Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think the redesigned 13 inch Macbook Pro will have 128 GB SSD or 256 SSD as standard?

• 128 GB SSD

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • 255 GB SSD

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters

jtsang777

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Since the macbook starts out with 256 GB SSD as standard do you think the new Macbook Pro will also come with 256 GB as standard for the 13 inch.

Reactions: jerryk

GZR

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
I see a 256GB base model as a given, especially after releasing the Macbook with 256GB minimum capacity.
Maybe the current 128GB base model will be kept around for a while as an entry level option.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I can't see that happening, Apple being the company that starts with 16GB iPhones even in 2016. It's just not in their DNA.

Being chintzy on storage is annoying for people whose whole reason for getting a laptop is about data portability. Maybe 128GB is plenty for someone who's connected all the time but how about when you're not. Then suddenly it's about accessories, an external storage drive, maybe even an external optical drive... and then because of ever-vanishing ports, also a bunch of USB adapters. Stuff to lose and remember to pack. What's the point of switching to digital movies if you can't fit more than a couple of them onto your laptop for a long flight and still leave your regular setup in place?

I realize these are first world problems... but... this sort of stuff is what has slowly moved the satisfaction meter needle to "sticking w/ Apple but frustrated" level. I mean do they realize how cheap a 1TB drive is now? Their tone-deaf answer seems likeyl to be "so buy an external one".

Reactions: d0nK

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
128gb. Why? Because Apple likes to make a "cheap" (by Apple standards) entry level model. But to have anything long-standing or non-constraining, like the processor, ram, or ssd, you've got to buy the mid level model. There is a large jump in price from bare bones entry level to the mid level that people actually want to buy. It's the way they do things. Happy to leave them and would if I could but no windows laptops have a good trackpad. It's as simple as that.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
128GB, as mentioned, Apple still offers the 16GB iPhone so they keep the lower sized model available.

Not for nothing, but other makers are still offering their products with the 128GB SSD. I've been looking at the SurfaceBook and its base model also contains a 128GB SSD. To be honest as I think about it, for a secondary machine or a machine that only needs to run office apps and what not, 128GB is more then enough.

Its only when you add a large music library, or want to video editing or run Lightroom, etc, etc, will you find the 128GB of storage inadequate.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I, too, would like to see 256gb as "the minimum".

But Apple ain't like that -- instead, they like offer a basic configuration and then gouge you for more $$$$ if you want upgrades.

That's why we have seen pitifully-low-end configurations.
Because they know that we can be squeezed for upgrade $$$$.

These days, I would consider 8gb of RAM and 256gb SSD storage to be "the bottom line" for every Mac.
Will we see it?

Reactions: Freyqq

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I sure hope they start at 256GB. With the Macbook starting there, it is hard to call a system a "PRO" with only 128 GB.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
I have a feeling they will move to 256GB baseline storage for the MacBook Pro. The current MacBook starts at 256 also. I do find it odd that your storage is halved when moving up to the 'Pro' line at this point...

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I voted 256 GB but knowing Apple these days there's a good chance I'll be proven wrong. Looking back at when I purchased my late 2013 I'm extremely glad I didn't go with the base model 4 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Being chintzy on storage is annoying for people whose whole reason for getting a laptop is about data portability. Maybe 128GB is plenty for someone who's connected all the time but how about when you're not. Then suddenly it's about accessories, an external storage drive, maybe even an external optical drive... and then because of ever-vanishing ports, also a bunch of USB adapters. Stuff to lose and remember to pack. What's the point of switching to digital movies if you can't fit more than a couple of them onto your laptop for a long flight and still leave your regular setup in place?

I realize these are first world problems... but... this sort of stuff is what has slowly moved the satisfaction meter needle to "sticking w/ Apple but frustrated" level. I mean do they realize how cheap a 1TB drive is now? Their tone-deaf answer seems likeyl to be "so buy an external one".

Well you can buy them configured with up to 1Tb of SSD what's your problem?? 4 lane PCIe connected ssd's are still very expensive. Not as much as Apple charge of course but you can't buy a laptop with one in from anyone else for much less than Apple charge.

If you want to buy a laptop made on the cheap Apple aren't for you. If you want legacy tech poorly crammed into a modern form factor Apple aren't for you. It's that simple. You may not like the direction that Apple have taken but that's your problem and the answer is simple buy something else.

Reactions: Patcell

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Well you can buy them configured with up to 1Tb of SSD what's your problem?? 4 lane PCIe connected ssd's are still very expensive. Not as much as Apple charge of course but you can't buy a laptop with one in from anyone else for much less than Apple charge.

If you want to buy a laptop made on the cheap Apple aren't for you. If you want legacy tech poorly crammed into a modern form factor Apple aren't for you. It's that simple. You may not like the direction that Apple have taken but that's your problem and the answer is simple buy something else.

:D It's possibly irrational that I've long argued it's no big deal Apple still having a low base storage for iPhones (in the face of people enraged that "less is still Apple's more" on those devices). And yet when it comes to SSD in laptops I have somehow come to expect that any cycle now 256GB will be the base option. Probably a factor of how I personally use the two different types of device. Meanwhile you're right regarding my options and I do configure up since the answer for me is still Apple.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Less local storage = bumping up your cloud storage. Potentially more money in Apple's pocket if you go iCloud drive route. Why would they increase the base storage again?

Reactions: d0nK

danckwerts

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Richmond upon Thames
I have a MacBook Air with 128GB and at one point I had the whole Adobe CC suite, Parallels with Windows 8 and a very large range of other software installed. It's amazing how much one can stuff into 128GB but, with SSDs being relatively cheap these days, there is not much excuse for anything less than 256.

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
The fusion drive could have been the standard config all these years but they decided to remove the data drive part and just keep the SSD part. Just keeping the SSD part would be fine and good if they made them larger to reflect lowering SSD market prices. But no. Every year is a lesson in profit creation and disappointment with a middle finger to the customer.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.