iPad Do you think the iPad Air 3 will have the same vibration "issue"?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wineandcarbs, Jun 21, 2015.

1. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

"Issue" in quotations because I know it is a matter of personal preference and not everyone finds it an issue.

Do you think the next iPad Air will have the same form factor and speakers, and therefore the same level of vibration when the volume is turned up?

2. ipaddaro macrumors member

of course i don't know.

but i think that if they don't increase thickness (i don't think it will happen) the "issue" will be the same.

with such a little thickness, i think it is necessary for the case to vibrate in order to produce a good quality sound... a lot of people is complaining about the vibration, and it could be annoying, but the sound quality of the air 2 is very good... especially if put on a wooden surface. i'm not kidding.

so, they could reduce vibration but sacrificing thinness and/or sound quality.
    just my opinion.

3. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

im pretty sure the thickness isnt issue, they can reduce vibration by re-placing speaker(s). im sure the vibration isnt issue for apple, otherwise they would have noticed it too in prototypes. and the vibration is not only problem with the sound, they need to place the speaker(s!) to somewhere else than against my palm, stomach and pointing backward. i have never been statisfied with the sound quality. it is amazing poor quality. but it is ipad not a hifi speaker.

4. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Would stereo speakers vibrate less? Or would they just make the entire thing buzz rather than just the bottom half? Speakers that are similar to the Nexus 9 is what I sort of have in mind.

5. Heisenberg888 macrumors member

Heisenberg888

Personally, I think apple have not optimised the bass of the speaker to suit the thinness of the iPad Air 2 chassis. The iPhone 6 is 0.8mm thicker than the iPad Air 2 and does not vibrate when playing sound. Neither does my iPad Mini 2. This is why I sent my iPad Air 2 back in the hope that they do fix this in the iPad Air 3.

6. rpetunderclass macrumors regular

Isn't it because the iPad air 2 is a bit more hollow?

7. laudern macrumors 6502a

The vibration isn't an issue to start with. Honestly, if it wasn't for this website I wouldn't even recognised it as an issue.

Will the air 3 fix the distortion issues??? That's a far better question!

8. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I hope they do get it sorted because I will not purchase another iPad unless this is rectified. Yeah, it's THAT bad. The demo unit I tried when they came out was obnoxious even at just 3-4 bars of sound. It wasn't so much the chassis itself vibrating but rather the screen itself vibrating. Sorry but I listen to music and surf/type/whatever and this vibration was a monumental deal killer. It was an issue with gaming too.

Can't believe Apple didn't realize this. Thin, thin, thin comes at a cost. The Air 2 is hardly any lighter or thinner but the device itself became too flimsy because of it.

Bleh.

9. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I really hope not. While not a deal breaker, it is very annoying when you can feel it though the screen at 20% volume.

10. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I have reason to believe that the next iPad Air will not suffer from speaker vibration.

Apple's mode of operation is to initially be silent on an issue. If it gains enough public attention, they'll make a statement denying the existence of the issue. (behind the scenes they'll investigate it like crazy to determine possible corrective actions) If the attention persists or grows, then Apple will acknowledge a limited scope of the issue and provide a fix.

If a fix would not be financially viable (comparing the cost of the fix with the impact to customer sat and public perception), they will continue to deny the existence of the issue and quietly correct it with the next generation.

I think they'll fix the issue with the iPad Air 3 and not tell anyone that they deliberately modified the hardware design to address the issue.... vibration will simply not be present.

We've seen this time and time again. For example: People complained about light bleeding of the backlighting on the iPads. There were reports of customers exchanging iPads multiple times in order to get one with that was acceptable. These people were dismissed as unreasonably anally-retentive, spoiled, with a sense of entitlement... until Apple obtusely acknowledged the issue and announced a change in vendors supplying the screens.

11. Heisenberg888 macrumors member

Heisenberg888

Well as the OP states, he put issue in quotation marks as it clearly is not an issue for some people, like you, but is an issue for others, who like me, have returned it for this reason. Yes, you can put up with it, and other people even like the vibrations caused by the speaker, but I can tell you with other apple products, even as thin as this does not have anywhere near the vibration "issue" as the iPad Air 2. I tried the Air 1 in store, my iPad mini 2, my iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 plus in store; none of them vibrated the extent of the iPad Air 2, which noticeably vibrates even at 2 bars of volume.

Also, why should people who don't like this speaker vibration put up with it and not voice their concerns; they like other iPad Air 2 owners have paid a lot of money for a product, where the user experience is noticeably affected by a problem Apple and some of the major reviewers do not acknowledge. I would have kept mine, but for this "issue" because i am willing to wait for to see if Apple will fix or significantly reduce this speaker sound vibrations in the iPad Air 3. If people who don't like it keep it they are just condoning this "issue" and apple will have no reason to fix this.

You can also visit this thread which stretches to 44 pages to see that a lot of other people also have an "issue" with it.

For me this isn't a problem; just don't hold your iPad Air 2 too tightly to cause the screen distorsion. Either that or start a new thread where you can share your complaint and maybe someone else can dismiss it as not even being an issue.

12. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Oh yes Apple will because they realized deaf people are using an iPad a lot. If Apple choose to ditch it, Apple might be facing huge lawsuits from majority of deaf people.

13. Makendu macrumors member

i have a case on my mine and otter box and it don't really notice it with it on