Do you think the MacBook Pro's need a design update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hornzog, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Hornzog, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011

Hornzog macrumors member

I'm not saying they don't look great as they do now, but whether it be something subtle or a complete revision, do you think they need updating aesthetically?

I personally would like to see more of a 'wedge shape', something that would differentiate the new models between those of the last 2 years.

After all, the MacBook Airs ''are the future of MacBooks''

Right..?:rolleyes:

2. langis.elbasunu macrumors regular

langis.elbasunu

there only a few things that get to me:

sometimes i think the edge is a little sharp on my wrist

sometimes i think the mic to the left above the keyboard is a dirt spot

pull the optical drive and the ethernet port

3. Todzilla macrumors newbie

I understand taking the optical drive out. A $20 dvd drive is all one would need if they really had to have a drive.

But I would never, ever suggest getting rid of ethernet. Especially if one is using the item in an IT environment.

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I like the ergos currently...doesn't mean they can't be improved but even if the physical dimensions and design didn't change but the internals did, I wouldn't have any complaints. I just hope they stay with the 'unibody' idea as the durability enhancement by using metal and a single piece of metal at that is what makes the MBP stand out for me. Laptops need to be portable, but they also need to be durable for users like me, and the durability of the MBP is partially why I don't mind the price. The Sony Vaio Z is also a nice aluminum (or magnesium) framed computer, but they START at 2g's and you can drop over 5 into them easily.

5. troop231 macrumors 603

IMO, 75% of the ethernet port is a waste of space! You have the 8 pins on the bottom, and the rest of the space is just for the plastic ethernet connector. Apple could supply their own ethernet adapter. No need to ditch ethernet, just get rid of the wasted space in the jack ;)

6. velocityg4, Jan 21, 2011

velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I would say make it a choice between the optical drive or a bay adapter that can handle up to two SATA 6.0Gbps hard drives/SSD's.

As for the Ethernet that is a must in many offices, hotels &c. A USB dongle is cumbersome and I never found USB network adapters to be particularly fast nor reliable.

The last thing we need is another proprietary connector. Requiring buying an overpriced cable to use it rather than the cheap cables we have now. Not to mention being limited on cable lengths rather than making your own and having to carry it with you. Most houses or businesses you can find at least one Ethernet cable lying around. A spare that came with some router, modem, computer &c.

7. vant macrumors 65816

Pull the Ethernet off, give a USB or light peak to Ethernet adapter on an as need basis.

Done.

8. langis.elbasunu macrumors regular

langis.elbasunu

the only reason i would pull it is because it is currently a weak point in the unibody design. thats my only reason. its also my least thought out design change :)

9. Todzilla macrumors newbie

Then I'm sure if anyone can figure out a way to make it better, it's Apple's design team.

Troops321 hit the nail on the head with his suggestion.

As for Unibody itself, no, I would not even consider a change. I love how it feels.

10. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Absolutely not. I use my MBP for work, and I have to work in buildings without wifi, where all of the network/Internet access is done via ethernet. No thanks.

11. 8000rpm macrumors regular

I couldn't agree more the Ethernet port IS the weakest point as I would know. I bumped my pro lightly inside a booq bag with a speck case on it and it bent the top lid ever so slightly and caused a stress line in the paint/finish. Again one of the reasons why I sold it as small as it may be. I would remove the Ethernet or just Put it where there is room to the sides or even on the back. Do away with the optical or at least have an on board ssm (solid state memory directly on board like Mac air) an a separate ssd for apps and programs. External drives are SOcheap and actually look cool.

12. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

13. hfletcher macrumors 6502

hfletcher

Remove the Ethernet port?? Are you joking?
    OK, it's a clumsy sized port. But it's so essential in many many places where Wi-fi just doesn't exist/isn't feasible. Some people may never user ethernet with a laptop, whereas work users will almost always use it.

And using a USB connector would be clumsy to say the least, and more expensive i'd imagine (for apple, that is if they gave them out with it)

As for other things, I definitely agree that the sharp edges need to be redesigned.

14. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Take out ethernet port on 13 inch model and let 15 and 17 inch have them. Also take out optical drive on 13 inch. It is not necessary for 13 inch model. Use that room for bigger battery, ssd and dedicated graphic card.

15. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

In this day and age, you only need on-board ethernet if you are a server or if you are on a fiber backbone OC connection where Wireless-n speeds are not fast enough. I have a Mac Pro and I never even use the Ethernet (I have two ports). I use an Airport Express Base station for my whole house. WiFi will get you more connectivity anywhere and very few places use wired connections anymore. Ethernet was a nice thing to have in the 1990s, before WiFi existed, because you could transfer files over your network at 10baseT speeds, which was a way to share files between computers, and connect to the internet much faster than 56k. But who really has Ethernet now that doesn't have access to some sort of Wireless station, they are very cheap now. I don't think Ethernet is really a necessity, but Apple may still keep it on their Pro models just to be "Pro."

16. alexandero macrumors regular

Very wrong. I use my MBP in a work environment that does not permit wireless due to security issues. And that won't change any time soon. Unfortunately, I have to admit. :)

17. troop231 macrumors 603

The physical size of ports is what is keeping laptops from becoming thinner, but obviously when will we hit a point where we can't make something any thinner due to the structural integrity of the machine being compromised, for example: a paper thin laptop lid and a paperthin chassis. Obivously we are a long ways away from cpus and components being shrunk that thin.

18. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Err.. No.

19. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

20. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

1. One thing that really needs to change but does not require a redesign is data output. Firewire is BS and really exotic and still FW800 is too slow. They should put in an eSATA Combo Port and Lightpeak and USB3 too. That can all go in one port. The benefit would be fast storage for everybody. Why eSATA because it is simple/fast and cheap. You don't even need a case just give the drive some power and backup whatever you want on some old naked harddrive instead of throwing it away. Really nice to make use of old 3,5" drives.
    Buying FW/Lightpeak or USB3 capable HDD cases is really not worth it for these old drives and eSATA doesn't need any extra space.

2. The edge is sometimes annoying. It should be rounded and the screenlid bent. That way it would still look good when closed but it would be much better ergonomics.

3. When looking at a bunch of new displays out in the wild it seems that technology allows today to cut quite a bit of the screen lids thickness. It should go and stay gone or they make the base unit thicker and put in more battery in the 15". I'd prefer the latter but the former is more likely and still an improvement.

But all these do not truly require any sort of redesign. I do believe a redesign is likely because UNFORTUNATELY everything is going 16:9 and the MBPs will follow. And 16:9 will be the true reason why Apple will do a redesign. Even though I would really like them stick to 16:10 as it is much better for the portability/usability balance.
    In 16:9 you need a 16,4" to rival the real estate of a 15" 16:10. Yet the 15" fits just perfectly in my shoulder bag and bigger doesn't. Thus I would have to switch to a much smaller notebook like a 14" and that would offer as much productivity as a current 13" MBP.

21. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Ethernet is clumsy but on the "pro" line I think its needed. Think of all the hardcore network "pro's" that would be pissed. I know when I need to do work on a network for whatever reason I use ethernet because most of the time I'm disabling wifi and messing with router settings or I need a reliable, fast stable connection. The MBP supports 1GB/s ethernet....Wireless N isn't even close. Actual ports for networking aren't needed on portable devices like phones, ipods whatever but on a computer that is supposed to be marketed as powerful its needed. The MBA is fine, its not marketed for power the MBP is so it needs to show that it can handle real stuff without slowing down. Everyone seams to want to turn the MacBook pro into the MacBook air....Yes I want a thinner MacBook Pro but just leave the two categories alone, its not going to be narrowed down to one like some reality show. I don't think you should compare the two.

22. mark28, Jan 21, 2011

mark28 macrumors 68000

You mean also non-replaceable Apple Ram too? :eek:

I think we won't see the wedge shape style. What we will see is Flash + HDD. The optical drive might stay, because Flash memory doesn't take much space, which was the reason Apple decided to use them for the MBA.

If Apple goes all Flash and removes HDD completely, then we could see the wedge design.

23. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

And if you do need it once in a while, why not get one of Apple's MBA USB-to-Ethernet adaptors?

24. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yeaaa, my Al MBP from 2006 is starting to look dated, but at least it's not as ugly as the UB-MBP's... Maybe Apple should consider making a MBP without that hideous black on it.

25. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Opinion much?:rolleyes: