Do you think the iPhone 6's contract price will raise to $299

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TantalizedMind, May 6, 2014.

1. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

I've heard a few times Apple is trying to to raise the two year contract price of the iPhone 6 to $299 from $199. Do you think they will do it?

I have an iPhone 4 and want a larger screen than the 5S so I think I want to wait for the 6. But money is tight. I have no problem getting a 5S because Verizon will give me $100 for my iPhone 4 and $50 for my iPhone 3GS. So a new iPhone 5S would only cost me $50.

But if I wait for the iPhone 6 to come out, by that time Verizon may lower their trade in credit which will put me further back and then to top it off if the iPhone 6 is $299 it will probably be out of my price range.

What do you guys think will happen?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If they do, it will be foolish of them.

There's already a lot of price pressure from Apple's competitors, plus the move away from subsidized pricing by the carriers. They really don't want to price themselves outside of what people are willing to pay.

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

$500 + tax for the 64GB version, that would be insane D: If they do raise the price, the base model better be a 32GB...

4. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

IMO all future iPhones should come with at least 32GB.

5. SoIsays macrumors regular

Apple will do it only if we allow them. The consumer forum response should be abhorently negative to any price increase. Any sign of acceptance of a price increase is all a corporation needs. You give them an inch, they take a mile.

6. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

7. Twixt macrumors 6502

I know what you mean but AAPL went against this intuitive trend in producing 5c with 8 GB...

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

A lot of people do. It makes sense to buy a subsidized phone for 199 instead of 500 to 600 dollars. The month to month bill is no higher then if you bring your own phone.

That's changing now in the US, but it still makes sense it seems until the carriers start discounting the cell phone plans for those who bring their own phone.

9. bniu macrumors 6502a

Which AT&T does...

10. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Yep. I can't afford $650 on a phone, no matter how smart it is. I'm shocked so many people can afford that.

----------

They made an 8GB 5C?!! I never payed attention to that model cause they are made out of plastic and were sold with old hardware (iPhone 5 hardware instead of 5S).

11. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Do they fully? I remember some analysis in these forums a while ago that figured out AT&T was keeping about $10 from the subsidy model in with the new plans while removing the subsidy and asking customer to pay full price..

12. Deguello macrumors 6502

AT&T cuts the phone's monthly cost $25 a month for the larger data pools. That's more money than the subsidy.

13. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

But that was also reflected in the price of the 5C being $100 cheaper.

14. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I don't think so. A 5.1" Galaxy S5 is $199 on contract for a 16GB version. I can't see Apple raising the price. Unless they do a "phablet" (gosh I hate that word) then I can see it being $299, like the Note 3.

15. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I dont think apple will do this they sorta got every one into thinking that its going to be 199 and if they raise the price well that could really anger some people. I know I would be made. I have only made 10 cents off of YouTube I cant just save up another $100...

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    I think they will try to stay competitive with other manufacturers with similar phones and price ranges.
    But again, it is Apple and their stuff is always more expensive than everyone elses so you never know.

17. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Hey it's summery now (at least in Texas) you can always mow yards! Surely that'll make you more money than your $.10 on Youtube. :D People here charge $25 and up depending on how large the yard is. You can make that $100 in no time!

18. The Doctor11, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014

The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

No one where I live will pay me to mow their lawns. Most people in my area get it done by a pro. But my one neighbor might pay me to mow his law that's a good idea. But you should all go subscibe to me on YouTube. The channel is tech with Matthew http://m.youtube.com/channel/UCNESJxx6oKYq8RcYza_ckQA

19. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

When was the 5c produced in an 8GB variant? I thought it only came in 16 & 32 GB? At least, that is what is says at apple.com now.

Edit: Nevermind. I see now that the 8GB 5c wasn't produced in the US market.

20. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

Really? We've got 3 phones (bring your own on AT&T) with unlimited calling and texting and 10gb shared data. With a 20% fan discount, we pay $138 a month. What carrier offers the same service WITH subsidized phones for this much?