Do you think the Apple Watch will just 'Drop' or will there be another event for it?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by biosci, Jan 10, 2015.

1. biosci macrumors 6502a

As the subject says. Do you guys think they'll just announce that it'll be released on a particular date or do you think there will be another demo event to showcase even more features? It's just been so quiet with any news regarding the Apple Watch. Most things are only from the initial announcement and then some random other small items such as who Apple is hiring or parts starting to get manufactured etc. Nothing really 'interesting' per se.

2. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I'd imagine that there'll be another press event, but that's just a guess.

3. Unconsoled macrumors regular

I believe they will do another event to address things like battery life, pricing, more functionality things. Seems unlikely they would just announce the date and drop it.

4. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I don't think they are going to want to talk about battery life at all.

Firstly, there is no way they can tell you what the battery life is, as they have no way to know how you are going to use it.

I'd suspect the only way it may be mentioned is something along similar lines to what Tim Cook VERY carefully said using his well scripted statement, of he feels you are going to enjoy using the watch so much, you are going to want to charge it every day :)

5. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Of course they will! It's being tested by senior Apple employees as we speak. They cannot just ignore mentioning battery life altogether and expect to sell millions of them. Plus - they will know how we use it - as they control the functions we can use. Use your head before writing posts! So what if you have to charge it every day, we are all used to charging almost all modern electrical artery devices everyday. People expecting week long battery life are fooling themselves! Of course it can do so much more than a Pebble watch or such like and will require more charging. Apple will be aware of every usage pattern possible at this stage and more so when it is public....and yes, there will almost certainly be an event where they will address the Apple Watch more than what we have seen so far. It's their new "thing" - or haven't you heard?

6. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Event. Major new category, so it makes sense. As stated above, there are still things to be addressed, so there should be an event.

7. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

There will definitely be an event. Perhaps with other announcements like a new Apple TV. I am hoping they will reveal the killer feature at that event. The features revealed seem too parlor trick (drawing, sending heartbeats) and light (sub-par fitness) to be all that the watch does. They need to show me why this is the watch to have over Android Wear or something from a fitness company.

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Perhaps it's because there is less you can do with the Apple phone then than Android wear ones?

I recall reading many posts of people with Moto 360's saying how at 1st they only were getting 8 hours use as they were playing with it all the time, but after a while and their usage settled down, to just using it as a normal watch with some notifications they got easy a day to a day and a half with it.

Even with my iPad I charged it up a LOT more in the 1st week of ownership as I was playing with it all the time.

They can't say any time as then you can say no it does not.

If if did play a video (not sure it does) then you could state how many hours of video playback it can do.
    Or how many hours of music playback with the screen turned off.

The best they can say is what Tim cook said really. Jut infer under normal use, it will only need a daily charge like your phone.

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I and I'm sure others would love a killer feature.
    It seems to be lacking things right now. But I think everyone is hoping later on when Apple allows devs to make proper apps for it, not just silly notifications, it will come more into it's own.

Of course THAT is when battery life will actually start to become an issue.

As I have said, that is my theory as to why Apple are going this.

If they allowed proper apps from day one, then everyone would say the battery life sucked.

By doing it this way and not allowing proper apps, it will last longer.
    That way they will get good initial press.

If, 8 months later full apps come out and apps drain the battery, as far as the media and people are concered, the battery life of the device is great, and that will be stuck in their minds.

Then the app will get blamed

10. Just1n12 macrumors member

Just1n12

They have a annual Q1 financial meeting on the 27th- they might announce an event scheduled for late February- early March with a release a week or two later with pre orders starting the day after the event?

11. matt9013 macrumors 6502

matt9013

I'm betting we'll get an event. They will want to show off models, prices, more information like what exactly you can do with it and if you will need an iPhone or if an iPad will work etc.

12. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

Definitely another event - probably before the time they plan to train retail on the watch (rumored to be second week of February). So I guess in the next three weeks?

13. biosci thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly what I was thinking too. Especially the sub par fitness items. It's sad to think that I'm actually even still considering another fitness band to have to go with / use alongside the apple watch. Or maybe even use it on,y for fitness purposes. (Thinking of the gps bands like the surge)

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Not a chance that Apple would have a detected :apple:Watch event since it has already been announced. While we as fans may like the idea, the tech press would be incensed at having to attended another event just to hear some details about an already announced product. The press would lambast Apple as being pompous and full of it for having the :apple:Watch announced twice. No way Apple would chance the bad/negative publicity. Much better to 'stealth' announce it and have the press play it up.

