Do you think the iPad 1G will be fully supported by iOS 5?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by viperGTS, Jan 8, 2011.

1. viperGTS macrumors 65816

^title^

IMO, i think it will (minus anything camera related). i think the 1 GHz A4 will play a major role in it, and apple will push the iPad to its limits...

...what am i thinking? do you guys think the 1st gen iPad will be fully supported by iOS 5? or will there be limited support?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, I think it will
    Little early to be orphaning a product for early adopters

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Apple is probably regretting putting only 256MB RAM. That really limits what iOS5 will do.

4. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

No new OS from Apple has come without some features being exclusive to the newest device. MMS, video recording and voice control, iMovie and such come to mind. However, Apple hasn't brought a new OS without making 85% of the new features available to the older devices. The iPhone 3GS got multitasking, Airplay, etc, and the 3G got better Mail, and that sort of thing. However, the older the device, the fewer features get ported. Whether that's for technical or economic reasons, I'll leave that discussion.

Conclusion: Most of all will work but not exactly everything, if Apple is persistent.

5. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Hopefully, unless iOS 5 is some radical redesign. Of course maybe some features that might be needed for the hopefully more RAM in ipad 2.

6. Tunster macrumors 6502

Not really. iOS 4 works perfectly fine on the 3G and 3GS. Shows very efficient coding from Apple and will show through in iOS 5. The iPad isn't supposed to be a powerhouse and will turn out to be more of a productive tool rather than a core multi-media device that the iPhone 4 has been and the iPad 2 will most likely be.

I'm sure Apple will have a few tricks up their sleeve for iOS. It isn't all about hardware stats and numbers.

7. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

It doesnt work very well at all on the 3G. at least the 4.0.x series... ive been able to use my brothers 3G on 4.0.2 and its pretty awful. unfortunately ive heard that 4.2 is still bad on the 3G, though i havent been able to use 4.2 on a 3G yet.

honestly though, if 5.0 is fully (or almost completely) supported by iPad, then i will get a 1G. especially if the iPad 2 has that crappy design ive been seeing lately, and the price of refurbs goes down a bit. but hey if not (5.0 support), i can live with being fully supported by 4.2 :)

8. ZenErik macrumors 6502

The iPhone 3G is pretty much unusable on iOS 4. I can't even comprehend how anyone can stand using a 3G on that OS.

Great way for Apple to get people to upgrade though...

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

+1. iPad 1G should support the next 2 iOS releases. The iPod Touch did.

Although the 256MB ram limitation is true, I don't agree it will really "limit" iOS 5's performance. From a developers perspective, I can certainly say that hardware limitations are driven by software latency. I doubt 256MB will posses any head-scratching problems in front of Apple.

10. wesrk macrumors 6502a

Probably, if any, some minor features won't be supported, but for the most part everything should play nice with a first gen iPad.

11. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

5.0 will be mostly the same for the 1g. why? the iphone 2g had most on 2.0 the 3g got most on 3.0 and the 3gs got most on 4.0, they will stop giving it a lot of new features at 6.0.

12. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Yeah, generally last year's products are very well supported by the new OS release. It's when you go back to two years old or more that you see majorly reduced features.

13. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

The more appropriate question would be what you think will be in iOS5 that's going to limit the iPad 1G.

With the iPad 2G supposedly having a camera or cameras, it's reasonable that it's going to have video editing software like iMovie. That's not an OS limitation.

I think there will be things like wider AirPrint and Airplay support in iOS5 as well as finally having a some type of accessible storage area. With the ever-growing enterprise support, I assume there will be better features in mail and calendar as well. Those types of things will have no problem running on iPad 1G.

14. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

I think the idea is that we usually get two releases with basically everything the hardware can support. It's on the third release that the hardware has moved too far on, and major features start getting cut.

iPhone 1G went up to iOS3 (without MMS, video recording)
    iPhone 3G goes up to iOS4 (without multitasking)
    iPhone 3GS goes up to iOS4 (with multitasking, expect it to support nearly all of iOS 5)

What I predict for iOS5:
    - Documents folder (no prob for iPad 1)
    - USB support (iPad 2 has a mystery port, iPad 1 will need the CCK)
    - Revamped springboard with widgets (iPad 1 will be fine, it's certainly no slouch!)

15. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Though wasn't the lack of MMS on the original iPhone artificial? People who had JB claimed it worked fine.

People had got video recording working on the 3G, but frame rates were way down due to lack of hardware support.

I never upgraded my 3G past 3.1.3. Shortly before I bought my 4, I JB the 3G, and use it as a tether, on rare occasions, when I travel and need a hot spot.

16. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

Not entirely sure what to expect from iOS 5, sure Apple could add some visual spice to the new iPad (think live wallpaper ala Android and such) but I doubt that the first generation iPad will be long forgotten so quickly. Sure there are a lot of "droidpads" nipping at the iPads heels, but at the time, Apple has the ball.

I love my 64GB wifi beast and really can't find much to dislike about it. It serves it's purpose very well and cant think of much that really makes me want to upgrade at this point. Sure a facetime camera might be cool but then again, I can't remember the last time I've used it with my current generation iPod touch.

Another thought, thinking of the enterprise sector, camera enabled devices are a bit taboo. Especially when it comes to cell phones (Blackberry devices with no camera are common). Now thinking of the iPad 2, it could be a corporate nightmare in the wrong hands.

17. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I'm admittedly naive on this so I'll just ask.

Let's assume for a moment iPad 2 will have more RAM and the iOS reflects that, whereas while an iOS 5.x would work in iPad 1, it sure would help if iPad 1 had more RAM than the 256MB.

That said, is there even the slightest chance that the RAM in iPad 1.0 could be upgraded at an Apple Store etc? Anyone know enough about the guts of this thing to make an educated stab at it?

Mike

18. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Unfortunately not.

19. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

It took 3 years for the iPod 1G and the iPhone 2G to get left behind, I think it will take 3 years also for the iPad 1G.

It's not a smart move to not support their devices every year, that would mean that new features will not be available for all their users and some features such as the App Store are a business for them and if the App Store would only be available for the iPhone 4 (for example) then it would not be as successful as it is now.

20. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Nope, it's actually integrated into the processor package:

"The iPad RAM is inside the A4 processor package. Confirming this took quite a bit of sleuthing: we had to partner with Chipworks to X-ray the processor. The X-ray revealed two layers of RAM." (iFixit)