Do you think the MacBook Pro 2018 would eventually be a part of keyboard replacement program?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Khaleal, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Khaleal macrumors member

After seeing that the keyboards in 2018 models aren't really fixed and users are still reporting issues with the "revised" keyboard, do you think that 2018 models would eventually be a part of the keyboard replacement program that Apple lunched in June?

2. Ploki macrumors 68040

I don't think so.
    2018 problems are pretty specific and in my opinion are more related to silicone membrane defects that passed QC and shouldn't; than the dust issues of 2016/17.

my returned i9 developed the issue after one month of light use and with a keyboard cover.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Not until the issues become widespread.

4. Khaleal thread starter macrumors member

Well, from my experience, dust isn't the main factor causing these keyboard issues, it's heat. My 2016 MacBook Pro was kept in a very clean environment and almost never left the office, but still developed repeating keys.

5. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

I would expect so, the problems don’t seem to be fixed.
    I would have AppleCare all the same though.

6. zchrykng macrumors member

zchrykng

It better be. Mine has been experiencing issues less than 45 days after purchase. If they won't cover it... well, small claims court exists for a reason.

7. SDColorado macrumors 68040

SDColorado

I have had problems with my “e” key becoming unresponsive on this one. “Fixed” it by mashing the key repeatedly until it began to work again. Hasn’t been a problem in the couple weeks since, but don’t have a lot of faith in it. Just a couple months old.

Returned a previous one because 4 keys were becoming unresponsive and the 8 key sometimes stuck.

Personally, I will be shocked if Gen. 3 isn’t at some point added. Several people in the Gen. 3 keyboard thread have reported issues, some have had 4 and 5 machines and all have had keyboard issues. These keyboards are still far from right.

8. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

What’s strange though is that AppleInsider are claiming that the 2018 is as reliable as any 2015 keyboard. Perhaps even more so.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...acbook-air-with-the-less-expensive-2017-model

C853A2C5-B091-4892-B292-589CF131FAA8.jpeg

9. sane.voice macrumors newbie

10. Khaleal thread starter macrumors member

The night before Apple announced the keyboard replacement program, apple fanboys were still saying that the issue isn't widespread enough and is limited to a small number of machines.

11. Donnation macrumors regular

Donnation

I wouldn't be surprised. I'm more concerned with the flex cable issue which according to iFixit it is a problem that's going to happen to all of these MacBooks due to their design.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, but the issue was widespread and even Rene Ritchie of iMore had his laptops succumb to the failure, even after continually marginalizing the issue. As for the 2018 model, only time will tell. I'm sure if the 2018 model is included in a class action lawsuit that might move apple to include it.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 ---
    Indeed, I sold my laptop just as this issue was perculating and I have to say, I'm so happy that I'm dodging that bullet. The 2016 models are showing this failure due to the usage, and the 17 and 18 models to my knowledge have the same design.

13. Khaleal thread starter macrumors member

Rene Ritchie defended Apple and said that they should NOT recall the keyboards, you can see for yourself:

Only 2 weeks before apple announced the replacement program, he started whining about his keyboard (likely he knew at that point - from his own sources - that a replacement program will be announced and he wanted to save face).

14. SDColorado, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019

SDColorado macrumors 68040

SDColorado

The question he is answering is on the Air. But then he delivered a sprawling answer across models and years that really says nothing more than they haven’t gathered enough data yet to know what the failure rate will be. Even the 15 machines he talks about, he doesn’t specifically say are 2018’s other than his own.

He claims “we have the same data on the MacBook Air.” Meaning what? Comparing the reliability of the previous version vs a 2018 model released in October? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Prediction:
    YES, the 2018 MBP's may eventually be included in the extended warranty program for failed keyboards...

16. zmon macrumors regular

zmon

Maybe. My first 2018 had issues with the 'i' key occasionally registering twice when pressed, and Apple ended up giving me a new laptop instead of repairing the original. Now the new one is doing the same exact thing with the same exact key (again, 'i'). This time Apple wants to repair the laptop instead of giving me another new one since they have parts now I guess.

17. Conutz macrumors regular

Conutz

Time will tell, but I hope the 2018 is better - I have one!