iPad Do you think the iPad 2 will get iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by goobot, Mar 29, 2014.

1. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Well it only got iOS 7 due to the fact that it was still being sold but this time around it was dropped half way through instead, so do you believe it will get iOS 8?

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

I say it's 50/50 at this point in time. We'll find out in Sept or when iOS 8 is released. I actually give it a little more than 50% because iOS 7 was downright buggy and had performance issues. Maybe Apple will realize this and tighten things up with iOS 8 and release it on the iPad 2. Again we shall see.

3. acorntoy macrumors 65816

Nope. It's just like how the $199 iPod touch 4G was dropped suddenly so Apple didn't have to support it on ios 7.

The ipad mini and iPod touch 5G probably will though, and a lot of people will probably be pissed about it, but it's probably for the best because I don't see the A5 doing well on ios 8 :/

4. irDigital0l Guest

5. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

6. Count Blah, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

Since they were selling them as recently as a week or two ago, I'd say yes. It might be with most of the "improvements" with iOS 8 disabled. The iPad and original mini yes. But iPhone 4s would not be supported.

But then again, look what thy did with the iPod shuffle 4th generation. It wasn't supported very long.

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I don't think so, and not for the computational power limitation, but for the 512 Mb of ram.
    I think next generation iOS will be based on the 1 Gb footprint.
    So basically everything from iPhone 4s will be limited at iOS 7.1

Another possibility, like Count Blah said, could be a "limited" iOS 8.
    It happened before IIRC.

8. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

I think it depends upon what iOS 8 is going to be. Is it going to be a more refined and optimized version of 7? I hope so. After dramatic changes (on the surface and under the covers) between 6 and 7, I'd like to think that Apple has been using this time between 7 and 8 to tighten things up. Performance with 7.1 is not where it should be IMO.

If that's the case (probably not though), then I can see the iPad 2 getting a "reduced function" iOS 8 in much the same way that the iPhone 4 has with 7.

9. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

Apple has always RAM-bottlenecked iOS devices for marketing puproses.

The original iPad, iPhone 3GS or fourth-gen iPod Touch with 512 MB of RAM would run iOS 7 as good as the iPhone 4.

10. Tsepz macrumors 68000

Tsepz

I highly doubt it will. It will probably get whatever bug fix updates iOS7 gets and then end there at iOS 7.x

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

The original iPad used a single core Cortex A8 CPU just like the iPhone 4, so the difference is just 256 Mb vs 512 Mb .

12. 0007776 Suspended

I think it will get it, but most of the new features won't work, so it'll pretty much be iOS 7 with more bug fixes.

13. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

No.

They don't sell it anymore, it has reached it's EOL.

14. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I think the iPad 3rd generation is in trouble too...

15. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Every iOS 7 device will, without a doubt, receive at least some features of iOS 8.

Apple has always sold new devices with new iOS versions. And Apple is still selling the A5-based iPhone 4S, iPad mini (basically an mini iPad 2), and the iPod touch. iOS 8 will support A5 devices.

Replacing the iPad 2 with the iPad 4 was purely to appeal to businesses and schools for bulk purchases. If Apple was planning on dropping support for the iPad 2, it would have also discontinued the extremely similar iPad mini.

Also it has been practically confirmed that iOS 8 will include performance enhancements and will support an iWatch accessory. Since iOS 8 includes performance enhancements to iOS 7, and since iOS 7 still includes many bugs and is crash prone, every device with iOS 7 should receive iOS 8. And the other main feature of iOS 8, iWatch accessory support, is an essential feature to support on as many devices as possible so that Apple could have a larger market for this companion device.

16. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Since Apple's still selling the iPad Mini which is practically identical to the iPad 2 in terms of processing power, I reckon yes, it'll get iOS 8. However, whether it will perform well or have most of the new features is a question.

17. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I agree with the 50/50 likelihood, but for a different reason (I think 7.1 is a really great OS). The iPad 2 has the same specs as the iPhone 4s, so as long as Apple keeps selling the iPhone 4s I think you'll be good. But then, there is the possibility that it will fall into the same category as the iPod touch 4th Gen, they kept selling it until WWDC came around and dropped it in favor of a slightly more expensive, though less feature packed 16GB 5th Gen touch because 7 wouldn't support the 4th Gen touch.

The other thing is, it seems Apple is no longer going for forced obsolescence. Mavericks runs on iMacs and MacBook Pros as old as 2007. Yeah, 2007. And iOS 7 is running on 4 year old mobile hardware, which is pretty damn good.

18. Izauze macrumors 6502

Yes. I'd put money on it. It'll definitely have iOS 8 because iPad mini definitely will and they're essentially the same device. It may not be full-featured, but 100% chance it will be supported in some way.

19. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

I had Ipad 2 and Iphone 5c then i sold Iphone 5c but when it was with me, i dont see any significant diff. in term of speed on ios 7 compare to my Ipad 2.

Since 7.0, the work "smooth" has been removed from all ios device obviously. If Ios 8 will maintain the same "look" then i dont see why Ipad 2 can't upgrade. The problem is apple just took it out of store in replace by 4. Now every ios are equip with new "lightning cable" so it make sense they will stop ipad 2 at 7 and only update new devices. Ipad 2 might have capability to go 8 but its up to apple to decide. I dont know if today sales figure ipad 2 still on top or still sell well or not. To me, ipad2 or Air doesn't make difference much. Both same screen size, batterywise.

20. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

The iPod Touch 4th gen was so RAM-starved that it barely ran iOS 4 well. I reckon the decision not to release iOS 7 for it had more to do with performance issues than anything else. Meanwhile, Apple's still selling the iPad mini with A5 CPU, 512MB RAM and 1024x768 display which is what the iPad 2 has. That said, I think the 2 and mini are almost EOL by way of iOS updates.

21. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

How's that? I use a non-Retina mini everyday with 7.1 and never have any problems.

22. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

I agree with 50/50. I don't think it's determinative that the internals are essentially the same as the 4s and original mini because apple dropped support for ipad 1 before iPhone 4, and they had very similar internals. I think they also dropped support for an iPod touch that was very similar to a still-supported iPhone, but I can't recall which models.

If it does get iOS 8, it will be very hamstrung in terms of features (it's already missing things like Siri and AirDrop even though the hardware could support them). I personally still have mine on iOS 6, as I think the performance hit to upgrade is not worth the new features.

23. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

The iPad 2's been around since what, iOS 4? I reckon we're looking at just 1-2 major updates before Apple drops support for it.

Thing is the iPhone 4 has A4 CPU, 512MB RAM and 640*960 resolution. The iPad 1 has A4 CPU, 256MB RAM and 1024*768 resolution, not to mention it usually loads desktop instead of mobile versions of websites. Likely has higher memory footprint, too, owing to bigger graphic assets. Heck, even the iPod Touch 4th gen got an update to iOS 6.

It was the iPod Touch 3rd gen and iPhone 3GS.

24. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I highly doubt iPad 2 will get iOS 8. It has a hard enough time running iOS 7.

25. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I believe it will likely get iOS 8 since both the iPad Mini and iPod Touch 5G will highly likely get iOS 8. Apple could always not update the iPad 2 and 4S and update the Mini and iPod models, kinda like how Apple doesn't allow certain API's on older device (ex. 60 FPS was disabled for 4S models but works on the iPod :confused: despite having the same SOC). Though the iPad 2 will seriously been an great investment in terms of software updates since it's been having updates since iOS 4. :eek: