Do you think the next MBA update will put the styling in line with current lineup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by spaceballl, Jan 18, 2009.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'm curious - do you think that Apple will use the next update to make the monitor flush with the black bezel like current models and give it the buttonless trackpad?

2. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I imagine they will, considering they are unifying their Mac line. Just load up the Mac page on their website, the Air sticks out like a sore thumb. They probably didn't because they needed the parts for the other Laptops first.

I will upgrade mine if they make these changes, plus they need to add built in 3g.

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Haha doing that is what inspired the post :D
    I'd be satisfied with an official tethering plan for iPhone instead of built-in 3G....

4. macbook123 macrumors 68000

The glass screen is heavy, so they'd have to do something differently. I certainly hope that the bezel will be less humongous and the screen have higher resolution. The letters on all the current Apple laptops are so blotchy with this poor resolution. So, my hope is for a 14 inch LCD with 1440x900 pixels. I couldn't care less about whether the bezel is black or silver. The most practical laptop in my view would have no bezel at all.

5. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I didn't think about the glass adding weight...good point. If it is significant, they won't be changing it.

As for the iPhone 3g tethering, that is a good as well.

6. justit macrumors 6502a

The base needs to be redesigned if they plan on clocking to a hotter 2.1Ghz, maybe more larger vents and a better fan.

7. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Don't assume it is going to be hotter - will likely be based on Intel's next generation of chips that run cooler (i7 based). Could also be manufactured w/ smaller die size.

8. macbook123 macrumors 68000

15 inch Air I'd buy immediately, assuming though that the bezel is made thinner. It's time to produce real laptops for working people without optical drive and at 4 pounds.

9. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Given that the new 17" matte MBP is like the air with the silver bezel, I would say it's unlikely. Once they can shrink the trackpad enough to squeeze it in the air, I think they will. But the glass adds too much weight, so I don't see that, even ifthey are attempting to unify the line.

10. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I think built in 3G would be great for AT&T's partnership with Apple. I don't know how many more people would buy a MBA because of the service, but I think a lot of MBA users would go ahead and connect the 3G. I would - well I have the AT&T 3G data plan via USB 3G Device. I have an iPhone, and I have been waiting for tethering for a long time now (I would like to save the money $33 vs $70inc tax).

Hey, but I am here for something else. I want the MBA to match the other MB line.

I want:
    Glass Display
    Glass Buttonless Trackpad
    2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (personally I think the "2" makes it sound more powerful)
    4 GB RAM (I really NEED this)
    256 GB SSD (I want more than 128 GB - otherwise it means remote storage)

I will gladly pay $2999 for that MBA 3.0 with these options!

Please Apple, take all of our money and create 3.0!

11. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I am right there with you on those specs for the next version. That would make the MBA worth buying for me.

I think having 3G service and/or tethering would be a great service but I wouldn't use it only because I am never far from a WiFi network and my family owns a total of 5 Airport Expresses. :D

Also re the bezel I would love to see the glass and black combination but I'm not sure it will work with the weight they are trying to maintain.

12. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

apple's already stated that the Glass Buttonless trackpad has too much "tech" underneath it, so it will not fit in the air (the air is thinnest under it's trackpad). Maybe if Apple can somehow slim down that tech, we'll see a Glass Trackpad, but there's also a weight issue to think about - the regular plastic trackpad weighs less, I can only assume.

And no glass for the screen, that would definitely weigh more than the current plastic screen.

13. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

They could put a glasspad in a new MBA if they made it only tap to click. I actually hate clicking on my MB glasspad and just use tap to click instead. Would definitely save some space.

14. rhyx macrumors 6502

I don't see the glass coming to the Air. It would add too much weight.

15. iMacmatician macrumors 601

The upcoming CPUs are likely to go up to 2.13 GHz at 17 W.

Nehalem won't come to these CPUs until 2010, and 32 nm is coming who knows when.

Completely agreed.

Tap to click has never worked for me.

16. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

How much weight would it add exactly?

17. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yeah i hate tap to click...

18. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    geeze I hope so. I purchased my Teacher Daughter a 15" MBP for Christmas, and yesterday I finally got 45 minutes with it. I am smitten with the track pad as much as I am with the MBA. Now combine them both and I will be in heaven:eek:
    Now in answer to you're next question, No I won't adopt you,:p and buy you a MBP too:rolleyes:;):D

19. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

oh nooooooooooooooooooooooo, LOVE it:)

20. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

all things being equal,trackpad vs trackpad, with the addition of the glass only,
    maybe an oz???,or less:confused

:apple's already stated that the Glass Buttonless trackpad has too much "tech" underneath it
    yeah could be

21. rhyx macrumors 6502

That glass piece adds a lot more than an ounce. Probably 4oz or so.

22. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I don't know about that. I know the glass is super thin. I read here that the actual lid including the glass and display is actually lighter now than was before. Maybe the glass is a lot heavier or maybe it's really lighter than you think. Would like to know the weight. Any specs on that?

23. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

The glass is too heavy but the styling direction isn't out of the question for the next MBA. The black bezel borderless look can be easily replicated in polycarbonate for the air to keep things light, and the glass trackpad doesn't have to necessarily be the same as the other ones but it can come play nice too. The rest of the styling and functionality is in line already. Will they change the styling? I doubt it, the changes would be fairly minimal and without any real newness the MBA won't be the game changer it was again.