Do you think the ipad3 will have Gorilla Glass?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marc55, Jan 20, 2012.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Do you think the ipad3 will have Gorilla Glass or some other tough glass resistent to scratching?

2. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Sure, the iPad 2 and first generation iPad already had gorilla glass (just like the iPhone 4 and 4S), so why not the iPad 3?

3. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

I didn't realize the ipad2 had gorilla glass

4. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I've had my iPad 2 since a week after release (10 months now) and it's constantly being banged on by my baby. No screen protector, no scratches. IDK if they use gorilla glass specifically, but it's pretty scratch-resistant.

5. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Neither Apple or Corning have ever publicly acknowledged Gorilla Glass in iOS products, but the Steve Jobs bio book makes it pretty clear.

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Will likely use Corning's latest, Gorilla Glass II

7. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I have read that Apple buys most of the Gorilla glass that Corning makes.

8. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

And where did you say you read this ?

9. db123 macrumors member

Gorilla Glass 2

Ipad 3 is coming with gorilla glass 2 for sure!

10. mmmtastybusch macrumors regular

Has anyone had a problem with the screen actually breaking? I just got mine a couple weeks ago and I've been really worried about dropping it. It seems like a 2 foot drop would shatter this thing! Is it pretty durable with drops or no?

11. ped, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

ped macrumors regular

12. slicecom macrumors 68020

Straight from Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson:

Steve Jobs helped pioneer the use of gorilla glass in phones back when everyone else was still using plastic. All iOS devices have used gorilla glass from day 1. Case closed.

13. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

The problem with that test is that the S2 has plastic that "lips" a bit over the screen, so that if it hits the corner, it isn't in direct contact with the glass. The iPhone has class as the outermost layer of the entire phone, so of course it will shatter easier.

14. ped macrumors regular

The whole point of Gorilla glass is not to shatter. In fact they demonstrate it at trade shows by having people pound it with metal hammers - so how does anyone conclude that the iPhones or iPads use it when they break quite easily?

Demo of Gorilla Glass:

http://vimeo.com/8602963

----------

The phones were both dropped FACE DOWN onto the concrete. The S2 survived with nary a scratch but the iPhone 4S was destroyed.

15. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Gorilla Glass isn't just about glass NOT breaking. It's about 'safely' breaking.

Remember this Newsday iPad commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSJm3nIicK4

As you can see, the glass is flying all around the room. The truth here is, that the 'iPad' you see isn't a real iPad but a dummy one (to save money, of course). With a real iPad, what would happen is: a) nothing or b) the glass would crack, but no glass would be flying around the room - it is safe.

That is what Gorilla Glass is.

16. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

The lip on the S2 will still help with that, from that video you can see it doesn't hit directly on the face of the phone, it rotates before it hits the ground.

I'm not saying that the iPhone is invincible, I know it isn't because I broke my iPhone 4 back piece by dropping it. I'm just saying that the lip of the S2 definitely helps with drops. And the fact that it's plastic which bends easier than glass.

17. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

No, but it will have Cat glass. It won't have Gorilla glass because they would have to kill too many gorillas to manufacture it but there are plenty of cats available.

18. ped macrumors regular

From Corning's site:

"Corning® Gorilla® Glass

Visually stunning, lightweight, and highly damage-resistant, Corning® Gorilla® Glass is changing the way the world thinks about glass. It helps protect the world’s coolest smartphones, tablets, PCs, and TVs from everyday wear and tear."

GG is all about not breaking.

19. Dorje Sylas macrumors 6502

It depends on the impact point. I did drop my iPad 2 a few weeks ago in a super-boneheaded balancing act (the iPad was on top of a stack of rather unstable stuff in my arms). Took about a 5 foot fall and landed on edge just above the speaker. Shattered the whole glass pane, but the actual touch screen was okay. I could have paid for a 3rd party to swap out the glass, but ended up taking my lumps at Apple (300 dollar replacement cost) because I really needed my iPad functional the next day.

Very few cases would have saved the glass from that kind impact, no glass can survive an edge on impact. In terms for front impacts, takes them quite well. I've banged it gently into the edges of desks with no signs for scratching.