Do you think the MBA will be refreshed during WWDC?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by astrofaes, Jun 6, 2011.

1. astrofaes macrumors member

As much as I would love for this to happen, I think Apple will not want to detract from iOS5, iCloud and Lion. I think we may have to wait a few weeks longer for the update.

What do you guys think, and why?

2. TC25 macrumors 68020

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's possible that it will get a silent update, Apple has done that before, but I doubt it will be mentioned in the keynote. The keynote is going to be pretty much completely software centered, the only way I see hardware being introduced would be if Apple has some integration with iCloud that they want to demonstrate like some sort of update to the time capsule. I don't see any major hardware updates though.

4. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

My guess is no update until September, at least.

5. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

For the last 2 years, most hardware updates have been silent updates. The MBA got a keynote last Fall, it's not getting another keynote spot this time.

I'm thinking silent update in the next few weeks if not this week.

6. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

No kidding, I'm getting sick of all the crazy questions.
    "Do you think the Time Machine app in Lion will open up a worm whole and actually allow you to go back in time? I'd really like to see my old cat Fluffy again."
    Disclaimer: this is not a ball busting of the OP, just all the questions in general. :)

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This must have been over 5 years ago, but there has been an instance where SJ did the main keynote on the first day, and they later released an update to one of their computer lines on Day 3 or so.

It may have been at MW San Fran, MW Paris (when Apple still attended), or WWDC. I really don't remember at all.

They could do something like that again, since an updated MBA isn't exactly big news. I really don't expect anything except Sandy Bridge + a single USB3 port + Thunderbolt, or perhaps SB + Thunderbolt, and that's all.

8. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

i doubt it will be apple has their hands full with the line up already

9. Kafka macrumors 6502

Nah, they have the Mac mini and the white MB to update, lion to release, the iCloud thing, and we all know they won't do everything at once.

10. vistokid macrumors 6502

Really? I would assume they'd want to refresh well before the new school year begins. I was thinking mid June/early July.

Who really knows though.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They have their annual Back-to-School promo now, and it's just a great way to sell a bunch of old stock. I didn't remember that before, but it does make sense. They're already offering a free iPod (of some sort) with every computer purchase. They're not going to update their product line just to give you their newest products as well! ;)

Apple has a history of not updating products just before the Back-to-School promo. They've updated iPods just before the promo began (e.g. the iPod 4G in ~2005), but I don't recall laptops being updated in July-August, or Nov-Dec (before the holiday season). When they update, it's usually after the Back-to-School promo in September, in January-February (after the Christmas holidays), and also around May (around WWDC).

12. palpatine macrumors 68040

Makes sense. I would say October seems the most likely, but surely before the end of the year, because by then the MBA will be surrounded by a bevy of far-superior (in terms of hardware) PCs.

I would love to see an update today, especially now that Asus has released a strong competitor. Unfortunately, the MBA must be looking really unpalatable to students who are agnostic about their operating systems.

13. vistokid macrumors 6502

You bring up some really solid points. I hope you're wrong though :)

14. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

It would be good to see a new air. Hopefully with Lion. That would be excellent.

15. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Hopefully it's within the next 3 Tuesday's ... if SB runs quiet and cool and graphics don't take a big hit I've got my money ready :)

16. aptar macrumors newbie

It's probably been mentioned before, but it's interesting they used the MBA as the flagship computer on http://www.apple.com/macosx/lion/ and not the newly refreshed MBP. I guess MBA is sexier...but you could read something into it.

17. karlth macrumors regular

It would be logical to upgrade the Air simply because all the major PC notebooks have already moved there.

18. nebulos, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

nebulos macrumors 6502a

nebulos

This has been proposed and debunked before; Simply check the MR buyer's guide for previous release dates, not to mention the iMacs were just updated.

Bogus info kills kittens.

19. Krovem macrumors 6502

Krovem

I hope it will be but I dont think so. But they were using mba in their pics haha. Dont know if that means anything.

20. bwphoto macrumors member

Nope! Oh well, gives me a little more time to save up...

21. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I was hoping that MBAs may have just gotten squeezed in on the "One More Thing", but alas. I'll keep waiting for a month or two...

22. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

Last year they updated the Mac Mini around WWDC time.

23. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm thinking probably close to Lion release date

24. Click4Dough macrumors newbie

This has to be one of the worst WWDC so far.. Nothing new....

25. endhalf macrumors regular

Well, WWDC is over... And new MBA nowhere to be seen. That means new MBP for me I guess... Such a shame :/