Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think the Apple Watch preorder and launch has been a complete mess/disaster?

• Total voters

~HavoK

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
Not a complete mess, but they should've been more prepared with certain models. The fact that no one is going to get a space black link bracelet on launch day is absurd.

I agree. My SS 42mm Milanese is also taking forever (they're only up to the *:07s, maybe) and I'm sure it's because the woven band takes more time to construct than the plastic sport ones. So... shouldn't they have made more in anticipation of the construction time? I'm beyond disappointed that the Sport Watches (especially the blue and white from what I've heard) are flying through the production line while my higher-end and more expensive model is taking forever.

Vote for mess.

MuseumVisitor

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2010
Pebble sweet Pebble

In the past, I have ordered every Apple and iPhone product at 3:01 and received it in the expected order.
This was the first time that I spent my waking hours on that April 10th to do the same as I have always did but as now no notification on sight of receiving my item yet.

I’m so upset that I will be more then ever before wearing my Pebble.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
I'm glad to see they've slightly adjusted the delivery estimates to more specific date ranges for those of us with June deliveries.

~HavoK

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
I'm glad to see they've slightly adjusted the delivery estimates to more specific date ranges for those of us with June deliveries.

Not for mine! Mine is still processing with just a "June" estimated shipping date...
42mm SS Mila ordered on 4/11 at about 2 est

Tezcatlipoca

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Cambridge, UK
I don't understand how they have under delivered. Yes the advert does say available on the 24th but some people did get theirs on the 24th. Also everyone got a 2 week window and we would have to wait until the end of the window before we could say that they have under delivered.

"Everyone"?

Nope, "everyone" didn't get a two week window.

Only people who ordered certain models/bands that had launch stock received a two week window, the rest received windows of e.g. 4-6 weeks (or later), depending on what they went for.

There was zero launch stock of the SS Link Bracelet and Space Black SS Link Bracelet, for example, with people who ordered those initially receiving 4-6 week windows, no matter how early they pre-ordered, and with people who ordered them a very short while later (less than 10 minutes for the Space Black) receiving vague "June" windows.

NauticalDan

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
Canada
not a complete mess, but messy

I wouldn't say it is a complete mess. But, it's not great. Some of my observations:

- they didn't have enough stock to launch in multiple countries.

- not all models were available at launch

- they should have sold the watch separately from the bands, or at least as a configuration option that is packaged separately from the watch.

- having the watch as an online purchase only is weird and inconvenient for some people.

- it isn't a good customer experience to know someone who ordered a watch with a June shipping estimate received it before yours with a 4/24 - 5/8 estimate, regardless of it being a different model.

- the shipping estimates even today on apple's website are not accurate. Almost everything says June, but some models are shipping in 1-2 days. this leaves people guessing, and maybe leads to multiple orders waiting for whichever one ships first

On the positive side, I hear the web store opened up right on time and worked well (too bad I slept through my alarm!!!).

Carac

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
I don't understand how they have under delivered. Yes the advert does say available on the 24th but some people did get theirs on the 24th. Also everyone got a 2 week window and we would have to wait until the end of the window before we could say that they have under delivered. I think the first come first policy is difficult to apply here as there are so many variations. It's not like a phone or an iPad where there are only a few combinations. If you ordered later but the watch you ordered isn't very popular then it makes sense that you might get yours before someone who ordered earlier but ordered a very in demand watch. It doesn't make sense to delay orders they can fulfill just so they ship after orders they can't fulfill.

I think only shipping 22% of pre-orders received the first week would be the definition of under-delivering.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102622556

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Nope, I think it has been great and don't know what all the fuss is about. I pre-ordered effortlessly, was given a delivery window immediately, and my watch is due to arrive tomorrow (within the window) and Apple have emailed me with updates. Has been a great experience. I am not bitter or resentful about all the other stuff that everyone seems to be taking so personally.

Antiloop

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
The Great White North
I think peoples excitement and emotions were just getting the best of them at times and created this perceived disaster in their minds.

And that people here began latching on to various theories (such as when planes landing at various airports would start to trigger charge events) didn't help either. Not to say that it was totally wrong, but without being inside the logistics chain there is no real way to know for sure if these theories were right.

And that people were harassing Apple support over questions that they would not have the answers too and being so rude in a lot of cases is really unfortunate.

The launch itself was fine. Yes there are issues such as some models, like the link bracelets, being extremely rare in these early stages. And they probably struggled to determine where demand was going to be across the product range. But the uglier side of the launch was with customers themselves.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
I really don't get why people are upset. Apple said preorders would start on April 10 and they did. And like every product they have had preorders for in the past, the stock has ran out quickly or in some case not been available for launch day shipping.
On the website it said expected ship dates for watches and if a date didnt meet your needs you could have simply ordered something else or not at all.
But the fact is Apple was very forthcoming about Watch arrival times and exceeding many peoples listed ship dates.
Has anyone not gotten their phone by the listed ship date or rather range? No. Then stop complaining.

