Do you think there will be a future for the "C" iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewMRiv, Dec 8, 2013.

1. AndrewMRiv macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

I personally love my iPhone 5c. It would have been nice to have the features of the 5s, but I was own over by the design of the 5c.

I noticed that many have preferred the 5s since the 5c had identical specs to the iPhone 5, and that the 5s only cost about $100 (baseline). Also, a lot of production of the 5cs were shortened.

Do you think this will be the last iPhone "c" or will there be more?

2. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Apple is too smart to carry a product that isn't making good money. The C model dies when they re-tool for the 6. One year wonder......there will never be a 6C.

3. macigo macrumors regular

The iPhone makes a lot of money.. it's their single most successful product.

4. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Whatever money they're making with the $99 5C, it's more than they'd have made with a $99 iPhone 5, because its costs are lower (and therefore its margins are greater).

Besides, have you seen the advertising behind the 5C? Apple is establishing a new product, and it will be around for a long time.

5. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I prefer the design of the 5c to the 5 and 5s, so I would hope it would stick around in some way.

6. macigo macrumors regular

The white and blue 5c have been sold out at some retail outlets.

But many retailers are forgetting about the 5c.

7. I7guy macrumors G5

Wonder if Apple is bifurcating the product line. 5, 5s/5c, 6, 6s, 6c...

8. Hustler1337 macrumors 65816

Hustler1337

If they can get the pricing right for the "C" (i.e.lower) in relation to the flagship, then there will be a future for the "C".

At the moment, there is relatively little difference in price between the 2 phones. If someone can afford the 5C, then generally they'll be able to fork out a bit more to get the 5S.

9. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

The 5c is actually doing what it was intended to do. It is outselling last years 4s and it's getting over 50% of it's users from Android. That means it's expanding the Apple ecosystem.

Now I know your a well known basher that doesn't look at all the facts, but honestly after so long even bashers will look like idiots. With all the new articles coming out about the iPhone 5c starting to sale better. . It might be time for you to stop.

The facts are that the iPhone 5c is doing what Apple wanted. The past two weeks sales have been very good for the 5c. I know my area alone has been sold out of white and blue since Black Friday. It's getting a lot of its users from Android. The answer is yes the "C" line is going to continue, but I think it will be on a 2 year cycle.

For instance I think the next iPhone lineup could be:

iPhone 6 $199
    iPhone 5s $99
    iPhone 5c free

Then they will introduce a new C model with the 6S. The 4" iPhone will stay even if they bring out a larger screen. Also I believe that they will redesign the 6 completely. At least I hope they do because I'm not alone when I say the iphone 5/5s design is disappointing.

----------

This is true. I can afford the 5S with no issues. I just don't like the. 5s design. I completely despise it in fact.

The reasons behind choosing the 5c isn't only because it's "cheaper." I prefer the design and feel in hand. Also there is minimal difference in performance between it and the 5s right now. By the time the 5s is fully utilized the iPhone 6 will be out... I'll either decide on buying the 6 or keeping the 5c. It's all according to design

----------

I believe this to be true, but I'll be honest with you ... Trying to get through to that guy is useless. He only comes here to troll/bash the 5c. Also he thinks he's right about everything if he believes it. He will start using "blogs" instead of actual reliable sources to prove a point.

The facts are that the 5c is serving it's purpose well. It has gotten people to switch from Android and it's selling better than the 4s of last year. The "C" line will continue whether he likes it or not.

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Just in case though don't scratch it, treat it like a baby and pretend this is the last of its kind. Just in case. :D

11. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

We are talking about the C......

12. macigo macrumors regular

i was happy to give up my iphone 5 but I don't want to let go of my 5c...

13. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

Well im still holding out for the 6 to look like the C but with added Orange/White, Purple/White, (RED)/White

14. quickcalibre macrumors regular

quickcalibre

Probably not as it is.

I have yet to see one iphone 5c in the wild yet, and this is in Central London.

It's easy to see them adding more colours to the line, but I think it needs to be on price that makes or breaks this product.

15. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Saw a friend yesterday and I updated him on my phone situation told him I'd upgraded to the 5c. Along came a pause and I expected him to laugh (he's an iphone user and was close to his upgrade) he was impressed but only because he chose the white 5c ! I was certain he would show off a 5s but he was really pleased with his phone and couldn't rate it high enough!

This is only the second one I've seen in Cambridge so far. I saw a man with a yellow model.

I see a bright future for the C model. It may just be that not too many are due upgrades. Many people wait for upgrade time and pay as little as possible! The C is ideal at the moment for this type of contract customer :)

16. macigo, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

macigo macrumors regular

Just wait until they bring out the White iPhone 5C. :apple: (White iPhone 5C's)

17. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

18. studIOS5 macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

What's with your hatred towards this device? I've seen you in two different threads now talking crap about the 5c. I just don't get it. I and a lot of people here love the device so if you don't like it, don't buy one... Pretty. Simple.

19. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Very well said. It's the truth. If you don't like the phone then don't like it. You just don't have to go into every thread talking crap about it.

Btw there's nothing "stupid" about it... The 5c has done it's job quite well.

20. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I wonder how it will work with subsequent refreshes.

Say next year, Apple announces the iphone6 with a brand new form factor. Do we assume the 5cs (or whatever it will be called) will still sport the 5c plastic form factor, with the specs of the iPhone 5s, with A7 processor, improved camera and fingerprint sensor? Or will the 5c simply stay as is (maybe with very minor updates) and become the new $1 option?

What happens 2 years later, with the release of the iPhone 6s? Are we going to get a plastic version of that as well? :confused:

21. Irishman macrumors 68030

I was in the market for a new phone. I had an ancient HP iPaq Glisten half of whose buttons were broken (my long-suffering wife had learned to call me to verify what my texts said). I had the white 16GB on my mind, but the AT&T store only had white in 32GB. Since we had been doing schedule tag for a month to try to get one, I decided to see if they had my next choice - blue. They did, and we pulled the trigger last night.

This phone is a first on several levels for me:

1. My first smartphone using a data plan
    2. My first iPhone
    3. My first LTE phone
    4. My first 4" phone

I'm really excited to see what she can do. I will say that I really love the virtual reassurance Apple gives you in this case. By the time we got home, I had an iTunes pop-up on my iMac letting me know that a new device using my apple id had been activated. Smart. It's great from a security standpoint, and it lets me know that the activation went fine.

I like that.

22. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

It's plastic and that was one of the biggest criticisms of phones like the Galaxy line. Plastic is cheap. Unless it's made by apple. Then it special magic plastic that isn't cheap. I hope it goes away.

23. macigo macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure the plastic on Apple phones isn't the same plastic on Android phones.

They're different plastics.

The quality of plastic Apple uses is very rare.

24. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

There will almost definitely be more iPhone 5C's. It simply attracts a different market. In forums like these you are more likely to meet people who love technology and therefore prefer the new and shiny thing, hence more people here would be attracted to the 5S. The 5C is targeted at a different audience. Its meant to be the popular iPhone and will be purchased by people who dont care so much about technology. They enter the Apple store and see these new colourful iPhones, and just pick one up. The 5S is also targeted at many teenagers, who may be getting their first iPhone, Im sure many parents will be attracted by the price points, and their kids by the new colours. According to an article I read somewhere, the 5C is also predominantly popular amongst android switchers.