Do you think the new iMacs will have a HDMI out?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bobright, Oct 18, 2012.

1. bobright macrumors 601

If not what are my options at hooking up my iMac to my LED set?

Does it look good quality wise?

2. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

You can get a MiniDP-to-HDMI adapter and plug it into one of the Thunderbolt ports.

3. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

No, they'll have thunderbolt, and apple will sell you an adapter.

4. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

They already do.

5. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

HDMI on RMBP and Mac mini, it might have a HDMI in the the new iMac possibility.

6. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Yup.

I very much doubt this will change.

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Laptops are often used for giving presentations, or in meetings.

Mac Minis are designed for use with external monitors and are often used as the basis for a home theatre.

They could add an HDMI port, but the need isn't as pressing.

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

The problem with HDMI TV's is that they have fairly low resolution compared to a computer monitor. The 27" iMacs are 2560X1440 which is almost double of a 1080P television monitor. IMHO... they do not look very good for computer work. They look fine for watching a movie.

/Jim

9. Abby21 macrumors member

Hmm, I really want a HDMI out in the new iMac, as I have already got some adapters, an adapter for iPad, an adapter for iMac...:eek:

10. joelk2 macrumors regular

no. apart from the thunderbolt route.

the imac is basically a standalone product. the hdmi products apple currently have are made to be plugged into something else, mac mini, atv.

11. garrize macrumors regular

garrize

12. JudasBlitzkrieg macrumors member

Now you're talking. With one of them the wife could finally get her way and have me, my mac, my guitars AND the Xbox/PS3 out of the living room and up in the spare room.

13. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Head over to Amazon or Monoprice (or Google) and search Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter. Works flawlessly.

Alternatively, invest in an Apple TV. Wireless mirroring is pretty awesome for watching movies and shows on Hulu/CBS/etc (assuming you have a good wireless network setup). I usually just mirror my MBA when I want to watch something, or mirror my iMac if I want to actually use my MBA for work whilst the "TV" is on.

14. angus99 macrumors newbie

HDMI IN is one of the reasons I ended up buying a Dell 27” XPS One instead of waiting for the new IMac. The wife’s reluctance to use Mac OSX and the current £300 discount also contributed. It’s also very easy to get access to for installing an SSD etc.

Got the machine yesterday and so far pretty happy with it apart from the obvious issue of going back to windows, although to be honest its not as bad as I expected. With £300 discount I think its pretty good value (Note, The touch screen version is coming out for windows 8 and will be £400 more expensive)

The HDMI IN has allowed me to remove the TV in the study and connect my SKY HD box and PS3 directly to the display. The built in TV Tuner is also handy for watching TV while using the PC (pity there is no picture in Picture mode from the HDMI in though).

However if Apple were to announce a new IMac with HDMI IN on Tuesday, I’ll return the Dell within the 7 day cool off period and get the new Mac. Unfortunately I think this is very unlikely.

15. Huginnmuninn macrumors regular

Huginnmuninn

Strange reasoning. Apple has sold MiniDisplayport-to-HDMI adapters since 2009, and you can get them for as little as US $7 at monoprice.

16. angus99 macrumors newbie

Don't see how that helps display HDMI sources (xbox, PS3 etc.) on the Imac screen. What would be required is an HDMI to Thunderbolt adaptor that would work in 'target dispaly mode'. There a number of threads on this and as far as i'm aware no straight forward solution.

A better solution would be to provide an HDMI input so that we can fully utilise the excellent 27" display, as you can with the Dell.

17. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

The 2010s and earlier supported HDMI-In (target display mode) via MiniDP-to-HDMI adapter, IIRC. It wasn't until the transition to thunderbolt that it no longer worked. But to be honest, it's surely a firmware thing that Apple could probably enable in an update... but :(

18. Huginnmuninn macrumors regular

Huginnmuninn

19. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Kyle is correct, though with caveats. Adaptors, such as the Kanex XD which dynamically converted from HDMI sources to the MDP-in worked until the thunderbolt overhaul. Straight-up cables/adaptors never worked.

20. Huginnmuninn macrumors regular

Huginnmuninn

I'm surprised then. Too bad if true.

Got a link?

21. skyenet macrumors regular

skyenet

Apple TV and Mountain Lion Airplay Mirroring.