Carac

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
The launch itself was fine. Yes there are issues such as some models, like the link bracelets, being extremely rare in these early stages. And they probably struggled to determine where demand was going to be across the product range. But the uglier side of the launch was with customers themselves.

I wouldn't call only shipping 22% of preorders fine. And the link bracelets weren't "extremely rare", they were non existent. They opened the store with a 4-6 week wait for link watches because they hadn't made A SINGLE ONE for consumers and didn't start until orders were in, like they assumed they would sell zero. Where Apple failed the most was managing expectations and communicating. ALL of their marketing up to launch made it seem all but assured that watches would be in all of our hands by that Friday. What they didn't tell us up front, was that some of the more expensive models wouldn't be available for over a month, we only learned that after hitting the store at 3:01am. Then we hear that they "are pleased to tell customers that the estimated delivery dates are a bit pessimistic and some will receive theirs earlier than expected" which created false hope and was an outright lie for many models. Which I guess is nice for the people that got theirs early, but it's like standing in line for a meal when you're hungry, having the people say "we're going to start serving early," and then watching everyone else skip you in line while you're left at the back. It's not fun. Whoever did their research into what they needed to produce should be FIRED. To not only miss the mark with production, but also miss it so badly that they had to scrap in-store sales, divert those watches to pre-orders and STILL come up so short means someone royally f*#$ed up. Sure, chalk it up to "a new market for them" but they still should have known that by the end of the year, they would be able to sell any and all of the non-edition watches they could make (we're not talking about a perishable commodity).

I've got up at 3:01 EST for pre-orders for years and have always got what I ordered on launch day, not 2-4 weeks later. Which is fine, but I had the expectation, thanks to Apple's marketing and PR, that I would have it on launch day. And here we are nearly a week post launch, and I'm still two weeks away from the earliest possible date on their window. My mother texted me a picture of her Space Grey black sport band Watch, which she admits she doesn't know how to use and only got because of the animated Mickey watch face. To a hardcore early adopter like myself, it's just twisting the knife. A simple email stating, "Many watches are moving up in delivery but the model you ordered is not, it takes longer to produce link watches and the originally shipping date for you, unlike many others who are getting theirs early, is accurate" would be nice to get.

Last edited:

Antiloop

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
The Great White North
Carac:

I get that you had expectations based on your previous experiences.

But...this time was different. They announced a few days before ordering that demand was well beyond supply. The fact that they were not going to have product in the stores on launch day also spoke to this. When the order was placed that they gave a delivery window was another pretty clear indicator that "hey...dont expect this on launch day because it is not likely to happen". And for those following rumor sites there was even the leaked Germany Apple Store screenshot which showed what the delivery windows for the various models were.

No one in this forum is likely to ever know the full story of the manufacturing issues they encountered, how they determined potential demand for the models, what quality issues they ran into during production, and other factor that would affect supply at launch. It is probably a fascinating story though.

I get that some people are bum hurt because they can't say "Im first!!!" this time. I've never been an early adopter until this product so personally I don't understand that desire. But outside this forum and other uber tech based sites I don't see any outrage over this launch, just excitement and curiosity. Waiting happens for new products all the time, even if some people here aren't used to that idea.

superlawyer15

Suspended
Sep 15, 2014
I think the whole launch even before orders started was a disaster.
...April is not "early 2015"
...and most of us won't even be getting it in April

Photography

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
This is by far the worst launch from Apple. The fact that someone placed an order on April 27th for the elusive 42mm space grey sport and it's being prepared for shipment (proof here) while others who placed orders for the very same model (such as myself, who preordered this exact model on launch day and my order is still processing) many days/weeks prior are still waiting is absolutely outrageous!

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
I'm on the fence. I got mine a week after official release. I don't really think its been a huge disaster but could things have gone smoother? Sure. Overall I think they announced release and then had production problems and did the best they could. Maybe I would be singing a different story if I still didn't have mine. :D

trauma62

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
FL
I think this post is completely off. It assumes a lot of things without facts. There is also a sense of entitlement . Apple Said early 2015 and they delivered, all models? no but they never said all would be available.
Store availability PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK from the very beginning apple said this was an internet/online ordering process.
Also were very specific with certain sku would not be readily available at launch.
Miscalculated the demand ? are you serious? thats normal marketing/selling strategy!!!.
I could go on and on, but i don't have much time.
Next release wake up earlier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.