Do you think there will be an "upgrade" program?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Wiesenlooser, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

I really thought about it. Since the Apple Watch Edition will be quite expensive (I am thinking over 1000$) and they will probably make annually updates it would kind of make sense wouldnt it?

I mean I could not see myself paying 1k for a gold watch that will be obsolete after a year.

But if they made me trade in the watch for an upgrade fee of - lets say- 250$ I would be interested.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. mtmac macrumors regular

The upgrade program will be you can still use the bands you bought for the first edition, until they decide to change the attachment. The gold watches are rumored to come in a high-designed charging case, which would likely also work on the next generation. On future releases, they may just offer a watch face only, to drive costs down. Apple has never had an upgrade path for any other product, and it is highly unlikely they would start now, but just as you can often keep your iPhone accessories, so will be the same with the watches.

The gold watches do not make financial sense, especially in a smart watch that has a very limited life. You'll note it is just gold plating, and I really doubt these plated watches will exceed $1k. They will likely sell as a status symbol, but it will also generate interest in the lower but still overpriced steel and aluminum ones.

I also don't see updates coming out on a regular annual basis. Better battery tech is a few years off yet, so they can't go crazy with all the sensors until they can miniaturize the battery to make room and are able to power the more tech that people want. They've been working on this for years to come up with this chip, and how much smaller can anyone expect it to get in the next year? Look at the Mac Mini. Initially it was a huge decrease in size, yet now nearly ten years later it is only a little smaller. When you're working on such small dimensions, it becomes exponentially harder to further and further reduce it's size. I'm not saying that their goal in the next several updates will be reducing its size, but rather increasing it's functionality which entails reducing the size of the components to make room for more. Sure your iPhone is more powerful than NASAs Apollo computers that resided in rooms, but that has taken fifty years. I would expect a 24-30 month product cycle as it will not dominate computing like smart phones have. Apple likes to make a few products and sell a lot of them.

I can also see Apple and other manufactures starting to use the space now just used by the bands. I think later you may still be able to choose a cladding on your band, but why not utilize all that space for other sensors and batteries rather than just be a strap to hold it in place? It seems like heartbeat, oxygen, and blood pressure sensors could likely be better and smaller if they were located on the opposite side of the face where your veins run. I've never had a nurse put her finger on the watch face side of my wrist.

This will make money for Apple, but until it is a lot more powerful, it won't be the next iPod, iPhone, or iPad. Apple Pay and discrete text reading plus weather and time will be it's primary uses and justify the cost, but won't have the masses waiting in lines for every new update. Your phone and laptop will still be far more beneficial to you.

4. chrispfeiffer21 macrumors newbie

I have to agree with mtmac. My biggest gripe with the Apple Watch is that it isn't actually a watch, it is technology. A watch is something that you can invest in. Currently, I am wearing my great grandfather's watch which I inherited, and it is serving the exact function now as it did on the day it was purchased. It does exactly the same as other (analogue) watches today do which is tell the time :p.

The Apple Watch (and all smart watches) is a tech product which will evolve and as it does, older versions won't be able to serve the same function as their new counterparts.

Thus, I am reluctant to make the investment in it. It will diminish in value as it's functionality is comparatively reduced (assuming the newer versions bring more features to the table). Even though there are tempting features for me primarily in the health and fitness area, there are cheaper products which can do the same.

Just my thoughts on this thread. :) I certainly wouldn't judge anyone for purchasing the Apple Watch Edition.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Apple say "Each has a watch case crafted from 18-carat gold" which suggests it is solid gold and will probably be priced over $1,000.

If there is to be an upgrade program the Edition range will definitely get it, I'm not sure it would be economically viable for the cheaper models though.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's a clever idea, as it makes little sense to pay a lot of $$$ for something that'll become obsolete quickly. Apple can at least refurbish older Edition models with new innards or rebuilt the solid gold cases. Not sure if they'll actually pursue the idea though.