The only exception is if Apple has some type of event for the iPad Pro (probably not likely either). Apple could tack the :apple:Watch details on at the end.

Apple events are special and Apple wants to keep them that way. If you want to make them NOT special start having too many, especially if (semi) redundant.

15. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

There will be an event, Apple basically invented this format for product releases.

I bet battery 'standby time' is the unit of measure. If you didnt use your Apple watch, how long can it hold the charge.

I predict event to occur 2 weeks before release, probably around Feb 22 give or take.

16. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I think there should be a spring event (that could be about more than just Watch). If there's not I think Apple is making a big mistake. There's still so many unknowns about Watch to just announce it for sale one day without any more information on features, battery life, where it will be sold, etc. could hurt sales IMO.

17. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I think the last thing Apple can be accused of is having too many events. We've had two years in a row now with no events until June. That makes no sense. Are we really to believe that no new laptops are going to drop before WWDC? When the competition is already releasing Broadwell and fanless laptops? And as far as the watch goes it's not like Apple told us everything in the keynote. I mean when's the last time Apple announced the product without releasing pricing? All we know is the watch is going to start at $349. We are all assuming it's the aluminum watch with the rubber band. But we don't know for certain. Are they going to be selling bands separately? What about charging stands? Where is Watch going to be sold? Just Apple stores and online? Or places like Best Buy and Walmart? Or will they sell the higher end watches in places like Nordstrom or jewelry stores? It seems there's too much we don't know about Watch to just shove it in a press release that most people never see/read.

18. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I agree that it won't be dedicated solely to the watch, just as the first event wasn't. My guess would be a spring event that launches the Photos app on OS X, a new Apple TV, and then final details on the :apple:Watch. Maybe an iPad Pro or the new MacBook Air that has been floating around could also be announced.

However, they will have to give more detail on the watch. They won't just send a press release and update the store. If they do, I think they are grossly overestimating the current demand for the watch, or they aren't taking it as seriously as many assume. As I said earlier, what has been announced is not enough to make this a must-have device.

19. matt9013 macrumors 6502

matt9013

Apple not having an event would be very stupid. We hardly know anything about the :apple:Watch as of now and the demand isn't that high anyways. Apple needs to get the ball rolling on this thing.

A press release would not cover the amount of information we still need on these things.

Plus this is Apple. The company who has press events for the same phone every year and Ipads with very little to no upgrades. That's when they can even stream the event properly. Events are no longer special.

20. matthijst macrumors regular

Apple announced the first iPad and iPhone months before being released. Didn't have a new event for those, so I assume they won't have a special event for the watch.

They don't need to sell millions in the first weekend. Plus it's a different category: with iPhones and iPad you basically choose 1 of 3 colors and a config. With the watch people can choose loads of different combinations and its a device your wear on you, so people will want to try a bunch op options before buying one. I wouldn't be surprised if they would introduce it without too much hoopla, to get a feel for consumer interest and how to handle this new category.

21. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I see this as more similar to the Apple TV announcement. That was originally introduced in September and then reintroduced in January. The iPad was announced a month and a half before taking preorders, and the iPhone was mentioned at WWDC 2007. In fact, I believe that is when the release date was announced.

Both the iPhone and iPad had every detail in their original announcement, all the way down to price. However, iTV, later Apple TV, was much more in line with the :apple:Watch announcement. If I recall, didn't Apple even mention they had more to come on the :apple:Watch? I could be wrong on that.

22. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Yes at the event Tim Cook said there was "so much more" they didn't have time to show. And when he was showing off the watch on the Charlie Rose show he said something like "there's probably things on here you're not supposed to see".

23. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

Im certainly expecting an event. Apple simply couldn't just drop this with a press release. I suspect we'll see it in late February or early March. Though I expect the event will see.

- Apple Watch Final Details
    - iOS 8.2 Launch
    - OS X Update (Including Photo's for Mac)
    - Maybe that update to the Apple TV
    - MacBook Air with Retina Display
    - Possibly an iPad Pro (Less Likely though)