Do you think they would axe the 17" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puma1552, Nov 1, 2010.

?

Do you think Apple will drop the 17" MBP?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. No

72 vote(s)
    90.0%
  1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Think about it--it's the lowest selling portable Mac.

Do you think Apple would do the dastardly and cut it from the line as they cut optical drives and the machines become smaller a la MBA?

2. vant macrumors 65816

3. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

4. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

obviously they wont.

they wont drop any of the MBP's...

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

It's the lowest selling mac because it's the most expensive and the largest, having features that not everyone needs.

6. jmazzamj macrumors regular

Then what? Next move would be selling a portable Mac with no display?

Just kidding, they will never kill the last component of the once-was-Pro family.

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

They should also drop the Mac Pro, since it's the lowest selling desktop.

*Apple Drops Mac Pro*

They should drop the Mac Mini, since it's the lowest selling desktop.

8. applepearpp macrumors regular

different people have different needs, and those with specific needs are usually willing/forced to pay more to have their special needs met.

and 17" have the express card slot, which i think should be around for another generation or two.

9. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

I want the 17"!!! I hope they don't get rid of it..

10. TJones macrumors regular

Why are people so obsessed with cutting successful product lines? IMO they need to add more, especially the consumer level portables or they might price themselves out of the education market.

11. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

And that's just it; Apple is really good at telling us what we supposedly need, and what we don't (Who needs that stupid EC slot? Let's just get rid of it on the 15" machines!).

There's also been a shift over the last 5+ years from pro machines to consumer machines; nothing they currently make can really pass itself off as truly "pro". The 17" is just "less consumer" than the rest of the lineup, but it's still consumer and with Jobs's comments about moving more towards mainstream consumer products, I can't see Apple seeing the 17" fitting that well into their business model.

Don't get me wrong, I want a seventeen incher next time around, so I don't want to see it go.

But it wouldn't surprise me if Apple just cut something like that one day out of the blue.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I don't see the MBP 17 being cut.

Rather I see the MBP15 and 17 going through some very nice updates incorporating ideas taken from the MBA update. I would not be surprised if they both lose the Optical Drive -- or it becomes an option. I expect both to be thinner and have longer battery life among other things.

OT: I do see one of the three 13 inch models cut:
    • MBP13 (my guess)
    • MB13
    • MBA13 (Just updated, so no)

13. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if the MBP line gets re-named to "Macbook Air Pro" either..

14. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

It's called a Mac Mini ;)

The "Pro" is still a "Pro", just not intended for work related jobs only. It's multimedia based, to give us a workhorse on the job and in our personal lives. And it's one of the best at that. If that isn't "Pro", I don't know what is.

And what good would a job work only laptop be anyways? I don't want a laptop for work and another one for my personal stuff. We'd all complain about that "...what kind of a 'pro' can't handle mathematica and my music?!?..." We'd ask for an all-in-one. And we have it.

Based on their increasing sales volume, and how much we all like our MBPs, I'd say they've got the formula just about right.

15. danysl macrumors member

danysl

Maybe all MBPs not just the 17".

Now that the new Air is out, Apple could bring out new sizes, say 14" and 16" for the Pros. So there wont be cannibalizing at the 13 inch size.

And give higher resolution/cpu options so that they can cover all market segments.

16. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

no... although i would not buy one because i love my 15" it does sell quite a few units.

17. jmazzamj macrumors regular

Danysl, I'd like a 14" MBP and I think that would be an option for Apple when they eventually take the 16:9 route across the line, because let's face it, eventually they will go 16:9 only.

Blu 101, I really think that when Apple decided to get rid of the Express Card slot in the 15", they made the 17" the last Pro portable machine.

As much as I love my 13", horsepower, res and screen real estate apart, the 13 and the 15" are basically the same computer.

18. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

I know what you mean. Just FW800 now.

You know, at first I didn't like the idea of a 16:10 screen, but now I prefer that ratio over 16:9.

19. skiltrip macrumors 68030

There has to be a lowest seller. If they keep chopping the least sold product, they end up with one.

The market for the 17" is people who absolutely can't compromise screen real estate (or need the compromise to be as minimal as possible), but still need the portable solution.

The 17" definitely comes at a price, so Apple makes their money off it. They certainly aren't losing money having it in the lineup.

20. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

we should have a FAIL button.

21. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

LOL i agree. They are not at all the same computer... those things are what set them apart... Lets see... Processor, screen size, battery life, gpu, resolution, no matte... hmmm... definitely the same computer.

22. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

isn't that like, 90% of a computer?

23. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

No way. Though I do completely see Apple dropping the SuperDrive from it and using the space for flash storage, extra battery capacity, etc.

24. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Since it has a good profit margin, I do not see Apple axing it. Also, its size really leaves them a lot of options.

25. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

No, its at best 20% if you want to give it any percentile Rating.

There are a lot of Pro user out there who could do their job on any machine but need a 24/7/53 reliable Workhorse. Me for example.