Do you think the ipad3 will have Gorilla Glass?

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Do you think the ipad3 will have Gorilla Glass or some other tough glass resistent to scratching?

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Sure, the iPad 2 and first generation iPad already had gorilla glass (just like the iPhone 4 and 4S), so why not the iPad 3?

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
I've had my iPad 2 since a week after release (10 months now) and it's constantly being banged on by my baby. No screen protector, no scratches. IDK if they use gorilla glass specifically, but it's pretty scratch-resistant.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
I have read that Apple buys most of the Gorilla glass that Corning makes.

mmmtastybusch

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
Has anyone had a problem with the screen actually breaking? I just got mine a couple weeks ago and I've been really worried about dropping it. It seems like a 2 foot drop would shatter this thing! Is it pretty durable with drops or no?

ped

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2005
Last edited:

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Straight from Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson:

..a really great CEO in this country, Wendell Weeks, who runs Corning Glass. Steve Jobs when he does the iPhone decides he doesn’t want plastic, he wants really tough glass on it, and they don’t make a glass that can be tough like they want. And finally somebody says to him, because they were making all of the glass in China for the fronts of the stores, says, “You ought to check with the people at Corning. They’re kind of smart there.” So, he flies to Corning, New York, sits there in front of the CEO, Wendell Weeks, and says, “This is what I want, a glass that can do this.” So, Wendell Weeks says, “We once created a type of process that created something called Gorilla Glass.” And Steve said, “No, no, no. Here’s how you make really strong glass.” And Wendell says, “Wait a minute, I know how to make glass. Shut up and listen to me.” And Steve, to his credit, shuts up and listens, and Wendell Weeks describes a process that makes Gorilla Glass. And Steve then says, “Fine. In six months I want enough of it to make–whatever it is–a million iPhones.” And Wendell says, “I’m sorry, we’ve actually never made it. We don’t have a factory to make it. This was a process we developed, but we never had a manufacturing plant to do it.” And Steve looks at him and says what he said to Woz, 20, 30 years earlier: “Don’t be afraid, you can do it.” Wendell Weeks tells me… Because I flew to Corning, because I just wanted to hear this story. Wendell Weeks tells me, “I just sat there and looked at the guy. He kept saying, ‘Don’t be afraid. You can do this.’” [audience laughter] WI: Wendell Weeks said he called his plant in Kentucky that was making glass for LCD screens, and said, “Start the process now, and make Gorilla Glass.” That’s why every iPhone in your pocket and iPad has Gorilla Glass made by Corning. This is the reality distortion field that is, I submit, part and parcel of a guy who doesn’t believe the rules apply to him, even the rule about never cut in line. AL: And of course Corning uses this in their marketing now, they market Gorilla Glass for other customers.

Steve Jobs helped pioneer the use of gorilla glass in phones back when everyone else was still using plastic. All iOS devices have used gorilla glass from day 1. Case closed.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
The NY Times article states that iPhones use Gorilla Glass but I find that extremely unlikely. Look at this drop test between iPhone 4S and Galaxy S2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKxgsrJFhw
The problem with that test is that the S2 has plastic that "lips" a bit over the screen, so that if it hits the corner, it isn't in direct contact with the glass. The iPhone has class as the outermost layer of the entire phone, so of course it will shatter easier.

ped

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2005
The problem with that test is that the S2 has plastic that "lips" a bit over the screen, so that if it hits the corner, it isn't in direct contact with the glass. The iPhone has class as the outermost layer of the entire phone, so of course it will shatter easier.
The whole point of Gorilla glass is not to shatter. In fact they demonstrate it at trade shows by having people pound it with metal hammers - so how does anyone conclude that the iPhones or iPads use it when they break quite easily?

Demo of Gorilla Glass:

http://vimeo.com/8602963

----------

The phones were both dropped FACE DOWN onto the concrete. The S2 survived with nary a scratch but the iPhone 4S was destroyed.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
The whole point of Gorilla glass is not to shatter. In fact they demonstrate it at trade shows by having people pound it with metal hammers - so how does anyone conclude that the iPhones or iPads use it when they break quite easily?

Demo of Gorilla Glass:

http://vimeo.com/8602963

----------

The phones were both dropped FACE DOWN onto the concrete. The S2 survived with nary a scratch but the iPhone 4S was destroyed.
Gorilla Glass isn't just about glass NOT breaking. It's about 'safely' breaking.

Remember this Newsday iPad commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSJm3nIicK4

As you can see, the glass is flying all around the room. The truth here is, that the 'iPad' you see isn't a real iPad but a dummy one (to save money, of course). With a real iPad, what would happen is: a) nothing or b) the glass would crack, but no glass would be flying around the room - it is safe.

That is what Gorilla Glass is.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
The lip on the S2 will still help with that, from that video you can see it doesn't hit directly on the face of the phone, it rotates before it hits the ground.

I'm not saying that the iPhone is invincible, I know it isn't because I broke my iPhone 4 back piece by dropping it. I'm just saying that the lip of the S2 definitely helps with drops. And the fact that it's plastic which bends easier than glass.

ped

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2005
Gorilla Glass isn't just about glass NOT breaking. It's about 'safely' breaking.
From Corning's site:

"Corning® Gorilla® Glass

Visually stunning, lightweight, and highly damage-resistant, Corning® Gorilla® Glass is changing the way the world thinks about glass. It helps protect the world’s coolest smartphones, tablets, PCs, and TVs from everyday wear and tear."

GG is all about not breaking.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Has anyone had a problem with the screen actually breaking? I just got mine a couple weeks ago and I've been really worried about dropping it. It seems like a 2 foot drop would shatter this thing! Is it pretty durable with drops or no?
It depends on the impact point. I did drop my iPad 2 a few weeks ago in a super-boneheaded balancing act (the iPad was on top of a stack of rather unstable stuff in my arms). Took about a 5 foot fall and landed on edge just above the speaker. Shattered the whole glass pane, but the actual touch screen was okay. I could have paid for a 3rd party to swap out the glass, but ended up taking my lumps at Apple (300 dollar replacement cost) because I really needed my iPad functional the next day.

Very few cases would have saved the glass from that kind impact, no glass can survive an edge on impact. In terms for front impacts, takes them quite well. I've banged it gently into the edges of desks with no signs for scratching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.