Do you think the iphone 5 will have longer battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Innovator82, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Innovator82 macrumors newbie

The only thing I don't like about the iphone4 is the low battery. When I travel, it's gone by 2 PM because I use the GPS a lot. I can abuse the iPad all day without worry and it would be so cool if the iPhone 5 was like that.

2. Clarkish macrumors newbie

I think its going to heavily depend on which carrier is going to have "LTE" or "4G" enabled iPhones, if at all and the coverage.

3. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I hope so! My battery lasts on average 10-14 hours a day, which is good I guess, but it'd be nice if it was even better.

4. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

5. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Keyword: Hopefully
    It would be nice, especially since every iPhone update so far has had a slight battery improvement.

6. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I hope so. Although if the battery life was increased then it might get slightly cancelled out by the bigger screen using more power (if the bigger screen rumours turn out to be true). So I predict that battery life will be about the same with maybe a tad bit better battery life on the iPhone 5.

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

What the hell...?
    Can you find me a smartphone that is just as functional as iPhone 4 and has same amount of battery?

You must be using GPS like crazy.

Apple will improve battery life with iOS 5 and new iPhone 5. But, it won't be that much better... like 2 times or higher.

Buy a battery pack for iPhone.

8. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Let's hope.

Lithium technology is the SLOWEST advancing tech I've ever seen. They need to get a move on. Lithium tech is definitely not an easy thing to advance in though...

My solution:
    Say hello to nuclear fusion!!! :D

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Nope. It'll have more features and the same battery life like always.

According to the rumors (leaked parts) the battery is slightly bigger although not enough to make a difference ... that small.

All you'll need is a banana peel and aluminum can. ;)

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Agreed. We've already seen the leaked part so unless they find some major efficiencies in other components, probably not.

Battery tech is still moving too slow.

11. pjcforpres2020 macrumors regular

Really? As someone that is a huge Android user, has used BB's, etc. the iPhone's battery life is the envy of the smartphone world. Basic BB's are better, but they are also weak sauce. Android is pitiful compared to Android, and WP7 is about the same.

What ever magic juice Apple gives the iPhone, it is obvious (no offense) that the battery gets an extra helping.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They seem to have improved in battery life over the years. Not by much but small improvements with every release. My i4 holds pretty well, better than any other phone I used.
    But like said above if its true LTE then it will probably be worst.

13. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

No, the iPhone 5 will have a worse battery than the iPhone 4.

14. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I think we can expect the battery life to be at least as good as the iPhone 4, if not better. The Dual Core A5 chip should be using batteries more efficiently.

15. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

16. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

Be crazy if they can run lipo battery or a A123 on that haha that would solve the battery issues:D I know a lot about batteries with my rc hobbies..people need to calibrate the iPhone 4 battery and cycle/break it in for a long lasting battery life..

17. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

And how would people do that? The same way listed on the Apple website?

18. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Has the capacity of the new battery been listed? If people are just going off physical size, I'm sure in the past year and a half they've improved battery density a little bit. Also, the dual core A5 should improve the battery life slightly too. All the little things add up.

19. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

If you're complaining about the battery on the iPhone... Trust me, never try an Android phone. You've got the best there is now.

But yes I hope it does get improved too. Who doesn't want more battery life? :)

20. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Battery life is great on the iPhone, you're right.

This is my guess as well.

21. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

The battery spec of the iPhone 5 is almost the same as the iPhone 4. IOS5 doesnt seem to drain more battery running on an iPhone 4 so my conclusion is:

It will be about the same.

(Unless the iPhone 5 has quite a few new tech features packed in)

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think it will be better. I think the days of being able to use your phone a good part of the day and not have to charge it midway through are over. I've used my phone on a 4-hour flight and was at 40% battery. Within one 15-minute call I was dropping well below 20%.

I'd be happy if I could get about 5 hours of use out of my phone per day and still be over 50% battery capacity.

23. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

The leaked battery didn't look that bigger so maybe they might be able to squeeze in a little bit more hopefully!

24. troop231, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

troop231 macrumors 603

Actually the leaked battery is .05 Whrs greater than the iPhone 4's battery.