iPad Pro Do you think the Pro 2 can have 3D touch and Pencil support?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Phonzoxd, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502

Is it possible, do you think? Can the 2 technology work together within one device?

This is just an assumption but I think not. Which is why I believe the Air 3 gets 3D touch, while the Pro 2 continues to get Pencil support.

2. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Of course...what reason wouldn't they? It's just for money reason.

3. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I would say 3D .. Gen2 touch ID is almost a given on iPad pro 2

4. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Sure it is seems possible, but the iPhone became thicker because of 3D Touch. It also needs to add a haptic feedback engine which the iPad doesn't have at all. The pro has a new display controller, variable refresh rate, along with a higher resolution touch layer. Combining them all isn't a trivial task.

5. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Maybe? I could imagine 3D Touch just being on iPhone for awhile....but maybe. If they can make it so it doesn't add to much weight and thickness. I don't know man. I barely ever use 3D Touch on my iPhone so I don't really even care if they bring it to the iPad line. After using it on my iPhone since launch, I've never come to my iPad and said "man. I wish this thing had 3D Touch".

6. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

I agree...they could have put all of those in ipad pro...maybe little thicker...just little...but you know how apple is...profit..money, which they have more than enough.

7. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

I don't think the two technologies are incompatible. I do wonder if 3D Touch is difficult to scale beyond trackpad/iPhone size, however. How do you make the haptic feedback consistent throughout a 13" display? I imagine that's the bigger engineering challenge. But if it already works with capcative displays I don't see why the Pencil digitzer would be a problem.

8. Kaizen macrumors member

I just can't see this working out well. Imagine pressing hard enough to activate 3D Touch while your iPad is attached to a Smart Cover or smart keyboard. Wouldn't it just topple over?

9. chris459 macrumors member

I think the 3D Touch technology was developed for devices with smaller screens. IMO the most useful feature of 3D Touch is the cursor mode. Yet you're still able to use this feature on the iPad with simply using 2 fingers. I actually do not miss it on my IPP I have yet to try and even use it by mistake.

10. chris459 macrumors member

It will not topple over when docked on a Smart Keboard in the "Laptop Position" it's surprisingly sturdy.

11. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Of course

They need to get people to buy these ipads.

12. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

13. mdridwan47 macrumors 6502

mdridwan47

3D Touch is not just a gimmick. It's the 2nd generation of touch input and Apple will ship it with every new iOS device they make. It will bring new kinds of inputs for Gaming, Apps and general interactions to our iOS devices. Also Live photos works best with 3D touch. They essentially "invented" live photos to show off 3D touch.

14. Branskins macrumors 65816

Why are we all assuming it's so easy to add 3D Touch to such a large screen that also includes technology for the pencil?

15. fanta88 macrumors 6502

I must be one of the few who doesn't care much about 3D touch. Partly this is because the 3D touch actions are baked in and not user defined. For example, in the music app, why can't I remove the "Play Beats 1" option (which I never use) for something else? Not to mention I think using it on the iPP would be even more cumbersome while holding it. And I think having the device weigh more because of the 3D touch panel would be unacceptable to me.