Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The rMB seems like it will be the perfect device for me by version 3 or so. The only problem is that after using my rMBP with 512GB of storage, I decided not to get a Mac without 1TB of storage. The MacBook Air, which this model seems to be the progression of, never got 1TB.

Do you think 1TB will be a MacBook Pro only feature?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Given that it debuted with 512GB, and SSD capacity is growing rapidly while prices fall, I would say yes, probably not this year, maybe late next, if not early 2017. It's the newest laptop in Apple's lineup; it will likely be around for a long time to come.

Reactions: Dayv

Saurus504

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
I think it could but you have to remember you can get 200GB of extra cloud storage for just 3.99. Or a guy like me who has tons of pics in the cloud, i do the 500GB extra cloud storage and that combined with my 256GB on board, I'm fine for whatever I may need for the foreseeable future.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Do you think 1TB will be a MacBook Pro only feature?

Given how quickly SSD is dropping in price, combined with the evolution of technology, yeah of course. I'd say it'll be 4TB+ in 2-3 years. In 2 years we've gone from 64GB as a baseline to 256GB... Unreasonable to expect 1GB to be the base model next year or the year after? Nope. It will happen. Question is how long will Apple drag their heels trying to charge an arm and a leg for the upgrade, as they're notorious for doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.