Do you think the new MBP's will be thinner and/or lighter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Feb 2, 2010.

?

Do you think the new MBP's will be thinner and/or lighter?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    20.3%
  2. No

63 vote(s)
    79.7%
  1. Dekimasu macrumors regular

No. The demand is for better specs, and they would have to be sacrificed in order for the MBP to get thinner and lighter (see MBA).

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I believe that for the current technology, the MacBook Pro is at the sweet spot for weight/thickness and performance. If they were to make it thinner or lighter, performance would be sacrificed. While I loved my MacBook Air, I do love the performance of my MacBook Pro despite the added weight and thickness.

3. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I think its thin and lightweight now only...its half the weight and thickness of my other HP laptop that was bought after the MBP!

I think its a pretty sweet machine and if they want to make it thinner they'll have to compromise on the performance, which will destroy the whole point of MBP...

as for people who want thin and light laptops, they could buy MBA...

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

While I cant wait for the day when the Mbp's are "paper thin," I think it will be the same size with the i5's. Possibly even thicker.

My brother has a Sager with the i7 chipset and this thing needs dedicated fans because it runs pretty hot... And its already a thick notebook!

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

The unibody design is fairly new. Look at how long the powerbook G4 design lasted (Began in Jan '03), even into the first few macbook pros (Oct. '08). This size and weight are here to stay for a few years.

There's a physical limit to how thin you can make one with the components that must fit inside.

6. theblueone macrumors member

If they can get it smaller and lighter, I don't doubt that they will. My non-engineer/non-designer's mind can't think of anything that could be nixed with the upcoming model, but I've been surprised before.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes in the nearish future. I would bet they'll get rid of the optical drive once it's a little more practical to do so than it would be at present. Hard drives/SSDs can and will be made smaller than they are currently, and batteries/power usage will continue to get more efficient.

So, yeah, smaller and lighter will probably continue to be inevitable, but, of course, we'll only know for sure that it's coming when it's officially announced.

7. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

geez they are only an inch thick lol, with premium specs and an optical drive they aren't going to get any thinner, at least until optical drives are obsolete

8. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

No. Apple is operating on a system similar to Intel's Tick-Tock strategy (look it up if you aren't sure what this means).

That said, they change the internals components radically (which is coming up; New CPU line, New GPU line, ect.), and then a year or two later, the chassis and design will change. This has been the case with the MBP line, at least.

We will see (hopefully) Core i3/5/7 in the MBP line with new GPU's, but I would be shocked if the chassis changed in any (radical) way.

9. gothamm macrumors 6502a

i really hope they do not make it any thinner. It would mean even more limited components to put inside the chasis.

I mean, things like the graphics card is already underwhelming. Making it thinner would make it even more so.

10. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

11. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

The only way they could do that is by removing the optical drive, making the battery smaller, and switching to a 1.8in HDD... which they already do in the the MBA.

12. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I'm willing to bet that this round of updates to the MacBook Pro are just going to be improved processors. The unibody is barely a year old and it's a kick-ass design. I think they'll get a nice little spec bump, but that's about it.

13. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

It's called the Macbook Air.

The overall minimum size of a notebook is dictated by various internal components - namely, things like the hard disk (standard 2.5" drive height), battery, and optical drive. Unless we see a radical change in the design, or the omission of certain components/features, I doubt the Pro line will get much smaller/thinner.

Quite frankly, I don't understand the consumer obsession with the never-ending shrinkage of electronics. At some point there's a tradeoff between performance/expansion and progressively smaller size that's no longer acceptable for a given product's role and target market.

14. robfromabove macrumors regular

I hope they keep the optical drive intact - I still burn data disks and "backup" DVD's from time to time!