make-up kit or something......
No offence guy, but what total bullcrap. :)

Polls have already shown that *people* prefer the black over the white by about 75%/25% and females are roughly 50% of the population.

So even if no male ever buys a white iPhone, that still means that half of all women will buy the black one. I can guarantee that there are some males that like the white iPhone, so that means *more* than half of all women prefer the black one. I would bet it's 75%/25% in both groups although I don't know of any gender biased survey having been done yet.

Besides, science and history have proven that women are superior to men in almost every way, both physically and mentally. Why not be on the winning team instead of just another nerdy tech guy repleat with black tshirt, black laptop, black iPod etc. etc. ...

Think Different!(ly) :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You're asking this in an age where it is common to see a metrosexual male than it is to see some burly man wandering around? Nice. Is the box that you live in nice?

If you truly think the white is more "feminine" then explain the MacBook and iPod. In all seriousness I quite like the slick white, but then again I guess that means I'm feminine. ;)

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
I think more men will opt for the black, but I see nothing wrong with the white one for men either.

I had iniitally planned to get a black one, but after seeing pics of the white more and more and seeing how smudges and scratches show up on the black so much more, I think Im now going with white.....but I am female ;)

impact_blue

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2005
Stop being insecure and get what you want. Who cares if people think it's for the ladies. They're both sexy.

macsensei

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2007
I voted feminine, but now that I think about it..it isn't. I wouldn't get one though.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Well, if I don't choose the black one people will never believe me when I tell them my name is Rocko Murderdeath McKickass, and then however shall I impress them?

Besides, I have heard that reflecting photons between 400 and 700nm wavelengths is something homosexuals do.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
I don't get that either. If an item has the same form factor, why not give all the choices you've got? That's one of the areas I think Apple tries to save money a little too much. It would be nice to have just a few methods of customizing a computer (or replacing a macbook cover that got a paint rub on it that can't be fixed).
The answer is kind of boring and has to do with large volume sales. In a situation like that, what's best (for Apple), is to have one product in one colour that they can "shovel out the door." They pick the most popular colour for that product (black).

The higher end "pro" product (16GB model in this case) is manufactured in smaller amounts and is more expensive, thus a colour choice for that segment.

As the market saturates and production is more assured, other coloured models are introduced. Probably a Product [Red] before Christmas at the least. Eventually, in a more market, we will see pink, green, blue, etc.

SAMTATSICPRO

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2007
Los Angeles
ok if it was pink or a different color that would be feminine... so your telling me having a mighty mouse white is feminine>? white keyboard? white ear buds?? White is also not a color... LOL

Merlosso

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
It's in between, in my opinion. I prefer black but the white doesn't look feminine to me.

You need a "Unisex" option on the poll.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
Color is a preference.

Color does not determine if you are masculine or feminine.

Agreed. I also like the color purple (royal purple to be exact) but does that make me feminine or gay? No.
I dislike today's society's grip on color and masculinity/femininity.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
I actually like the white. I have a white Verizon Touch now. What is better about the iPhone is the dark front. Looking at a screen surrounded by white is a bit distracting.

For those worried about finger prints, use an InvisibleSHield. I love this product. It prevents scratches, is less of a fingerprint magnet, and also makes the phone less slippery.

I am not afraid to get a white phone! It may even be in stock when all the black ones are gone.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
ok if it was pink or a different color that would be feminine... so your telling me having a mighty mouse white is feminine>? white keyboard? white ear buds?? White is also not a color... LOL

Uh, yes....

A grown man using a "Mighty Mouse" does sound pretty feminine. Think about the name and such. And think about whether we would have admitted to owning and using a computer item called a "Mighty Mouse" just a mere 10 years ago?

Slap a number on it like Apple M501 or something.

When we give everything cartoony names, they do begin to sound a bit feminine. That goes for the whole "i" product line as well.

iSaga

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
Personally I think it is a hell of alot more feminine to describe a phone as sexy than the color of the plastic backing on the phone. Seriously man up dude, if you are secure in your own sexuality the color of your phone wont change that.

Yaara

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2008
Polls have already shown that *people* prefer the black over the white by about 75%/25% and females are roughly 50% of the population.

That's an interesting point to consider, but unfortunately, I don't think the poll consists of a random sample (assuming you mean the Mac Forums poll). It is likely that the proportion of females that read and respond to polls on MacRumors is not equal to that of males, but one would need to verify the gender distribution of all respondents to be sure. ;)

bazookafx3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Personally I think it is a hell of alot more feminine to describe a phone as sexy than the color of the plastic backing on the phone.

So what if i want to make sweet sweet love to my phone? Thats not weird is it?

bazookafx3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Not these days...

It's small, It's plastic and it's battery powered. Sounds normal these days. Well, normal for some anyway.

Especially if you aren't married.

Well at least SOMEONE here understands me!
I have a solution for everyone that wants a white iphone but is afraid of their masculinity and here it is: If anyone sneers at you for having the white iphone beat the S*** out of them! show them who's more masculine!

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
That's an interesting point to consider, but unfortunately, I don't think the poll consists of a random sample (assuming you mean the Mac Forums poll). It is likely that the proportion of females that read and respond to polls on MacRumors is not equal to that of males, but one would need to verify the gender distribution of all respondents to be sure. ;)
You are right of course but what are the odds that the MacRumours forum poll (and a couple of other internet polls that basically come up with the same numbers), did not contained exactly the same bias gender-wise as the answers were colour-wise?

It also kind of brings up sexism again in that your rebuttal implies that tech sites have a huge imbalance of users in terms of gender. Possible, but I think it's a bit unlikely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.