Do you think the MBP refresh will happen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr MM, Apr 30, 2013.

?

Who Think the MBP refresh will happen?

1. All models will be updated

54.3%
  2. Only the 13 MBP

14.3%
  3. Only the 15 MBP

5.7%
  4. I think they will be discontinued

25.7%
  1. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

I was wondering how many of you think the mbp will be refreshed, NOT hope, but THINK it will happen

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think that Apple was hoping that they could discontinue the non-retina models by this point.

They very clearly referred to the retina models simply as the "Next-Generation Macbook Pro" when they were announced.

However, they're also going to read the sales numbers and the supply availability.

If the sales are still very strong for the non-retina models, then I don't think they will axe them yet. Especially since it seems like availability of good quality retina screens is still a bottleneck.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

the 13"MBP non-retina is still a big seller, so I can't see them dropping it yet unless they price a retina the same, which would be unlikely. also aren't they still having yield issues with the retina screens?

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

MBP's will stay (at least one more cycle) complete with optical drive. Guaranteed. That said, a refresh alongside the rMBP's is imminent.

I have spoken...err, written.

5. bbishop93 macrumors regular

6. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Macbook Pros are still selling to well to get rid of the non retinas. The price point is good. Retina is still too high to drop cmbp

7. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I would not be upset seeing the cMBP's being discontinued.

8. Mr MM thread starter macrumors 65816

Mr MM

Im in the camp of not believing it makes sense to keep the mbp line at all

In the past iterations of new designs you would pay a premium, when there would still be 2 line ups, for the new design. However on the next year that premium was gone and the old line was gone as well.

They can actually drop the price of the rmbp, put them on the same place where all of the mbp line is, its very simple, they have a higher margin than on

Not to mention I was talking to a reseller, the rmbp line is more interesting for apple, people usually pay for the upgrades. Not that you would need it usually, for example a gamer wouldnt need 16gb, but they still get it.

uMBP is doomed for me

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The problem with that is that it would greatly increase the demand for the retina models. That's all well and good as long as they can get enough good quality screens to meet that demand, but that may not be the case yet.

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

That's not much of an insight. Of course people are going to buy the Apple upgrades - since the rmbp's are touted as non-user upgradable. The RAM is actually soldered to the board.

11. Mr MM thread starter macrumors 65816

Mr MM

We only heard of screen yeld issues from 1 source, unless apple is changing the supplier I hardly believe thats possible

there are several ways to rebut this, but yes people are aware that everything is soldered, thus they buy upgrades. Upgrades have a higher margin of profits.

in the end is how the user still fills that having large amounts of ram is the main bottleneck not the HDD

this is different for several professionals, for office workers, 8gb is more than enough, for graphics professional this 16gb may not be enough, for IT professionals it will depend on what s/he does

storage is inexorably moving to the cloud, this is going to be slow and so forth, in the meantime we have lowering prices of SSDs, the m500 960gb for 600? that was 1 unheard of when they launched just a few years ago, from 2009 to know they have actually become more and more affordable

in the end, your possibility of getting more or changing the storage is not something I really care about, if thats the only argument here, I dont see how ultrabooks have been a large success as they have been.