Do you think the new trackpad was built with pencil support in mind?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Westbrook0, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Westbrook0 macrumors member

I don't see what other reason there could be for increasing the size by what is it, 40%? Do you guys think driver support is built in to the OS?

2. powertoold macrumors 6502

No, there's no user experience that would be enhanced by allowing the pencil on the trackpad, unless they put a screen on the trackpad.

3. Westbrook0 thread starter macrumors member

Weren't the rumors suggesting it would work like a Wacom stylus?

4. dk808 macrumors 6502a

Not sure, but if it did then they probably would've mentioned that it would be coming eventually at the event. Sadly i think they just made it big for no reason

5. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Two methods.

1. Intuos Method

Very easy to use as a mouse and not a drawing tablet. It's often used by people with CPT.

2. Samsung Method

Doesn't have to touch the pad but it registers movement.

3. Not a method

Mouse acceleration was always difficult to polish during development. Apple does a good job of that, but it would make sense to increase surface area than to write an algorithm to behave the way the end-user wants it to behave.

6. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

i love this idea !

could be a cheap-n-cheerful wacom stand-in for those of us who like to draw for funsies but are not legit illustrators by trade

7. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Cheap and cheerful... Looks at full specced costs of 15".

:eek:

8. powertoold macrumors 6502

I think Wacoms have hover functionality, so if the pen is near the pad, then you can see it on screen like using a trackpad with your finger. That way, when the pen touches the pad, you'd know where you're writing.

9. jeremiah256 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah256

You haven't experienced the joy of being provided a crappy copy of a form, taking a picture of it using your smartphone and an app (the free Microsoft Office Lens for example), downloading it to your iPad Pro and then filling it out with the pencil to email or (even fax) back to the business or agency that is stuck in the 20th century.

10. Time Less macrumors 6502

Time Less

I think and hope so. Maybe it'll be included in the next version of MacBooks or macOS along with Pencil 2. I believe the pressure circuit is in the Pencil and not the display so it may be possible.

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Maybe simple stuff like signing your name in a word document (I have an image file of my signature in Dropbox for this very purpose), and making quick annotations here and there.

Probably not worth getting an Apple Pencil over, but a nice addition for those who already have one.

12. Rkuda macrumors regular

Rkuda

Actually Preview allows you to either scan in a handwritten signature using the camera, or write your name on the trackpad with your fingers already. Unfortunately I don't see support for the Apple Pencil being unlocked in the future for the new trackpad.

13. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Never knew about the scanning of a handwritten signature. I am aware that I can sign directly on the trackpad, but they always turn out like chicken scratching.

I won't pretend to know precisely what sort of hardware support is needed to enable this feature, and if it is already present in the current MacBook trackpads. Just thought it would be a cool "why not" feature, and I believe Apple does have a patent for that lying around somewhere.