Do you think this is safe? Buying Tip x

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MatLane, Nov 3, 2008.

1. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Hello all.

Baisicly i was searching through a few other forums about apples student discounts. I now know that it is only 18 and over, but before it was 16 + (which leaves me stuffed)

Somebody mentioned on a forum that when you select the student discount on apples site and order it they do not ask for any proof? only tend to ask you what school or college your at? (UK Store)

Is this true?
    I'm struggling to get the money at the mo and the discount would help me at this moment on the notebook

I still don't agree with this over 18 discounts.

Cheers guys

ML ;-):apple:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Sorry. We're not going to help you cheat Apple's rules of sale.

3. MatLane thread starter macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Not everyone can afford the prices stated.

Thanks

4. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i've clicked stuff to put into a Cart just to see how much it would cost and everything (i want a macbook but now isn't the time) and i clicked student discount and all it asked was my school. no age or anything.

5. MatLane thread starter macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Same here. I'm just wondering if too risk it

Others said they have done it with software and all sorts and they have never asked for official confirmation

6. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

well if you do go for it and they never ask for an age you can't get in trouble. i put in my high school and they still didn't ask for age, and i can guarantee high school freshman aren't 18 because i'm 16 and a junior.

(i do live in the US though so i don't know if there's different laws regarding age)

7. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yes i really do not think it will be any problem getting your student discount...when i went to get mine, i dindt even have my student id with me, they asked me what school i went to and aske dme if i could log in to my student account, i said yes, and i walked towards the computer, the guy stopped me half way and said, I belive you here you go...cha-ching...

8. MatLane thread starter macrumors 6502a

MatLane

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/education_routing?mco=MTIxODk0Nw

It does say 18 college or uni student but, it still does the same as the us store

Does not ask for confirmation. risky business

Attached Files:

9. munnstermac macrumors newbie

I agree with what you are saying and I also disagree, the reason its for over 18's is because when you get to university things get real tight, hence NUS cards etc. The university student population is a target market in itself which apple has very neatly tapped into. But thats beyond the point, I say do it, I highly doubt if you get caught they would come looking for you. But then be it on your conscience.

10. MatLane thread starter macrumors 6502a

MatLane

hehe :)

Over here in the UK they seem to be a bit strict on these discounts. I have tried in my local reseller and they asked me all sorts. But i did speak to somebody and he said either get somebody else who can get a discount for you to do it OR order it online, they dont ask for official confirmation lol

11. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

eh go for it, if you use one of your parent's credit/debit cards or something to buy it online they're most likely gonna believe you're over 18.

12. MatLane thread starter macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Cheers man. I know i am a little worried about it

My other option was ask somebody i know to get it for me on discount? i mean they would never know.

X

13. MatLane thread starter macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Good Point man good point

;-)

14. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

time for me to start saving money so i can get one myself :D

15. MatLane thread starter macrumors 6502a

MatLane

:p

I think im going for it too:apple:

16. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

You know what, Apple dropped their edu discount from $200 to $100 on most of their computers this year...its scams like the one you're contemplating that is probably the reason why. Apple goes on the honour system in some instances and sure enough people line up to abuse it. Look at it this way, if you have to ask for approval you probably know deep inside its the wrong thing to do.

Its $100, how much is your dignity worth?

17. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Agree with above poster - the discount is for higher education for a reason..

18. vista.john macrumors regular

Totally agree, it is sort of an honor system. When people starts abuse it, it will make things go difficult. I was really disappointed to learn that the new Macbook only gets 50 off and pro only 100... I can save more by going some online shops not paying tax...

19. munnstermac macrumors newbie

Just want to throw an idea in there, did apple really drop it because of abuse or did they drop it because they can. Just an idea. And in this life there is nothing wrong with blagging to get something cheaper, if you have got the audacity then do it. If you don't try you don't get. Please don't come at me with rude replies please, I am willing to listen and discuss, but Im not prepared to be shouted down by fan boy's.